Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old March 25 2013, 05:16 AM   #16
throwback
Captain

Re: NASA's Warp Drive - update

In Star Trek, the advanced Federation surveys pre-warp civilizations with cloaked technology. It's possible that an alien civilization could have done the same with our world.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 05:52 AM   #17
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

It's also possible we are the only beings in the universe

It's also possible the aliens are so far away they haven't gotten to us yet

It's also possible the aliens aren't that technologically advanced

It's also possible the aliens are only primordial goo at this stage

It's also possible the aliens died out a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, and no longer exist

It's also possible they are among us now

It's also possible....

you get the point

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 07:11 AM   #18
throwback
Captain

Until we get an answer, possibilities is all that we have.

I am reading some of the ancient Greek writings - the ones where they were attempting to explain what an earthquake is? or what is the sun made of?, you get the idea - well, anyway, I wonder if our writings on a piece of technology would resemble those writings, where we have some glimpse of the nature of it, but the full nature of it is elusive to us because we don't have the knowledge nor the tools to fully understand it. I keep reading in magazines about pieces of tech left behind by our ancestors for which we have no explanation of their function. How then will we understand a piece of advanced tech?

I think it more likely that humans will find a way to wreck our planet's life-support systems before we develop a means to design and build a vessel with warp drive. (I didn't say interstellar spacecraft, for we have already built those. I am thinking of the Voyager and Pioneer probes.) And, it doesn't help that we have politicians who are obsessed with government spending, and will cut that spending even when it does help the nation and its people.
Old March 25 2013, 07:52 PM   #19
JustAFriend
Commodore

Where are the aliens?

You have to first find out if there are any other spacefaring civilizations in our Galaxy.
If the nearest one is a few dozen or so light-years away, fine. We might meet them.
If there are only a few, the nearest neighbor may be thousands of light-years away.
If it's just US, then the nearest neighbor may be in Andromeda, 2 MILLION light-years away.

It's a depressing thought, but even with FTL drives there may not be any other races in this Galaxy with a technological civilization. So WE have to go out and build one....
JustAFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

JustAFriend wrote: View Post
It's a depressing thought
Why should this thought be depressing?
It means that, if we play our cards right, in ~ten thousand years, there will not be a single star in the night sky you can see with your naked eye that our descendants have not reached.

As opposed to beings animalistic primitives (fit only to put in a zoo) to civilizations billions of years old, all of which, for some reason, insisting on hiding any and all evidence of their existence.
Old March 28 2013, 05:14 AM   #21
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
if we play our cards right, in ~ten thousand years, there will not be a single star in the night sky you can see with your naked eye that our descendants have not reached.
I think most stars visible to the naked eye are unlikely to provide a welcoming environment for human colonization. We probably would want to concentrate on solar systems with less conspicuous suns.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 07:29 AM   #22
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Brown dwarfs?
Old March 31 2013, 10:45 AM   #23
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

We'll surround our planets by solar fluctuation dampeners and radiation shields also known as Venusian atmosphere.
Old March 31 2013, 04:03 PM   #24
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

UPDATE: Still no warp drive.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 04:41 PM   #25
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
UPDATE: Still no warp drive.
You've made the right choice. I purchased one and installed it in my car a few days ago. I drove around the neighbourhood for a little while, and I only found rock and ice deserts, crappy weather, no air conditioning, totally boring landmarks, not a single soul for days and days, no accommodation, conditions leading to terrible nausea and I was forced to follow totally inhumane safety rules.

Right now I am suing the manufacturer for false advertisement.
Old April 7 2013, 10:18 AM   #26
throwback
Captain

There are stars in the night sky that are in distant galaxies. I doubt that in ten thousand years that we will have traveled to those galaxies.

I think that if we do move out, from this solar system, that we will do so like the ancient Polynesians who migrated from one island to the other. I do believe that we will encounter limits to our exploration and colonization. Some we can imagine now, others we can't even imagine.
Old April 7 2013, 12:38 PM   #27
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

scotthm wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
if we play our cards right, in ~ten thousand years, there will not be a single star in the night sky you can see with your naked eye that our descendants have not reached.
I think most stars visible to the naked eye are unlikely to provide a welcoming environment for human colonization. We probably would want to concentrate on solar systems with less conspicuous suns.
Only if we will be planet bound in the future.
If we take the far better option of building O'Neill colonies/Orbitals, almost any star with an asteroid belt is prime real estate.

throwback wrote: View Post
There are stars in the night sky that are in distant galaxies. I doubt that in ten thousand years that we will have traveled to those galaxies.
You can't see those stars with the naked eye, throwback.

I think that if we do move out, from this solar system, that we will do so like the ancient Polynesians who migrated from one island to the other. I do believe that we will encounter limits to our exploration and colonization. Some we can imagine now, others we can't even imagine.
Beyond the obvious speed and energy constrains (including the related sociological/economical arguments), what other limits do you see?
Old April 7 2013, 05:40 PM   #28
sojourner
Vice Admiral

There are stars in the night sky that are distant galaxies. I doubt that in ten thousand years that we will have traveled to those galaxies.
FTFY.
Old April 7 2013, 06:13 PM   #29
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
There are stars in the night sky that are distant galaxies. I doubt that in ten thousand years that we will have traveled to those galaxies.
FTFY.
Same difference: you can't see the component stars of those galaxies with the naked eye - not even close.
Old April 8 2013, 09:54 AM   #30
throwback
Captain

Looking into the past, when answering what challenges will face the future starfarers, there are the issues of food storage and preparation, psychological and physical fitness of the crew and passengers, threats from radiation, threats from space debris, and the dangers posed by alien lifeforms. These lifeforms could be something as small as a bacteria, or akin to us - a thinking and reasoning species. These are the known threats. It seems that when humans are exploring, they invariably encounter new threats they hadn't considered before.

There is something else to consider. According to the current belief about our galaxy, we live in a system that is located in the right galactic zone, a zone of habitability. This zone may defined where we could go feasibly in the galaxy, for systems that lay outside this zone might be unusable or hostile.