Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 23 2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Best and worst super team headquarters

What would you consider to be the best and worst examples of the super hero team headquarters?

Personally I think that the best team headquarters is the fairly recent Justice League paring of the Hall of Justice and the Watchtower. The Hall of Justice serves as the public facade of the League housing meeting rooms, museum, and trophy room while the Watchtower is the place where the real work is done. It helps that the space based headquarters is out f reach of most villains, thus forcing them to focus most of their hostility on a ground based structure that serves as little more than a PR tool. The other thing that I appreciate about the Hall is that even though its a public place in a major city, it is never shown to be close to any other structure. Its usually sitting by itself in a park thus minimizing the risk to the surrounding city should it be attacked. (though the Metrotower on JLU, despite having ample parkland, was uncomfortably close to the other buildings in Metropolis). Asthetically I prefer the Young Justice Hall of Justice and the JLU/pre New 52 Watchtower III.

The worst headquarters, to me at least, are the crazy public skyscrapers that the Avengers and Fantastic 4 tend to use. They just seem reckless. They are everything that the Hall of Justice and Watchtower combo are not...they are insanely public targets that also manage to put the public at risk. The Baxter Building/Four Freedoms Plaza actually had tenants that frequently complained about all the destruction/difficulties caused by haing the FF in the buildings. Similarly, why would anyone agree to go to work in Stark/Avengers Tower?
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 03:51 AM   #2
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Best and worst super team headquarters

The Teen Titans being based on out of a T-Shaped building?
Old March 23 2013, 03:55 AM   #3
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Haha, I was gonna say Titans Tower too, because what's more awesome and practical than a giant T-shaped skyscraper, right?
Old March 23 2013, 04:00 AM   #4
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I've always loved The Hall of Doom, something about it like Black Manta and Lex Luthor's green-and-purple armored suits are cool no matter how objectively silly they might be.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 04:02 AM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Worst? That would be the 'Hall of Evil' from the Superfriends "Universe of Evil" episode. It has absolutely no defense mechanisms of any kind (it's right out there in the open), despite the fact that extremely dangerous super criminals are inside. Plus it has that goofy devil face right on there.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 04:04 AM   #6
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It's funny how old superhero cartoons willfully refused to make any sense whatsoever.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 04:05 AM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Then again, they were made for children, and you can only go so far with that. Such as the Superfriends vampire episodes, which in both cases spread vampirism by...laser beams.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 04:06 AM   #8
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Avengers Mansion. the JLA Satellite and Titans Tower are the best. The X-Mansion/School is pretty good, but reminds me too much of Avengers Mansion. Even though they first appeared at the same time. Though being away from NYC in a semi rural setting is plus for the neighbors.

The worst, the various mountain caverns used by the JLA, the COTU and the Teen Titans. It worked for Batman because his name is Batman!!!!!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Random thought, With current communication technology would superhero team headquarters even be necessary?

Plus with characters like Superman, The Flash, and Green Lantern, etc, being able to meet up with someone any place in the world quickly, what is the point?

Its just makes them a public target for super-villains. Now the lower power level teams like the Titans I could see but not the JLA. So in that way The Hall of Justice works as their only "headquarters". Its a public embassy more than anything.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 08:07 AM   #10
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Then again, they were made for children, and you can only go so far with that. Such as the Superfriends vampire episodes, which in both cases spread vampirism by...laser beams.
Well, that's not exactly fair. Avatar TLA, Batman TAS, and Gargoyles were also all made for children, but took themselves and their audience seriously. Just because it's made for kids doesn't mean you have to do it poorly or crappily.
Old March 23 2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
Random thought, With current communication technology would superhero team headquarters even be necessary?

Plus with characters like Superman, The Flash, and Green Lantern, etc, being able to meet up with someone any place in the world quickly, what is the point?

Its just makes them a public target for super-villains. Now the lower power level teams like the Titans I could see but not the JLA. So in that way The Hall of Justice works as their only "headquarters". Its a public embassy more than anything.
Communications would not diminish the need for a HQ. The other reason for having a meeting place is to promote the idea of "the team" as a single unit. That means all the members need t spend time together, train together, and share common tasks. This gives each member of the group an idea of what the other members are capable of doing out in the field. Groups inherently work better when they spend time together.

Headquarters also serves as a means of equalizing the resources of the team. Historically, through the headquarters, the rich members end up subsidizing the activities of the other members. Less affluent members or members not from Earth will frequently live in the HQ full time
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day

Last edited by Gotham Central; March 23 2013 at 08:24 AM.
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 08:35 AM   #12
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Both the Baxter Building and Stark/Avengers Tower have upgraded security with their more sensitive areas that aren't for public access...but yeah they do make easy targets despite that. I'm guessing the pay is good? Wonder if hazard pay is part of their salaries for the people that are employees of the buildings Plus I'm guessing some take the job because there are superheroes in the building, something exciting about that.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Mike Farley
Commodore

In Marvel's NYC you can get attacked by a super-villain no matter where you are. Might as well work where you KNOW there's super-security.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 02:01 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Well, that's not exactly fair. Avatar TLA, Batman TAS, and Gargoyles were also all made for children, but took themselves and their audience seriously. Just because it's made for kids doesn't mean you have to do it poorly or crappily.
Absolutely right. In fact, the attitude that anything meant for children can be handled shoddily, that quality should be reserved only for adults, is quite a horrifying notion if you think about it. Surely we owe it to our children to strive for the highest quality in everything we do for them.

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Communications would not diminish the need for a HQ. The other reason for having a meeting place is to promote the idea of "the team" as a single unit. That means all the members need t spend time together, train together, and share common tasks. This gives each member of the group an idea of what the other members are capable of doing out in the field. Groups inherently work better when they spend time together.

Headquarters also serves as a means of equalizing the resources of the team. Historically, through the headquarters, the rich members end up subsidizing the activities of the other members. Less affluent members or members not from Earth will frequently live in the HQ full time
There's also the matter of operational security. Communications can be intercepted. Although that rationale works best for a secret HQ, or an inaccessible one like the Watchtower.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 03:48 PM   #15
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Absolutely right. In fact, the attitude that anything meant for children can be handled shoddily, that quality should be reserved only for adults, is quite a horrifying notion if you think about it. Surely we owe it to our children to strive for the highest quality in everything we do for them.
I dunno, I LOVED all those crappy 80's cartoons and I'd like to think I turned out alright. I was very entertained and still think back on most of that stuff quite fondly.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote