IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: What ethnicity are you?
White 78 82.98%
Black 2 2.13%
Asian 1 1.06%
Hispanic 1 1.06%
Mixed race 5 5.32%
Other 7 7.45%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 29 2013, 09:57 PM   #166
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: What ethnicity are you?

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
To be fair, there is a pretty distinct Italian-American culture on some parts of the states, but I get what you're saying.
While true, Italian-American culture isn't the same thing as Italian culture. And I say this as an Italian-American (ish) who does speak Italian (that I had to learn in school, but at least my Grandfather spoke Italian).
That's what I meant. There is a distinct, peculiar Italian-American culture in the US, which is actually very interesting and worthy of pride. But it ain't Italian, and it annoys me slightly to see people boast "I'm half-Italian!" Uh, no, you are not.
Sort of not-safe-for-work (tits): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOcy0zYo-T0

Old March 30 2013, 03:38 AM   #167
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Sector 7

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Even when someone jokes about it, my head still wants to explode from the Stupid of the raw milk people.
cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
If it's not vaccines it's dairy products. The gullibility never ends.
Eh, the Amish don't pasteurize their milk as an entire community, so while I think it's weird at best for an outsider it's never really bothered me.
I'm talking about the raw milk movement, not the Amish. The Raw Mild crowd are separate group of brainwashed farmers, and altogether stupider.
Wow... just... wow... I grew up on a farm, drank fresh cows' milk and never knew I was brainwashed and stupid.

I think your narrow-minded rant does much damage to any valid point which may be buried within somewhere, though.
Old March 30 2013, 04:04 AM   #168
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post

Eh, the Amish don't pasteurize their milk as an entire community, so while I think it's weird at best for an outsider it's never really bothered me.
I'm talking about the raw milk movement, not the Amish. The Raw Mild crowd are separate group of brainwashed farmers, and altogether stupider.
Wow... just... wow... I grew up on a farm, drank fresh cows' milk and never knew I was brainwashed and stupid.

I think your narrow-minded rant does much damage to any valid point which may be buried within somewhere, though.
Oh no! You are so offended!

I think you missed the point, perhaps if you read my further post on the subject you will understand that I'm talking about a belief-system based around the inane idea that cooking and pasteurizing one's foods renders them "unnatural" and "unhealthful." The stupidity comes with the huge risk, specifically to pregnant women, of infection from drinking raw milk and eating raw cheese (again, if you digested my later post you'd see that my half-sister continued this behavior while pregnant), and that it is tied to other stupid and dangerous movements like antivax. As for brainwashed -- it's a meaningless and inflammatory term, I admit. But it takes a special amount of stupid to reject the fact that pasteurization is a proven method of reducing pathogens from beverages making them safer to consume.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 04:08 AM   #169
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

She's not talking about any person who lived on a farm.

ETA: Beaten to it. I'm trying to find the Daily Show coverage of them, but I'm not having any luck.
Old March 30 2013, 04:12 AM   #170
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
She's not talking about any person who lived on a farm.

ETA: Beaten to it. I'm trying to find the Daily Show coverage of them, but I'm not having any luck.
OMG, I would LOVE to see that!

Old March 30 2013, 04:25 AM   #171
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

It was actually The Colbert Report

Reported in a way so all sides of the debate look like idiots, though, which I enjoy even better.
Old March 30 2013, 04:40 AM   #172
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

^ That was awesome! I agree, the idiocy was rampant from all parties and beautifully displayed.

Old April 3 2013, 08:01 PM   #173
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I selected white, but I prefer Scottish-American.
Old April 3 2013, 09:20 PM   #174
RAMA
Vice Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Oh deer.
The appropriate expression is "D'oh!" A deer. A female deer.

RAMA wrote: View Post
Well I'm white, I call myself Italian but I'm really half Italian, half Swiss.
Well, the Swiss are all something else anyway, right? I mean, there's French Swiss, German Swiss and Italian Swiss.

Oh, you should look them up; the idiocy is spectacular! They think pasteurization is the height of evil, that it corrupts milk and makes it bad for you. My half-sister is one, and the height of her irresponsibility came when she happily consumed raw milk, eggs, cheese, and meat whilst pregnant. Or at least I thought that was the height of irresponsibility, until my new nephew was born and she revealed herself to be an antivaxer.
Jesus Christ, if she's so opposed to all the advances in public health over the past couple of centuries, why doesn't she hunt and gather her own food and live in a cave?

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Green.
You green people are the greatest. You're all such good dancers. And your women are HOT!

Exactly, my dad was "Italian-Swiss". I heard some odd accents when I went to visit Switzerland. My dad spoke 8 languages fluently and several others. He was raised in France.

RAMA
Old April 3 2013, 10:13 PM   #175
Australis
Writer

White. White white white.

For a little more colour, born in Scotland, all ancestry seems to be Pict/Celt/Scandinavian, though there may be some, uh, Mediterranean, from the Crusades or somesuch.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 11:03 PM   #176
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

As I was told, bloodlines are English, Scot, Scotch-Irish, Welsh, and either German or Dutch. A family tree that I saw traced to an ancestor with the same last name as arriving in North America from Devonshire, England around 1650.
Old April 3 2013, 11:30 PM   #177
Shanndee
Commodore

White (and a really pale complexion too!)

My ancestry is Irish, Scottish, English, French Canadian, and Native Canadian.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 11:33 PM   #178
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

I hope I get to attend the next Pow Pow of the Monacan Nation here in Virginia later this year. My cousins have been wanting me to come to meet other members of the extended family who have Monacan heritage. It looks like it'd be very fun and educational, plus there are many people on my dad's side of the family I've never had the opportunity to meet over the years.
Old April 3 2013, 11:44 PM   #179
Shanndee
Commodore

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
I hope I get to attend the next Pow Pow of the Monacan Nation here in Virginia later this year. My cousins have been wanting me to come to meet other members of the extended family who have Monacan heritage. It looks like it'd be very fun and educational, plus there are many people on my dad's side of the family I've never had the opportunity to meet over the years.
Oh, I hope you do get a chance to go! I was able to attend 2 hosted by the local band when I was much younger (still living on the east coast, so it must have been about 100 years ago now!). I feel like I really learned a lot (and I had a fantastic time).

I kind of wish I had taken full advantage of that opportunity to meet and connect with people. But I was really young at the time, and I still believed that those types of opportunities would be plentiful.

What are my chances of a do-over?

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 12:17 AM   #180
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

Thankfully the Monacan Nation holds a Pow Wow every year and the festivities aren't really all that far away. My Monacan relatives hail from Amherst County and that's only 70 miles or so away.