Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 24 2013, 12:26 AM   #31
SwimmingGnu
Lieutenant

Re: How Do You Define Success In Life?

I agree that money makes you happier when you need them to fill your basic needs. But if your basic needs are already met, more money than you need won't necessarily make you happier.
SwimmingGnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 12:35 AM   #32
teacock
Admiral

I get very irritated with people's lack of gratitude so to speak for having their quite generous definition of basic needs met. People seem to treat having enough money to live without fear of being hungry, homeless or ill as though it were breathing, a given to being alive.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 01:04 AM   #33
Relayer1
Commodore

auntiehill wrote: View Post
To me, success is happiness. Happiness to me means many things.

It means having someone to share my life with. It means companionship, camaraderie and affection.

It means feeling fulfilled with how I spend my days, engage with work and hobbies.

It means having enough financial security that I'm not stressing over every penny. It doesn't mean having everything I want; it means having everything I need and being able to sleep at night without worrying about money. I like knowing that I will have a home that is my safe haven from the world.

It means being happy with myself, not being ashamed or apologetic about who I am physically, intellectually and emotionally.
I wish I could have put it this well.

The best I had come up with was not being miserable and not being greedy/ambitious. The continual drive to get more will also mean you struggle to find peace and satisfaction.
Old March 24 2013, 01:25 AM   #34
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
^ Obviously when people say "money doesn't matter" they aren't saying it's awesome to be some starving kid in Africa. They mean money doesn't matter once you've achieved financial security.
Then money matters.

Yes, money matters. I just said that. You're taking that phrase way too literally.

teacake wrote:
People's definition of financial security can vary. I know mine is dramatically lower than a lot of people who stress over really really wanting a new bathroom or car or saying the MUST have a holiday.
Yeah, that's true. Some people truly do need more money than others to be happy. Whether that's a character flaw or not is open to debate.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 01:30 AM   #35
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Stole my damn line.

Success in life...I have no idea. Used to be not dying due to my own hand or my tormentors. Managed that. Now I've held down a job for several years in a row and is decently financially stable. Now I'm managing to make enough money to save up for trips I want to make. Next step I suppose is meeting someone. Or at least meeting people in general, get a sex life and so on.

I guess I'll let you know about five minutes before I die what I think success in life is.
Old March 24 2013, 01:55 AM   #36
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

Qapla'!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 01:55 AM   #37
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

^ Obviously when people say "money doesn't matter" they aren't saying it's awesome to be some starving kid in Africa. They mean money doesn't matter once you've achieved financial security.
Then money matters.

Yes, money matters. I just said that. You're taking that phrase way too literally.
No, what you said was that aside from financial security, money doesn't matter. That's a whole different ballgame.

That's like saying "As long as I get enough to eat, lack of food doesn't bother me."

Also, Zed was an idiot who was repeatedly defeated by punk teenagers.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 02:32 AM   #38
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

wouldn't a bad guy in that pose signify everything's going good?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Rusty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 02:35 AM   #39
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

No, what you said was that aside from financial security, money doesn't matter. That's a whole different ballgame.

That's like saying "As long as I get enough to eat, lack of food doesn't bother me."
No, it's more like saying "As long as I get enough to eat, the lack of dining out at five star restaurants doesn't bother me." I just don't understand why you went all Data on Warp Coil when he said that money doesn't matter.

Also, Zed was an idiot who was repeatedly defeated by punk teenagers.
Zedd was awesome. He did destroy the Green Ranger powers after all and then there's the whole destroying the Machine Empire thing. Even the Rangers couldn't do that.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."

Last edited by Kelthaz; March 24 2013 at 04:25 AM.
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 07:06 AM   #40
mos6507
Captain

Life decisions change bigtime when you have kids. It's easy to drop out and go all Kerouac when you don't have children to support.

The point being that relationships are a key part of what you get out of life. Relationships can both help and hinder you. Think "It's a Wonderful Life". That's why the sewing of the wild oats tends to happen when you first get out of the nest, when you're the most independent.

It's also why the mid-life-crisis is so tough, because it's when life's obligations to others are the strongest. If you haven't already figured out what you're on this planet for, you're really behind the 8-ball.

A few years ago I was making close to a six figure salary, but I spent over a dozen years in IT and burned out on it. Yet here I am again, forced by circumstance, to give it a shot again. Life is so much more than just the money aspect. You do what you have to do to survive, but it doesn't mean you have to like it. Everyone has a calling in life and few people ever manage to make that their career. Now you've got a recession that just doesn't want to go away making matters worse.
Old March 24 2013, 07:09 AM   #41
teacock
Admiral

I can't help it, I have to either make an incredibly lame joke about quilts or point out that it is sowing, not sewing.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 08:29 AM   #42
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

No,
Yes it is. That's what you said. You even bolded the text to make your point.

it's more like saying "As long as I get enough to eat, the lack of dining out at five star restaurants doesn't bother me." I just don't understand why you went all Data on Warp Coil when he said that money doesn't matter.
No, because now you're differentiating between types of wealth based on how much money one has, which goes back to my original statement that not having enough money to meet food/shelter/medicine requirements really does matter.

This is what you said:
Kelthaz wrote:
Which means that for anyone who has not achieved financial security, money does matter. Do you know how many people that is?

We've been discussing "I have a powerful need to eat" money, not surplus income for extravagances, and that does matter. You were the one that changed it to mean something such as having financial security, which is absurd, because if people were financially secure, you'd see a lot less worry about money, because most people worry about money so they can pay bills, feed their kids, and afford medicine. Not go out to a five star restaurant every weekend. To say otherwise is to be completely out of touch with how most people live.

Now, I'm not saying Warp Coil is, because his comment was simple enough. I just wanted to make the point that for most people, money matters in a significant way. You have complicated that, and you still missed the point and muddied the water.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 03:06 PM   #43
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
I have to go with J and teacake on this one. The only people who say money can't buy happiness are those who've never really been poor.
I've heard poor people say that out of bitterness, and rich people say it because they were spoiled and didn't appreciate what they had.

So the saying is pretty much empty and has no meaning.

Also the variations:
"Who cares about being rich, be glad you're healthy instead." Yeah well, get sick and recognize how much it helps being rich.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:12 PM   #44
sonak
Vice Admiral

I think success is about happiness and being comfortable with who you are and what you have. I know very educated people with a lot of money who aren't happy, and I know people with crappy jobs and low status who are pretty happy.

I think the key is detachment. We don't really control nearly as much as we think we do about what we accomplish and don't, and yet society is arranged as if we are totally in control of where we end up.
Old March 24 2013, 08:43 PM   #45
Use of Time
Commodore

Success or happiness to me is a decent balance of my life at work and my life at home. I want to feel accomplished at work but not smothered or defined by it. I want my free time on the weekends and evenings with my family to be something that they can count on. I could always use more money but my family and I don't do without the things we need. Right now I am content.