RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,410
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 492
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 25 2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
11/22/63 by Stephen King

I realize this book's been out for awhile, but I loved it. It might be my favorite one Stephen King ever wrote. What did you all think of it? (I've heard talk of a film version but that seems to be in development hell at this time. )

And I wonder if it's possible to tie this book into The Dark Tower like so many other of King's works. Those "time bubbles" might be "thinnies" from the DT mythos...
Old March 25 2013, 04:09 AM   #2
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: 11/22/63 by Stephen King

i thought it was really great. especially the ending. the ending was heart breaking.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 04:22 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

To the public at large I imagine they see it all as equally cheesy.

EDIT: ignore this, meant for another thread

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; March 25 2013 at 04:35 AM.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 04:33 AM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I didn't think it was cheesy at all.

Old March 25 2013, 04:35 AM   #5
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Whoops, no idea how that posted here, that was meant for the Godzilla thread.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 04:52 AM   #6
Mistral
Vice Admiral

It was a good book, if a bit long. At least he didn't use a cop-out ending like so many non-scifi authors tend to do when dabbling in the genre.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed it, even if I adhere to the conspiracy theory re JFK. It was overly long but that's to be expected from King now. At least I finished it - I've picked up several of his over recent years and not gotten past a few chapters. And the ending was particularly good, particularly the alternate history set out by the hero's actions.

This would have to be one helluva long movie. I think like a lot of King fare it might work better as a miniseries.
Old March 25 2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Starkers
Admiral

I loved it, and believe me when I say I've never been the greatest King fan in the world, and I too have not managed to finish at least one of his books. I thought it was brilliant, too long, far too long, and actually I cared less about the whole JFK aspect than I did about the man out of time/romance elements, and the thing damn near made me cry in the end.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 02:26 PM   #9
The Wormhole
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Isn't that basically a common trope to time travel stories where a significant historical event, whether real or fictional, is changed?
Old March 25 2013, 04:22 PM   #10
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Isn't that basically a common trope to time travel stories where a significant historical event, whether real or fictional, is changed?
Yep. Its quite an unfortunate one, too. Its basically a way to justify a tragedy.

I prefer universes where saving JFK doesn't really change anything.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

The 80's Twilight Zone had an episode very similar to this. It's called "Profile in Silver". And yes, that is Andrew Robinson, who pretty much owns the role of JFK.

Old March 26 2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed this book very much. Couple things, like the realities of future knowledge regarding gambling, and how and why the burgers at the present-day dinier were so good and cheap were particularly enjoyable to me.
Old March 26 2013, 01:48 PM   #13
scnj
Captain

And I wonder if it's possible to tie this book into The Dark Tower like so many other of King's works. Those "time bubbles" might be "thinnies" from the DT mythos...
Sort of. 11.22.63 ties in with IT, which has ties to The Dark Tower. There's also a scene in Wolves of the Calla where the ka-tet discuss going back in time to save JFK and conclude it would be a bad idea.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I'm not a big Stephen King fan at all but I thoroughly enjoyed this novel! I didn't care for the ending as much as others because it countered its own theme. But, it is a novel I'd recommend to others.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 11:56 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I enjoyed this book very much. Couple things, like the realities of future knowledge regarding gambling, and how and why the burgers at the present-day dinier were so good and cheap were particularly enjoyable to me.
yeah, I thought it was pretty funny how Al Templeton always was accused of making his burgers out of cats or dogs or skunks or whatever.

I really hope the film version of this book has a chance to get made. Still got my fingers crossed...