Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 4 2011, 12:57 AM   #1
EEE
Captain

Anbody have the light-up (LED's) TNG Enterprise picture?

I was given one of these light-up (via a few LED's) Enterprise pictures, but it did not come with a power supply. Does anyone have this item and can they tell me the voltage _and_ the amperage the LED's require?

(from ancient experience, I don't want to over-amp any LED's again, as they are ROYAL pain to change due to their size! *grin?*)
EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2011, 02:03 AM   #2
Trekkie2
Commander

Re: Anbody have the light-up (LED's) TNG Enterprise picture?

EEE wrote: View Post
I was given one of these light-up (via a few LED's) Enterprise pictures, but it did not come with a power supply. Does anyone have this item and can they tell me the voltage _and_ the amperage the LED's require?

(from ancient experience, I don't want to over-amp any LED's again, as they are ROYAL pain to change due to their size! *grin?*)
If it's battery operated and 12v or less than it should be okay to use the replacement bulbs sold for strings of lights.
Trekkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2011, 03:01 AM   #3
EEE
Captain

Trekkie2 wrote: View Post
If it's battery operated and 12v or less than it should be okay to use the replacement bulbs sold for strings of lights.
It's not battery operated, and it uses (straight) LED's rather than LED bulbs of any sort. And from experience, LED's are very susceptible to over-amperage. If I recall correctly, don't xmas-like LED bulbs encase the actual LED's? (been at least a decade since I saw one here)

I still cannot determine if it's supposed to be 9v or 12v, much less the all important amperage (aka: "mA" on a typical power adapter).

I was hoping someone had one and could take a look at the stats on their power supply leading to the picture.
Old December 6 2011, 05:10 AM   #4
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

EEE wrote: View Post

I don't have the picture of the Enterprise but I have one of a lighthouse that was made about the same time as the Enterprise D pic. The output on the adapter is
12V DC 800mA. It only has 3 LEDs so YMMV.
Old December 6 2011, 07:48 AM   #5
EEE
Captain

Bah Humbug wrote: View Post
I don't have the picture of the Enterprise but I have one of a lighthouse that was made about the same time as the Enterprise D pic. The output on the adapter is
12V DC 800mA. It only has 3 LEDs so YMMV.
Thanks! That gives me a rough idea! (the Enterprise-D picture has around 40 LED's). did these come out in the 90's?
Old December 7 2011, 05:15 AM   #6
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

^Yes.
Old December 10 2011, 06:30 AM   #7
Sisko_is_my_captain
Captain

What little I know about LEDs is that you generally have to wire a resistor in-line with them to get the right juice going into them. There are a number of LED wiring diagram calculators / generators online, where you enter the voltage requirements of the LED and then it tells you how to wire it and what resistors to use. Then it's just fun with solder and a trip to Radio Shack.

"Don't blame me - I voted for Kodos the Executioner."
Sisko_is_my_captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2011, 11:00 AM   #8
EEE
Captain

Sisko_is_my_captain wrote: View Post
What little I know about LEDs is that you generally have to wire a resistor in-line with them to get the right juice going into them. There are a number of LED wiring diagram calculators / generators online, where you enter the voltage requirements of the LED and then it tells you how to wire it and what resistors to use. Then it's just fun with solder and a trip to Radio Shack.
This is a mass produced, sealed product. The only way to access anything that could be soldered, is to destroy the picture (but the scenario picture you paint, is where I learned the hard way, not to over-amp LED's ever again).
Old May 10 2014, 06:07 AM   #9
EEE
Captain

For anybody else in need of this info in the future (well, it COULD happen!), here it is over 2 years later and I've found out (but not tried yet) that what I need is and adapter with the following specs...
input: 120VAC 60Hz 10w
Output: 12VDC
300mA
Class 2 Transformer
Positive Center {ie. + ---0)--- - }

(The original adapter is a Model: WD1E3006PTP

Note the amperage of 300mA (Gary Mitchell's 800mA adapter mentioned above probably would've smoked these LED's! *ack*)