Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old March 30 2013, 08:23 PM   #16
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Re: Competition: write an episode of Star Trek Continues

I think Roddenberry was pretty smart, but yeah, Serling certainly had more raw talent as a writer.
Old March 31 2013, 07:43 PM   #17
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Gene Roddenberry was good enough at what he did to make a living in a brutally competitive industry. Rod Serling was one of the geniuses of the field. It's almost an apples to oranges comparison.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 12:33 AM   #18
PattyW
Commander

Send a message via AIM to PattyW

Maurice wrote: View Post
Wow, people are really starting to poke around the edges of what's legal here. I just had a conversation with our entertainment law attorney at work the other day (he cleared all the Namco characters for Wreck-It Ralph, so he knows what he's taking about) and he explained to me the legal realities of some of the stuff that fans do thinking it's okay but which would mean lawsuit if Paramount ever got the slightest itch to do so. He said typically the only reason most companies don't crack down on these things more often is because they fear bad publicity more than such an infringement.
Slight nit-pic: it's CBS that owns "Star Trek" for copyright purposes. (Paramount has a license to produce films)

ANYWAY - I suspect this very thing is why the contest wasn't on their FB page or well advertised. It would have made it too easy for CBS legal to see it.

And, from the mouth of CBS: the only reason they "don't crack down on most of these things" is because they don't get enough publicity, or a large enough audience, for it to matter to them. They do watch - and take action when they think it's big enough to take some spotlight wattage away from JJ, or it's a huge violation of rights, or a violation that is noticeable enough to them to care.
Old April 2 2013, 05:36 AM   #19
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Yes, CBS. 20 years of typing "Paramount" is a hard habit to break.

I don't think we're in disagreement. CBS could have a legal case if it wanted it. It just doesn't see it worth the time and trouble (and negative publicity).
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 05:51 AM   #20
PattyW
Commander

I don't know...they didn't seem to mind the NY Times articles and the CBS interviews about how they pulled Norman Spinrad's script from a fanfilm and settled the whole matter out of court. That was pretty negative. It was also pretty definitive.
Old April 2 2013, 08:50 AM   #21
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

But that's dealing with a name professional who was selling something related to their IP via a commercial website. That's bound to set the alarm bells flashing in their legal departments.

Anyway, as I said, I don't think we're disagreeing in principle, maybe just on some particulars.

My company (a fairly large one) is pretty tolerant of knockoffs of our key IPs until those start making money or they get in the way of our products being seen or otherwise infringe on our trademarks. Heck, I just had to have our legal department get 39 infringing products smacked off a particular marketplace because they were making one of our official products more difficult to find, even if they weren't making money for the people behind them. That's how the entertainment business works.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 09:19 PM   #22
PattyW
Commander

But that's dealing with a name professional who was selling something related to their IP via a commercial website. That's bound to set the alarm bells flashing in their legal departments.

Anyway, as I said, I don't think we're disagreeing in principle, maybe just on some particulars.
No, what you are referring to was a legal issue that there was a gag order on. Neither CBS, Spinrad nor I (the P2 rep involved in this issue) could discuss the "selling" issue (which was being done through 3 venues) with anyone. The press was all on the very negative "CBS is being a pill and won't let a fanfilm film this script, even though they've let the very same production do the exact same thing wth three other scripts."

I don't think we are disagreeing at all. I think I am just being nit-picky and pointing out that CBS really couldn't care about negative publicity. The only publicity they have personally told me that they care about is when ANY publicity (positive or negative) takes the attention off CBS and JJ Trek. (Such as "William Shatner to guest star in a fanfilm!")

So, feel free to ignore my nit-picky seguay....
Old April 2 2013, 11:33 PM   #23
Danger Ace
Commander

... He said typically the only reason most companies don't crack down on these things more often is because they fear bad publicity more than such an infringement.
Reminds me of Paramount's attempt to go after fan sites around the time they first launched startrek.com. Talk about generating negative buzz and fermenting backlash.

Yes, Virginia, this post is an expression of my opinion.
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 12:01 AM   #24
Danger Ace
Commander

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
I think Roddenberry was pretty smart, but yeah, Serling certainly had more raw talent as a writer.
Raw? Mr. Serling's talent was pretty refined by years of experience. It was said at the time however you never just threw out ideas around him for if he saw promise in them he would develope them himself. Jack Webb was also rumored to be the same way.

In terms of Serling's feelings towards TOS, I recall an issue of Starlog quoting him as being disappointed when he had learned of NBC cancelling the series.

With respect to him feeling TOS could have been more, well, I agree with those here in that many felt that way. Where Serling is a bit different though is that he knew first-hand what kind of forces are at play in getting a show back then to air. He was no stranger to networks fights over bold or brash content.

Ellison may have shared Serling's opinion, but was Harlan ever an executive-producer actually charged with over-seeing drawing board-to-air production? Or was he a bomb thrower from the sidelines? My understanding is that he was a hit&run, work-for-hire writer of teleplays. Am I wrong?

Yes, Virginia, this post is an expression of my opinion.
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 12:07 AM   #25
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

In a perfect world, Rod Serling would have written an episode of TOS.
Old April 3 2013, 03:05 AM   #26
xortex
Commodore

He would have treated it and the awesome expanse of the universe with more repect. It would have been more Forbidden Planet like. Many TZ episodes could have made good Trek scripts and vice versa considering the same guys were all involved, but Serling wrote an astounding 80 percent of the scripts for the eintire five year run of the series and to my count GR was resonsible for writing about 14 episodes himself and shared credit on about at least three others with the sci-fi giants of the time and like he said rewrote practically everything first and even second season. He said he almost killed himself fighting the inner and outer battles that raged due mainly to the egos of others, rather tyhan his IMO. It was his show, he had every right to get things right according to him as time has beared out. Thank God.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 04:23 AM   #27
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Raw? Mr. Serling's talent was pretty refined by years of experience. It was said at the time however you never just threw out ideas around him for if he saw promise in them he would develope them himself. Jack Webb was also rumored to be the same way.
I think you may be reading more into the term raw than I intended there. I wasn't implying Serling's talents were unrefined, I was simply saying he had more core talent as a writer. On the other hand, I think both men were canny producers who knew how to play the game.
Old April 3 2013, 02:57 PM   #28
xortex
Commodore

Like comparing Mozart to Beethoven.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote