Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 6 2013, 06:03 PM   #76
tighr
Commodore

Re: NBC: Jimmy Fallon to replace Jay Leno in 2014

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
I haven't watched a single minute of late night talk shows in three years, not since I cancelled cable and stopped watching Conan. The whole Tonight Show snafu soured me on the concept! Leno is an ass and should have told NBC to shove it, but selfishly he wanted his show back. Now I just follow Conan on Facebook and watch the funny clips he posts on his website.
Start watching Craig Ferguson. He's different.
I have watched Craig, and yet I still prefer Conan's brand of comedy. Plus, I'm not in college anymore. I find it difficult to stay up until midnight just to watch a daily talk show, when I have to be at work at 7am. With Conan on TBS, I could at least watch it at 8pm on the West Coast.
Old April 6 2013, 06:17 PM   #77
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I haven't watched a single minute of late night talk shows in three years, not since I cancelled cable and stopped watching Conan. The whole Tonight Show snafu soured me on the concept! Leno is an ass and should have told NBC to shove it, but selfishly he wanted his show back. Now I just follow Conan on Facebook and watch the funny clips he posts on his website.
I have watched Craig, and yet I still prefer Conan's brand of comedy. Plus, I'm not in college anymore. I find it difficult to stay up until midnight just to watch a daily talk show, when I have to be at work at 7am. With Conan on TBS, I could at least watch it at 8pm on the West Coast.
Yeah well then don't start watching Craig Ferguson.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 07:37 PM   #78
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

It was bound to eventually happen, and I'm not so surprised. I just find it ironic in terms of timing as my Dad and I just got back (literally as of last night) from a trip to California where we attentended a taping. I guess those mugs are now collectibles.

What puzzles me is the choice of Fallon. I thought his ratings weren't necessarily good, at least when he started and his format is different. But then maybe different is what NBC needs now. They did toy with different formats, including a variety show format, before they settled on the current one we know of now.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 07:51 PM   #79
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

NBC wants young viewers, Fallon is better in young viewers.
Old April 6 2013, 09:28 PM   #80
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

I work from 7am to 4 pm and watch Craig after I get home from work. How? I DVR it each night. Pretty much every show I watch is either DVRed or On Demand.
Old April 8 2013, 09:09 AM   #81
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Caligula wrote: View Post
foxhot wrote: View Post
I just wish somebody would be allowed to break Alec Baldwin's hosting record.
Justin Timberlake is still young, and he's just joined the Five-Timers Club. The trouble is that leaves him 11 episodes behind Alec Baldwin, so he has some catching up to do yet. The only ones within reach of Baldwin right now are Steve Martin (15) and John Goodman (12).
I'll bet that they're nowhere near Buck Henry's or Christopher Walken's records.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 09:26 AM   #82
Yoda
Rear Admiral

The best way to watch Conan IMO is to subscribe Team Coco on YouTube. Though you probably want a good ad blocker. I just click on the clips that look interesting as they pop up in my subscription feed. Don't have to wade through the crap, never miss any Triumph or Clueless Gamer. Win/win.
Old April 8 2013, 11:27 AM   #83
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^The only problem is, you have to be a U.S. citizen to see it, and live in the USA (although Canadians without cable can see Conan on CTV.)
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 12:09 PM   #84
Yoda
Rear Admiral

^Well being a US citizen is surely not a requirement! Appearing to be accessing YouTube from the United States may be a requirement, if I moved abroad I would probably get some kind of VPN setup so I don't get region-locked on content I'm accustomed to online.
Old April 8 2013, 04:59 PM   #85
tighr
Commodore

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Caligula wrote: View Post
foxhot wrote: View Post
I just wish somebody would be allowed to break Alec Baldwin's hosting record.
Justin Timberlake is still young, and he's just joined the Five-Timers Club. The trouble is that leaves him 11 episodes behind Alec Baldwin, so he has some catching up to do yet. The only ones within reach of Baldwin right now are Steve Martin (15) and John Goodman (12).
I'll bet that they're nowhere near Buck Henry's or Christopher Walken's records.
According to The Five-Timers Club wikipedia article, Buck Henry has 10 appearances and Walken has 7.

Dave Grohl has more appearances than both of them, as a member of both Nirvana and Foo Fighters (plus the time last year where he played with Paul McCartney... 12 total). Although, the jury is still out on whether or not being a musical guest counts towards your membership in the Five-Timers club (would seem to exclude Paul Simon, who only has 4 hosting appearances).
Old April 8 2013, 07:32 PM   #86
Scout101
Admiral

Shouldn't count unless you're the host AND musical guest. It's not how many times you were ON the show, but hosted it...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 09:48 PM   #87
tighr
Commodore

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Shouldn't count unless you're the host AND musical guest. It's not how many times you were ON the show, but hosted it...
Well, considering the genesis of the "Five Timers Club" was an actual sketch on the show that Tom Hanks hosted (and we see it a second time in the Timberlake episode), and that Paul Simon appears in both sketches, explicitly as a member, I would say it does count. Paul Simon has been the musical guest nine times. The "rules" of what does and does not count should get to be made by those who invented the concept.

And Timberlake has hosted outright 5 times; he has been the musical guest in three of those appearances. He also appeared once with N'Sync (technically making that 6 appearances).
Old April 8 2013, 10:55 PM   #88
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Well, considering the genesis of the "Five Timers Club" was an actual sketch on the show that Tom Hanks hosted (and we see it a second time in the Timberlake episode), and that Paul Simon appears in both sketches, explicitly as a member, I would say it does count. Paul Simon has been the musical guest nine times. The "rules" of what does and does not count should get to be made by those who invented the concept.

And Timberlake has hosted outright 5 times; he has been the musical guest in three of those appearances. He also appeared once with N'Sync (technically making that 6 appearances).
Doesn't one of the characters in the sketch state that membership in the 5 Timers Club means you've hosted 5 times, as opposed to hosting and "guesting"?

Besides that, the hysterical feud between Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin is all about the number of times hosting the show. Number of guest appearances hasn't seemed to matter up to this point. I think that perhaps Paul Simon was in the sketch because he was in town and has been such a great friend of the show. They made a point of letting us know that Akroyd wasn't in the club and it is a fact that he has not hosted 5 times. So hosting does appear to be the significant stat.

BTW, I can't believe we're arguing what is canon in a SNL sketch.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:12 PM   #89
Scout101
Admiral

Right, because Akroyd has also been musical guest as part of the Blues Brothers, doesn't seem to have helped him. Even with that, that's hosting and/or musical guest 3 times total.

Got plenty of appearances, though, counting this one.

Actually, if they were counting musical guest appearances, wouldn't they have done the Timberlake 5-timer bit last time, as that's his 5th appearance? This was his 6th...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 05:02 PM   #90
tighr
Commodore

I figure its 5 hosting OR 5 musical guest appearances, not a combination of the two. So this season's episode would be the first time that Timberlake has crossed the threshold of 5 in either category (5 hosting, 4 musical guest, but in 6 total episodes).

That would account for Paul Simon, who has more than 5 musical appearances but not more than 5 hosting appearances.