RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,712
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 514
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 22 2013, 07:00 PM   #241
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: New trekID international trailer wed

Ok.. So I'm late to the party on this, but I'll throw my two cents in..

Yes, the Alice-in-her-undies shot is meant to add a bit of cheesecake to the trailer and generate discussion just like this...

However, as to the objectification of women in the movie itself, I think it's probably taken out of context...

Many movies set in the future display more of a sense of equality between men and women.. Troops sharing showers in a non-sexual nature in Starship Troopers, for example.. Yes.. Cheesecakey for sure for the audience, but it's meant to portray that we're more comforatble with our own bodies and sexuality in the future.

My own take on the scene is that Carol is suiting up in her EV suit (or unsuiting and getting into uniform) and is having a frank discussion with Kirk about something completely unrelated to her being half naked... The pose struck in the screen cap says to me: "WTF are you talking about, Jim??"... It just so happens that in the future, men and women can be in the same room half-dressed and it not be in a sexual context..

Just playing devil's advocate here...

And the ship falling from the sky definitely looks to be the Enterprise, especially since it says NCC-1701 on it..
Old March 22 2013, 07:13 PM   #242
Garak
You Eat What You Kill

OH MY GOD.

I just realized, people in the future actually get changed like we do here in the past. In the process of changing, just like us, they sometimes reveal their underwear.

This is ground breaking stuff. I had no idea.

I really hope some of you will be able to cope adequately with this startling revelation and not mouth foam yourselves to death.
Old March 22 2013, 07:20 PM   #243
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

phoenix96 wrote: View Post
cbspock wrote: View Post
When did Star Trek fans get all prudish??? Classic Trek was known for the outfits the women wore (or didn't)

-Chris
For me, the problem with that shot in the trailer is that it doesn't fit with the rest...
For me, the problem with that shot in the trailer is that it's not long enough and she's wearing more than dental floss.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 07:27 PM   #244
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
I don't get how people find it jarring. It's a quick little snap and move on; whole trailer's like that--trailers in general are like that. Just click, click, click, click, from one shot to the next. Certainly no more jarring than moving from one action shot to a character shot of any other character. It's just cause she's in her skivvies that it stands out.
Yes. Rigid visual juxtapositions are part of trailer-making 101.
I've certainly had more than my fair share of "Rigid Juxtaposition" since first watching that part of the trailer.

I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 07:30 PM   #245
bullethead
Fleet Captain

marillion wrote: View Post
My own take on the scene is that Carol is suiting up in her EV suit (or unsuiting and getting into uniform) and is having a frank discussion with Kirk about something completely unrelated to her being half naked... The pose struck in the screen cap says to me: "WTF are you talking about, Jim??"... It just so happens that in the future, men and women can be in the same room half-dressed and it not be in a sexual context..
Or she could be going "WTF Jim" because he's trying not to look at her because she's the boss's daughter. The trailer seems to give that impression with the way it cuts from Kirk facing the back of the shuttle to her doing the WTF pose.
Old March 22 2013, 07:45 PM   #246
Franklin
Rear Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
marillion wrote: View Post
Or she could be going "WTF Jim" because he's trying not to look at her because she's the boss's daughter. The trailer seems to give that impression with the way it cuts from Kirk facing the back of the shuttle to her doing the WTF pose.
Could be. Maybe she wasn't the bosses daughter in the other universe (Adm. Marcus had another career path). Still, I have a tough time thinking of James T. Kirk as modest.

As far as the comment about how in the future, men and women may be in the same room half-dressed without any sexual content goes, if the "future" means after 25 years of marriage, I'll concur.
Old March 22 2013, 07:59 PM   #247
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post

I don't like the style of action presented.
Can you expand on that?
In a fashion which appeases all those rigidly blinkered by their unanimous adulation of all things Abrams' Star Trek? Probably not.
Come on, was that really necessary?
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 08:02 PM   #248
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
I hate to admit this but I am starting to see the sexism a lot of people on trekmovie.com have been complaining about.

Alice Eve in her bra and panties was the worst part of the trailer. Its like it was just put there of the sake of making guys horny and for the sake of having a woman get nearly naked.

And what’s with the pose?

For a split second I thought I was watching a model about to step on the fashion
Catwalk (modelling lingerie) instead of a science fiction trailer.

In 2009, I brushed off the people who called Uhura a sexist character after she stripped down to her bra and panties but now that I see another woman doing the same thing, I am beginning to see a pattern here.

Nu Trek does objectify women.
Yea I noticed that too. I posted several comments over there about other parts of the trailer but they are dead set on discussing how immoral for J.J. to have added that shot of Eve in the trailer exploiting her. Good grief. The discussion of there is doomed for now. For the pose she is doing. I think Kirk walks in on her in the shuttle while she is changing and she basically looks at him and says something like "what? you've never seen a woman in bra and panties before?". That's the way I perceive it for now.

Remember when everyone said the same thing 4 years ago about Uhura stripping down and then no one gave a crap because everyone loved the movie anyway.

I do. I didn't. I did.
Old March 22 2013, 08:13 PM   #249
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's a bit of fan-service, but I don't think it was particular degrading or hurtful to the character.
It's not "fan-service", it's general public service. The fans will see this movie once no matter what. Well, except the haters, and some of them will go see it just to hate it more.

The general public are less likely to pay to see STiD unless... unless the trailer tantalizes them.

Hey, if Carol doesn't get her clothes off sometime, David will never be born!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 08:22 PM   #250
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Garak wrote: View Post
The one thing you choose to complain about is a gorgeous woman in her underwear?

That's hilarious. Well done, sport. I guess we can add virgin to the list.
This is how we debate things in this place now?
You could just say the same thing over and over and over and over and over again...

Oh wait.
Old March 22 2013, 09:03 PM   #251
ROBE
Commander

Do the crew wear underwear in department colours?
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 09:31 PM   #252
lurok
Commodore

Uhura wasn't wearing any for her TFF fan dance. Guess that was a small mercy we were spared.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 09:58 PM   #253
Talosian
Lieutenant Commander

Since the Federation takes an anti-genetic engineering line, which may well be part of the plot of this film, we can expect men in Starfleet to still respond to young beautiful women in the same way they do today.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 10:01 PM   #254
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Clearly Abrams and company missed a major marketing opportunity when naming this movie:

Also, people get blown out into space at warp.
Old March 22 2013, 10:12 PM   #255
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Ovation wrote: View Post
phoenix96 wrote: View Post
cbspock wrote: View Post
When did Star Trek fans get all prudish??? Classic Trek was known for the outfits the women wore (or didn't)

-Chris
For me, the problem with that shot in the trailer is that it doesn't fit with the rest - it's all action shots, high energy, lots of movement, and then *bam* it's practically a freeze-frame of Eve, then back to action. If the shot of Eve had more movement rather than just the awkward pose, it wouldn't be as jarring.
This is a reasonable objection to the shot in the trailer--focusing on why it seems "out of sync" with the rest of the material, how it interferes with the dynamic flow and so on. (I don't necessarily agree, but it's a defensible critique.)

To argue, as others have, that it is somehow excessively sexist, is, frankly, absurd.
Well it is distracting and jarring when you pause it right there. Just throws the whole thing off

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote