Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 19 2013, 06:44 PM   #1
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Brannon Braga on DS9

Hey folks, I interviewed Brannon Braga for TrekCore and asked him to comment on Deep Space Nine. We discuss DS9 towards the end of the first part of the interview, or from about 9:00 on the video.

Brannon commented how he thought DS9 benefited from "being third" and that they had to do something like serialized storytelling to set themselves apart.

He mentioned the episode "The Visitor" is considered a classic but for some reason doesn't get spoken of in the same breath as TNG's classics.

Enjoy!

Link: http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/exc...erview-part-i/
Old March 20 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
DeepSpaceWine
Commander

Re: Brannon Braga on DS9

Heh. DS9 wasn't "third" in the ratings...

(I enjoy both DS9 & Voyager. Who says anyone has to like only one of them?)
DeepSpaceWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Lance
Commodore

What I want to know from Braga is: was Sisko ever supposed to be Future Guy?
Lance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Danger Ace
Commander

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Hey folks, I interviewed Brannon Braga for TrekCore and asked him to comment on Deep Space Nine.
My honest opinion: Brannon Braga [along with Rick Berman] ran the Star trek franchise into the ground through laziness, lack of vision and disdain for the franchises' fandom. I wouldn't take his "word" on anything and his opinions are without value. He is simply a scumbag who knows how to play the system.

Yes, Virginia, this post is an expression of my opinion.
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 11:47 PM   #5
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

He was an unambitious, formulaic writer but scumbag seems kinda over the top.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:40 AM   #6
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I remember Braga saying he thought DS9's "Babel" was one of the worst TV episodes he had ever seen. I guess he doomed himself with that comment. "Babel" wasn't a good episode but it was only the fifth DS9 episode filmed, Braga later wrote such stinkers as "Sub Rosa", "Phantasms" and "Threshold".
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:42 AM   #7
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
My honest opinion: Brannon Braga [along with Rick Berman] ran the Star trek franchise into the ground through laziness, lack of vision and disdain for the franchises' fandom.
This is pretty much how I feel. I actually liked some of Braga's earlier TNG episodes but back then we was working under other people who could rein him in or pair him with another writer. Voyager's main redeeming quality was that it kept Berman and Braga occupied while the people who knew what they were doing made DS9.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:53 AM   #8
Blip
Fleet Captain

^ which in itself is a shame, as Voyager IMHO had real potential to become something special... Sometimes I think I'd like to have seen VOY if it'd had DS9's team running the show, instead of Jeri Taylor and the Dreaded B&B.
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 01:06 AM   #9
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I saw the interview. It's worth watching.

You can believe what he says or not. But I agree with some of his statements... they should have held off on VOY, let DS9 run on its own. I guess the suits wanted VOY so they could launch UPN.

And some of the other stuff, having ENT wait for a season on Earth leading up to the starship launch.

Those ideas would have helped, but TPTB have the money and call the shots, I suppose.

I still think, for all its problems, VOY would have been better off if they tried to do something different.

DS9 changed up just about every single thing in a ST series that had come before. VOY could have similarly been different with their stated premise, but instead opted for a more familiar TNG Jr., with eps that could have easily been in that series rather than unique to VOY. That could still lead to good eps, but eh.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 01:19 AM   #10
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I was reading a post somewhere on the Enterprise board which mentioned that a clueless Paramount suit wanted to have bands playing in the NX-01's mess hall. To me, that illustrates a lack of studio knowledge and respect for the franchise that Berman and Braga were up against.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 01:26 AM   #11
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

Blip wrote: View Post
^ which in itself is a shame, as Voyager IMHO had real potential to become something special... Sometimes I think I'd like to have seen VOY if it'd had DS9's team running the show, instead of Jeri Taylor and the Dreaded B&B.
A "Year of Hell" style serialised series with well defined and interesting characters, Battlestar Voyager basically.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 04:24 AM   #12
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

DS9forever wrote: View Post
I remember Braga saying he thought DS9's "Babel" was one of the worst TV episodes he had ever seen. I guess he doomed himself with that comment. "Babel" wasn't a good episode but it was only the fifth DS9 episode filmed, Braga later wrote such stinkers as "Sub Rosa", "Phantasms" and "Threshold".
Don't forget "Shuttlepod One." Talk about a story that goes nowhere.
Old March 21 2013, 05:01 AM   #13
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Blip wrote: View Post
You do realize that Braga didn't become a showrunner until Season 5, and wasn't anymore by Season 7? He wasn't Producing all that much in VOY.

And he DID want a full Year of Hell.

Honestly people, stop blaming them for things that weren't their fault.

EDIT: Also, way to overlook stuff like "Living Witness" or "Frame of Mind" and only remember stuff like "Sub Rosa" or "Threshold".
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 05:06 AM   #14
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Don't forget "Shuttlepod One." Talk about a story that goes nowhere.
It's a character piece. What's wrong with it?
Old March 21 2013, 05:23 AM   #15
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I do think people are a bit too harsh on Braga. He cowrote All Good Things, that alone should buy him some good will. Did he overstay his welcome? Probably. But given the meddling that the network suits put into Voyager and ENT, it's hard to say if any writer could've spun those into gold.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote