Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 12 2013, 04:48 AM   #1
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Women, throw away your bra

Women have long been told that a good bra can help support the chest, relieve back pain and prevent sagging. However, a new 15-year French study reveals the opposite: bras do little to reduce back pain and, over time, they can actually make breasts sag even more.
Researcher Prof. Jean-Denis Rouillon, a sports science expert from the University of Besanšon in eastern France claims that "bras are a false necessity," according to The Local.
Rest of story here

I think finding a good, comfortable bra an almost impossible task.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 05:31 AM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Women, throw away your bra

I love bras. I will never give them up. I have quite a few that are so comfortable you never feel them while still looking great under clothes. If I find one I think is fantastic I go back and buy 5. As to sagging, time and pregnancy does that to most women (who choose to have children). I've wondered though how much sagging do you get with age if you never have children and never become overweight?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 05:37 AM   #3
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I'm so sick of my boobs. Always in the way, always ruining everything. I've found one decent sports bra but it's expensive so I often just double up with cheaper ones.
Old April 12 2013, 05:43 AM   #4
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Ruining everything?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 06:25 AM   #5
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Definitely not inclined to give up my bras. For one thing, I don't have to worry about embarrassing shirt issues, if you know what I mean.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 05:06 PM   #6
not
Lieutenant Commander

I thought BS when I heard about the study's conclusion but I haven't read it. It occurred to me that it may be true for small breasts but most women would never run without a sport bra. I don’t know how any athletic woman can believe it.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 05:08 PM   #7
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

That article also says that, for women who have been wearing bras for a long time, it is NOT recommended to give up wearing a bra. I am one of those women, so no thanks; I'll stick with the bra.

While his initial results "validated the hypothesis that the bra is a false 'need'," he says that women who have been wearing bras for a long time would not gain any benefit from stopping now.

There isn't a chance in hell that I would unleash the twins on the general public.
*shudder*
The horror...
Old April 12 2013, 05:08 PM   #8
not
Lieutenant Commander

Kinda cool if this remains a female thread
Old April 12 2013, 06:12 PM   #9
propita
Rear Admiral

Can't find a comfortable bra? I was surprised that Victoria's Secrets really are as comfortable as they are. While I'm at the upper end, number-wise, there are "right" styles and "wrong" styles for me. Hubby has been the one insisting on me going there, once we found out that they DO fit me, to the point that I've said NO MORE! My dresser drawer is full.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Ashu
Vice Admiral

View Ashu's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Ashu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashu

I'd rather drop my pants than my bra.

Pants are the spawn of satan.

" Because no matter what the future holds, no matter how fat we travel, a part of us -a very important part- remains there, on the TrekBBS" - shamelessmcbundy
Ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 06:15 PM   #11
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Welcome to the board, not LOL I think this thread will sooner or later offer more info than the males of the species can endure with their delicate nerves and they'll back off *snicker*

I hardly ever wear a bra. I would like to wear one for running/jogging, but it's easier to find a cow that can knit than to find a decent sports bra in a size 90 D (GB 40D, US 40C, AUS/NZ 18C). (Btw, here's a good bra size converter: http://www.85b.org/bra_conv.php )

I can confirm that breasts don't sag much if you never wear a bra. Being close to 50 gravity is starting to take its toll, but compared to others at this age I'm still in better shape (literally).

Another bra problem that the industry ignores completely is the fact that almost all women are not precisely symmetrical. Why can't the manufacturers make bras with different cup sizes?!
Old April 12 2013, 06:22 PM   #12
teya
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I've wondered though how much sagging do you get with age if you never have children and never become overweight?
Skin still loses elasticity and breasts lose density and volume with age. So they still sag.

I never had kids and was never overweight. And I went braless for the most part into my 30s.

I'll still go braless at home, but wouldn't out in public.
Old April 12 2013, 06:26 PM   #13
teya
Vice Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
Can't find a comfortable bra? I was surprised that Victoria's Secrets really are as comfortable as they are. While I'm at the upper end, number-wise, there are "right" styles and "wrong" styles for me. Hubby has been the one insisting on me going there, once we found out that they DO fit me, to the point that I've said NO MORE! My dresser drawer is full.
VS doesn't have anything for the lower end of the numbers...

I ended up having to go to a specialty shop. It was amazing. Instead of being a 32A, it turns out I'm a 28C.

It's actually nice to have bras that fit. Finally. It's only taken me to age 56 to find 'em.
Old April 12 2013, 06:31 PM   #14
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

One advantage of this long winter is I can get away with not wearing a bra for longer. I rarely wear a bra when I have several layers of clothes on. Except when I'm skiing- then I need the support.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 06:51 PM   #15
not
Lieutenant Commander

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Welcome to the board, not LOL I think this thread will sooner or later offer more info than the males of the species can endure with their delicate nerves and they'll back off *snicker*

Another bra problem that the industry ignores completely is the fact that almost all women are not precisely symmetrical. Why can't the manufacturers make bras with different cup sizes?!
I've heard of woman with this issue. I would take apart a bra's padding that are formed like cups and double-pad a bra. The cups come out in the wash anyway and I never get around to putting them back in -I'm not sure how tricky it is.

Thanks for the welcome