Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 21 2013, 10:21 PM   #16
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Re: New poster seems proof UHURA has replaced DR. MCCOY in the big thr

This isn't news.

This is a founding principle of the Abramsverse.
Old March 21 2013, 11:20 PM   #17
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum

View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum

I like that Uhura is actually doing things now. Also I don't really remember McCoy being on any poster as if he were the focus of the movie.
Old March 21 2013, 11:39 PM   #18
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
I like that Uhura is actually doing things now. Also I don't really remember McCoy being on any poster as if he were the focus of the movie.
That's because he wasn't.

Don't get me wrong. McCoy is one of my favorite STAR TREK characters, but the fact that the female lead rates the poster and he doesn't is hardly some pernicious new development.

As far back as TMP, the poster emphasized Kirk and Spock . . . and Lieutenant Ilia.
Old March 22 2013, 12:00 AM   #19
teacock
Admiral

You need a women on posters. Lots of people like women

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 12:06 AM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Always been the case. I'm staring at the poster for the old 30's movie version of THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES right now. Guess what? Wendy Barrie who played the female lead is on the poster--but Watson isn't!

The more things change . . . .
Old March 22 2013, 12:23 AM   #21
RAMA
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post

Or even two women, preferably with tails...
Old March 22 2013, 12:25 AM   #22
Christopher
Writer

RAMA wrote: View Post
Urban is a bigger star, who has been in bigger movies...
Bigger movies? Saldana was the female lead in Avatar, which is the highest-grossing motion picture in the history of the world, as well as the biggest-selling Blu-Ray release of all time. How is there a bigger movie than that?

Okay, Urban had a small role in Lord of the Rings, but he was kind of buried under the huge ensemble. Other than that, the biggest movie he's had a major role in other than ST has been The Bourne Supremacy, which made less than a fourth of what Avatar made.

As for which one is the bigger star, this is admittedly an imperfect survey, but "Zoe Saldana" gets 12.3 million Google hits while "Karl Urban" gets 5.6 million. Also, according to Rotten Tomatoes, since 2001 Saldana has been in 32 films with a combined box office of $1.79 billion, while Urban has been in 29 films with a combined box office of $1.58 billion.

So I just don't see what gives you the idea that Urban is a bigger star. Maybe he is in New Zealand, but not in the US or worldwide.

and McCoy still plays a bigger part. He's the current best friend of the main focus of JJ's movie...Kirk, and his story of growth to the 5 year mission. Uhura is secondary or even tertiary to this.
I'm sorry, did you watch the first movie? Uhura was made far more than tertiary, given close ties to both Kirk and Spock, even if her relationship with Kirk was adversarial. These films are clearly as much Spock's story as Kirk's, and Uhura plays a very important role to this Spock. And her role as gadfly to Kirk is comparable to McCoy's.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 12:25 AM   #23
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

There is no Big Three anymore. It's a Big Two now, with Kirk and Spock, and then there's the rest of the cast. Uhura's expanded role and presence in the trailers and posters is simple marketing.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 12:33 AM   #24
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Urban is a bigger star, who has been in bigger movies...
Bigger movies? Saldana was the female lead in Avatar, which is the highest-grossing motion picture in the history of the world, as well as the biggest-selling Blu-Ray release of all time. How is there a bigger movie than that?

Okay, Urban had a small role in Lord of the Rings, but he was kind of buried under the huge ensemble. Other than that, the biggest movie he's had a major role in other than ST has been The Bourne Supremacy.

As for which one is the bigger star, this is admittedly an imperfect survey, but "Zoe Saldana" gets 12.3 million Google hits while "Karl Urban" gets 5.6 million. Also, according to Rotten Tomatoes, since 2001 Saldana has been in 32 films with a combined box office of $1.79 billion, while Urban has been in 29 films with a combined box office of $1.58 billion.

So I just don't see what gives you the idea that Urban is a bigger star. Maybe he is in New Zealand, but not in the US or worldwide.

and McCoy still plays a bigger part. He's the current best friend of the main focus of JJ's movie...Kirk, and his story of growth to the 5 year mission. Uhura is secondary or even tertiary to this.
I'm sorry, did you watch the first movie? Uhura was made far more than tertiary, given close ties to both Kirk and Spock, even if her relationship with Kirk was adversarial. These films are clearly as much Spock's story as Kirk's, and Uhura plays a very important role to this Spock. And her role as gadfly to Kirk is comparable to McCoy's.
I'd be happy to add up the grosses of Saldana's movies to Urbans because I count $2 billion alone for LOTR movies for Urban. Urban has starred or guest starred in more and while she was in Avatar, just 2 of Urban's movies grossed about the same as that one which is the highest grossing movie ever (in which her real face never appeared even once..people don't know who she by face recognition or voice from that movie)...now how many actors could say that? As for web hits...come on, women always get more web searches then men, its inevitable.

Spocks story in the first movie was relatively equal, but the second movie makes Spock secondary with development. In both movies, the trailers focused on Kirk's story with the voice over...which clearly establishes what they are going for.
Old March 22 2013, 12:43 AM   #25
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Did run a quick search, Zoe's movies have outgrossed Urbans, but if you subtract Avatar her grosses worldwide fall to about $1 billion. $654 million of that is Pirates of the Caribbean. All her other movies made $400 milliom or so. Subtract BOTH LOTR movies and Urban's total is slightly higher than Saldana's without Avatar. Plus I think her roles were smaller in her earlier movies than Urban, who can easily headline his own movie.

RAMA
Old March 22 2013, 12:47 AM   #26
MarsSpectre
Captain

Bigger movies? Saldana was the female lead in Avatar, which is the highest-grossing motion picture in the history of the world,
Hidden behind CGI. They could've stuck any actress there and I doubt it would have made any difference.
MarsSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 12:48 AM   #27
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Uhura's expanded role and presence in the trailers and posters is simple marketing.
Yep. It's a manufactured by-product driven by focus groups charged with capturing the widest possible demographic.

Kinda like how Halle Berry's Storm all of a sudden appeared front and centre in the X-Men movies at the expense of Cyclops.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 01:17 AM   #28
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
Bigger movies? Saldana was the female lead in Avatar, which is the highest-grossing motion picture in the history of the world,
Hidden behind CGI. They could've stuck any actress there and I doubt it would have made any difference.
That's not even close to being true.
I would suggest watching a few behind the scenes featurettes on how they do performance capture for these things and how integral the actor's work is, especially in something like Avatar or the LOTR/Hobbit movies.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 01:21 AM   #29
MarsSpectre
Captain

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
I would suggest watching a few behind the scenes featurettes on how they do performance capture for these things and how integral the actor's work is, especially in something like Avatar or the LOTR/Hobbit movies.
My point is, Saldana's performance wasn't critical to the success of the movie, in my opinion. Any half decent actress could have done the same thing she did and the movie still would have been a blockbuster.
MarsSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 01:28 AM   #30
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
My point is, Saldana's performance wasn't critical to the success of the movie, in my opinion. Any half decent actress could have done the same thing she did and the movie still would have been a blockbuster.
It is certainly very possible that it would have been a blockbuster with someone else.
Then again, I'm sure James Cameron auditioned plenty of candidates before hiring Saldana so he must have seen something there that he thought would fit with & elevate his movie.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote