Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 23 2013, 09:23 PM   #31
theblitz
Lieutenant Commander

Re: New to DS9...

There are always going to be real bad ones in any series.
I wouldn't judge DS9 by one or two episodes the same way I wouldn't judge TOS by "Spock's Brain"!
theblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 09:30 PM   #32
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

I've now seen 13 episodes. It's a good show. So far, it's better than Enterprise's first season. I already love Odo, Quark, Bashir...added to my already existing love for O'Brien and Miss Farrell. I like Kira and I've learned to tolerate Sisko. The main guy is still as wooden as ever though. His scenes with Jake are the worst. I hate it when the show focuses on them.
The Quark-Odo dynamic is hilarious. I hope they continue in that vein.
Lt. LaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 09:54 PM   #33
Danger Ace
Commander

theblitz wrote: View Post
There are always going to be real bad ones in any series.
I wouldn't judge DS9 by one or two episodes the same way I wouldn't judge TOS by "Spock's Brain"!
BLASPHEMY! You are redeuced two steps in rank. "Spock's Brain" was an incredible allegorical tale. I will admit, 45 years after it first's airing, I still don't know what the allegory or meaning actually was, BUT! I am sure it was wonderful. And fantastic. And, when we, as a people, are ready, a prophet will come amongst us to enlighten the true-believers with understanding and grace.

Can I have an "AMEN!"
Old March 25 2013, 10:23 PM   #34
Danger Ace
Commander

Lt. LaForge wrote: View Post
I've now seen 13 episodes. It's a good show. So far, it's better than Enterprise's first season. I already love Odo, Quark, Bashir...added to my already existing love for O'Brien and Miss Farrell. I like Kira and I've learned to tolerate Sisko. The main guy is still as wooden as ever though. His scenes with Jake are the worst. I hate it when the show focuses on them.
The Quark-Odo dynamic is hilarious. I hope they continue in that vein.
I am going to be brutally honest, AGAIN. I love DS9. I have just started re-watching the series' in order from the start. Avery Brooks' acting does get better as the season unfolds. My two-cents on this:

Mr. Brooks was a drama teacher at an ivy-league school and a "serious" actor when he first came onboard DS9 - a syndicated sci-fi series. I think there was a touch of believing he was above the material, as well as, a lack of understanding and identification outside the Ben-Jake Sisko relationship. Part of what I think we see in "Sisko" is Avery Brooks gaining an understanding and appreciation for the material beyond that father-son dynamic.

Last edited by Danger Ace; March 25 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 10:34 PM   #35
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I wouldn't skip any seasons but there are certainly a lot of individual episodes you can skip.

There are a lot of episodes you might consider 'TNG-lite' but I think are a lot of fun, like Dramatis Personae and If Wishes Were Horses.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 05:34 PM   #36
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

Hey guys. I know that I'm very late, but I feel the need to update you. I finished DS9 in late June/ early July of last year. It was a great few months. I even got my brother hooked to it. I would like to thank you all for encouraging me to see all of it. A few thoughts:

>Sisko became tolerable. I didn't dislike him, but love was too far.
>Kira was annoying, but became greater and greater as the seasons wore on. I love her. Check my location.
>Jake became scarce. Good.
>Worf is a badass. What a warrior. I love how they made him exact the "Worf effect" on others this time instead of suffering it.
>I hate how wimpy the Klingons were in the early episodes. Kira, with a stab wound in her side, manhandled Klingons the way Khan would have.
>Neither I nor my brother appreciated what was done to the Ferengi. I'm all for women rights but did they have to change Ferengi culture so much? What's next, female Klingon warriors (with the likes of Worf staying at home). Everyone and his dog knows that Quark should have been Nagus, not that fidgety brother of his.
>The Dominion story arc was totally amazeballs. Oh, what fun we had watching the founders, Vorta and Jem'hader.
>Garak should have had a spin-off.

I'm off to sleep now. I will give detailed thoughts on the show as you guys respond. I hope you guys have some comments.

Last edited by Lt. LaForge; June 10 2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old June 9 2014, 10:51 PM   #37
dub
Fleet Captain

Can't wait to hear the details!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 02:10 PM   #38
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

dub wrote: View Post
Can't wait to hear the details!
I enjoyed it, dub. At first, I thought it would be horrible. How wrong I was.

I don't know why Dr. Bashir gets a lot of flack. I liked him from the very start. His friendliness and approachability were a stark contrast to his station-mates. I liked how he went after Dax and failed miserably (until the S7 ret-con).

Speaking of Jadzia Dax, I failed to find an affinity with her. She was too "every-woman" for me. I find it a stretch to believe that a symbiont's memories can translate into the ability to wield a Bat'leth...and more than hold ones own against seasoned Klingon warriors. It's akin to me watching lots of martial arts instructional videos without training and going out to hand Anderson Silva an ass-whopping. I am in the middle opinion-wise regarding her marriage to our much loved Klingon.

The Odo-Quark dynamic was amazing from beginning to end. It added much needed comic relief to an otherwise serious drama series. It was a success in a franchise that failed at that particular aspect.

Now, the Dominion War. What a fascinating saga. I felt all warm and tingly inside watching it play out. This is exactly how I felt watching the Xindi arc in Enterprise...high praise (in my opinion) indeed. Sisko was fantastic here. How Garak got the Romulans involved, with Sisko's blessing was great. The interactions between the Founders/Vorta and the Cardassian's/Breen were excellent.

Jeffery Combs has to be the best guest actor in history.

The Bajoran's are a horrible and boring race. Only Kai Winn and Kira were interesting from them. The Bajoran religion fixation in season 7 was a let-down for me. I hated the whole emissary thing.

Why the hate for Ezri? She's so cute, sweet, adorable, lovable and so nice. I love her.
Old June 12 2014, 02:40 AM   #39
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

I've seen TNG (My personal favourite series), TOS and Enterprise (My 2nd favourite. I just love it so much). I'm in need of more Trek and Voyager just won't do.

The major gripe I have with DS9 is Sisko. Brooks' portayal just seems so over-the-top for me. He puts me off and as the main guy, pushes me away from the series. I don't think I can bear 7 seasons with this guy. I've seen about 4 episodes...I couldn't even finish the pilot.

The reason for my thread is this, I NEED new Trek. Therefore, can you niners direct me to the best season with which to start the series? 2?3?
Hmmm...I could never, ever suggest that someone skip episodes while watching for the first time. That's what rewatches are for.

Unlike TNG, VOY, and ENT....DS9 is not episodic. It's a continuous, evolving story. You can't really skip any on a first watch!

EDIT: OH DERP! Just saw that you finished it. Glad you enjoyed it! I disagree with some of your points about the Bajorans and also Dax. And I loved the Prophet/Emissary plotline but dislike how it ended. But anyway glad you liked it!

Agreed on Jeffrey Combs. He is one of the best, if not the best, guest actors. I have to give super major props to Andrew Robinson as Garak and Marc Alaimo as Dukat though.

Meh Ezri is cute but it was annoying that Jadzia Dax gets killed off RIGHT before the show is about to end (I know it was Terry Farrell's choice but they were so close to being done!). I cried so hard when she died...because she had just gotten married, etc.

Last edited by Captain Kathryn; June 12 2014 at 02:54 AM.
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 02:01 PM   #40
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Unlike TNG, VOY, and ENT....DS9 is not episodic. It's a continuous, evolving story. You can't really skip any on a first watch!
I agree. Storyteller for example, standalone episode (until the post-finale books), but is important for the Bashir/OBrien and Nog/Jake relationships. Even Babel has a bit of the fallout from Cardassia and the Bajoran Resistance

I think Move Along Home is the only one that could be skipped, despite having the first aliens from the gamma quadrant!
Paul Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 02:57 PM   #41
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

^There are times, I think, that the "continuity" aspect of an episode are less consequential than they may appear. Statistical Probabilities, for instance, might seem to have a lot of Dominion related content. For the most part, it's stuff we already know: the Dominion will use intrigue to use bring the war to a swift conclusion, and on paper, the Federation's cause seems hopeless. Not seeing Damar's speech doesn't interfere with us understanding how he became the Cardassian leader. And it's obvious that our heroes will fight now instead of waiting for a more opportune moment in the future. The genetic alteration/augmentation issue may be interesting, but the rest is biding time.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 07:29 PM   #42
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
^There are times, I think, that the "continuity" aspect of an episode are less consequential than they may appear. Statistical Probabilities, for instance, might seem to have a lot of Dominion related content. For the most part, it's stuff we already know: the Dominion will use intrigue to use bring the war to a swift conclusion, and on paper, the Federation's cause seems hopeless. Not seeing Damar's speech doesn't interfere with us understanding how he became the Cardassian leader. And it's obvious that our heroes will fight now instead of waiting for a more opportune moment in the future. The genetic alteration/augmentation issue may be interesting, but the rest is biding time.
But the character growth in Bashir makes the episode essential. (Also feeds into Chrysalis)
Old June 22 2014, 09:03 PM   #43
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

Paul Weaver wrote: View Post
But the character growth in Bashir makes the episode essential. (Also feeds into Chrysalis)
The episode also made for great viewing... I really liked it.
Old June 22 2014, 09:57 PM   #44
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

Old June 23 2014, 04:22 PM   #45
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

Did you rewatch in the 53 minutes between your posts?

Yes, great episode, and the Jack pack are a lovely bunch. Just read Zero Sum Game, the continuing adventures of Sarina, interesting stuff.