Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Star Trek 3 Filming To Begin
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

IDW Publishing Trek Comics For April 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Star Trek-Planet of the Apes #2
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 3 2014, 09:02 AM   #1
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

VISOR + holodeck = ?

I always wondered how Geordi could see things like everyone else in the holodeck. There has to be some difference between actual objects in the real world, and their light-and-forcefield recreations that Geordi would see.

Actually, I always thought it would be interesting to have had an episode, perhaps along the lines of a crew emergency training drill or something, to have used the holodeck to project to someone else the world the way Geordi perceived it.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: VISOR + holodeck = ?

Well, I guess if the computer can make a holographic person look the same way a real person does in the visible light portion of the spectrum, I guess it can make it look the way a real person does in the infra-red portion of the spectrum as well.

But that said, I never understood why Geordi couldn't see the way we see. I mean, if the visor can see in the infra-red part of the spectrum, why would the visible part of the spectrum be any more difficult?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Lance
Commodore

Despite all the lip service paid to it in the early seasons, Geordi's VISOR got nerfed pretty bad as TNG went on.

In season one everybody was like, "Woah Geordi, that's so cool, you see things like a Predator and stuff, you can see the heat through solid walls and identify androids by the aura that surrounds them and other awesome shit like that!!!".

In later seasons they just seemed to assume the VISOR made him see just like any other full sighted person for plot reasons.

Because, you know, the clever plot twist or whatever would've totally been ruined ten minutes into an episode if Geordi could just take one look at somebody and immediately say "Hey folks, don't wanna alarm y'all or nothing, but this life-form you all think is a pretty human female in distress is actually a hologram/android/disguised space weevil".
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 05:04 PM   #4
Ro_Laren
Commodore

Interesting. I never thought of that.
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 07:19 PM   #5
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
Because, you know, the clever plot twist or whatever would've totally been ruined ten minutes into an episode if Geordi could just take one look at somebody and immediately say "Hey folks, don't wanna alarm y'all or nothing, but this life-form you all think is a pretty human female in distress is actually a hologram/android/disguised space weevil".
The same can be said for Troi's empathic powers. She would have sniffed out Ardra in a heartbeat.

Geordi's VISOR did spoil something later on in the show. In The Masterpiece Society, he ruins that one lady's subterfuge because he could see there were no cracks, even microscopic, in the biodome.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 06:32 AM   #6
Mojochi
Commodore

It's pretty random throughout. In Starship Mine, he spots odd heat signatures. In The Enemy, he spots heart rate and body temp changes. He even manages to spot lying via body temp and perspiration once or twice, but there's plenty of things he should've seen given those attributes and didn't
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 07:40 AM   #7
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Mojochi wrote: View Post
It's pretty random throughout. In Starship Mine, he spots odd heat signatures. In The Enemy, he spots heart rate and body temp changes. He even manages to spot lying via body temp and perspiration once or twice, but there's plenty of things he should've seen given those attributes and didn't
That's right, it was random. I'd forgotten all about that scene in The Enemy.

He also marveled at "all the detail!" In the Sherlock Holmes program. Yet honestly, AT BEST, I see Geordi swimming in a dizzying soup of holographic energy fields....

How would he "select what I want and disregard the rest" with no frame of reference? Seems to me he'd hate that room like poison!
Old May 4 2014, 08:34 AM   #8
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

In later seasons they just seemed to assume the VISOR made him see just like any other full sighted person for plot reasons.
Case in point:

Old May 4 2014, 11:15 AM   #9
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Geordi's being able to tell holodeck characters from real people might not have been that different from a woman crying during Bambi. What are you crying for? It's obviously a hand-drawn cartoon! But ... she just buys into this, because she wants to. That's it. It's the same with Geordi, perhaps. Yes, he can see the difference, but ... it, quite simply, doesn't interfere with his enjoyment of the program. Especially when the women in it are so easily had ... whatever hang-ups he might've had, were he successful with women, went out the window ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 01:57 PM   #10
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

COuld it be that the ship's computer is able to patch into the VISOR when Geordi is in a holodeck and it directly 'shows' Geordi what he should be seeing, rather than his VISOR operating normally
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Lance
Commodore

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Case in point:

Yeah, exactly.

If Geordi's VISOR worked exactly the way it was sold to us in season one, "Inhertance" would've been forty minutes shorter.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 08:45 PM   #12
LogicDeLuxe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, exactly.

If Geordi's VISOR worked exactly the way it was sold to us in season one, "Inhertance" would've been forty minutes shorter.
Then again, she obviously has a different skin than Data. Probably, that kind of skin does not have that aura.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 09:03 PM   #13
Timo
Admiral

The "LaForge cannot see like we do" thing is something of a myth. Much of the second season is spent showing and telling us that he doesn't want to - that trying visual-spectrum-only is for him like trying the riding crop would be for us, nice for a 30-minute session with a properly clad lady but not something to get too addicted about.

The lie detector thing is nicely pre-empted by the introductory dialogue: "I've got humans down pat" excludes most of the villains of TNG, as the human wrongdoers generally were not lying but simply had misguided loyalties or ideals. Geordi would have his ass covered in the case of Ensign Ro lying, for example.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

The series proper never once implied Geordi could "see like everyone else" The series was consistent with Geordi not being able to see like everyone else and instead saw the entire electro-magnetic spectrum (and then some.) Though it was pretty inconsistent with how well he could make use of and interpret the information he received through the VISOR.

There's a couple times I could think of when the VISOR isn't consistently treated and this comes in "Disaster" when Crusher points out a wall in the cargo bay is hot. Geordi exclaims, "Where?!" even though he clearly should have been able to see it, hell he should've seen the wall was hot before Crusher touched it.
Old May 4 2014, 11:18 PM   #15
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
There's a couple times I could think of when the VISOR isn't consistently treated and this comes in "Disaster" when Crusher points out a wall in the cargo bay is hot. Geordi exclaims, "Where?!" even though he clearly should have been able to see it, hell he should've seen the wall was hot before Crusher touched it.
That's right! I remember thinking that, too.

I suppose GeordiVision is probably like the 'Data using contractions' thing, where nearly every episode features a 'slip'.

And suppose Geordi has a sudden winning streak at poker? How could the others not suspect he was using his 'attributes'? And they supposedly "had a hard time creating conflict between 24th century characters"?