RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,697
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 478
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 21 2013, 02:13 AM   #16
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Cool, Syfy UK are showing DS9!

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Never met a fellow Brit who agreed with me that DS9 was the best Trek. In fact, they all seem to think it sucks and vastly prefer Voyager.
Don't worry you're not alone.

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
Back in the 1990s, everyone I knew preferred DS9 to Voyager. I used to buy the CIC DS9 tapes, and another friend used to buy the Voyager ones. Mine were always lent out to friends more often!!
Me and a friend used to do that too for the big episodes of DS9 instead of waiting for Sky to show them. I still have my old VHS copies of "Way of the Warrior" and "Trials and Tribble-ations".

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Is the UK just generally anti-serialization? Most BBC series I've seen are very episodic.
Most UK shows only last for 6-8 episodes instead of 20-26 so there isn't much serialisation. The dumb masses here love serialised soap operas like the suicide inducing Eastenders so we're not anti-serialisation.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 06:30 PM   #17
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

"Duet" will be on this week, perhaps Thursday or Friday.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 12:34 AM   #18
Kinggodzillak
Commander

Unfortunately SyFy seem to be editing out some of the violence, and doing a pretty sloppy job. Marritza's death in Duet was shortened to remove any glimpse of the knife; we see the Bajoran standing outside Quarks watching as Marritza walks past, and then suddenly cut to him with the knife already in Marritza's back.

Necessary Evil last night was similarly affected; the Bajoran security officer getting stabbed was almost completely removed, and the assassin didn't even have a chance to pick up the pillow to smother Quark cos Rom just appeared out of nowhere to start screaming. Very irritating, particularly when this is the kind of violence that other channels would be perfectly happy to show at 3pm in various bland crime dramas. Don't remember ever seeing the show being quite so heavily censored before, Lord knows how it'll be when the Jem'Hadar and Klingons start carving people up...
Kinggodzillak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 10:58 PM   #19
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I've noticed this too. I've been watching the teatime airings... is it repeated later? They may be uncut.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 12:03 AM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

Never met a fellow Brit who agreed with me that DS9 was the best Trek. In fact, they all seem to think it sucks and vastly prefer Voyager.

An example of Broken Britain if ever there was one.
I've found exactly the opposite, when I've con to cons and events. DSN is generally ranked as the best Trek.

And yes I've noticed some editing, true it is shown at 18:00, but can anyone remember if the BBC who also aired it at 18:00 all those years made the same kind of edits?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 12:50 PM   #21
Trek Survivor
Captain

TNG is also being edited - even the later showings. "Yesterday's Enterprise" had the bit where Cpt. Garrett edited out (you know, she has something stuck in her neck - or is it her head?). It made the jump to them all standing around discussing her death a bit odd!

What's even more bizarre was the episode was left intact by the BBC at 6pm over twenty years ago! Sy-Fi obviously a little over-cautious here...?
Old April 15 2013, 01:06 PM   #22
MacLeod
Admiral

Alternatively, because they have an earlier showing. They can't be bothered to have two different versions of the episode.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old May 4 2013, 12:02 PM   #23
Kinggodzillak
Commander

The DS9 violence cuts are really getting on my nerves now. Evil Odo's explosive death was completely edited out of Crossover on Thursday, while their tampering with the opening scene of The Collaborator last night was probably the clumsiest piece of editing I've ever seen, right down to stray frames either side of the removed shot.

The offending sequence was Bareil's orb experience on the Promenade, where he walks into the dead body of Prylar Beck who is hanging from the upper level. SyFy cut away from that as soon as possible, and over to Kira playing springball.

Here's how the scene plays uncut;

BAREIL: "Nerys?"

KIRA: "Vedek Bareil...wanna play?"

BAREIL: "Help me...please!"

But in order to remove this shot of Bareil;

SyFy edited this whole bit down so that it only shows Kira, with Bareil and his swinging friend kept firmly off-screen.

Thus, things get silly;

BAREIL (off-camera): "Nerys?"

KIRA: "Vedek Bareil...wanna play?"

BAREIL (off-camera): "Please!"

So rather than being a scene about a man being tormented by the events of his past, SyFy decided it should instead be about Bareil being afraid Kira won't play springball with him. Cos that makes sense.

Later on in another Orb vision they also removed this shot of Kira;

Knives in particular seem to be a huge no-no on the SyFy channel. Duet, Necessary Evil, The Collaborator - they all feature stabbings and in all cases SyFy have removed any and all shots of the blade. What's left is more of a suggestion that a stabbing has taken place.

Now like Trek Survivor said, the BBC showed all this stuff more-or-less uncut in the same timeslot twenty years ago. For instance, I clearly remember watching Odo explode. The only issue the BBC ever seemed to have with violence on DS9 was the occasional broken neck. So why the sudden squeamishness on SyFy? And if these relatively tame sequences are getting the chop, episodes like Way of the Warrior, To the Death, Empok Nor & Rocks and Shoals are going to be almost unwatchable.

Last edited by Kinggodzillak; May 4 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old May 4 2013, 12:15 PM   #24
Kinggodzillak
Commander

Oh, and another fine example of SyFy's incompetence; last Thursday, they managed to accidentally show the TNG episode The Mind's Eye at 6pm instead of the scheduled DS9 episode Profit & Loss.
Old May 27 2013, 03:37 PM   #25
Kinggodzillak
Commander

They're going back to the start after The Adversary.
Old May 27 2013, 07:09 PM   #26
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Sky or CBS must have the rights to seasons four to seven.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 07:19 PM   #27
MacLeod
Admiral

Kinggodzillak wrote: View Post
Oh, and another fine example of SyFy's incompetence; last Thursday, they managed to accidentally show the TNG episode The Mind's Eye at 6pm instead of the scheduled DS9 episode Profit & Loss.
Didn't they show "Deja Q" instead of "Devil's Due" once as well.

As for going back to the start, they've already done it at least once though I think it's twice for TNG. Perhaps their rights kick in later in the year.
Old June 11 2013, 02:56 PM   #28
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Just checked the listings and after Season 3 they're showing.... Season 1 : /

Does anyone know when/if Season 4 onwards will air?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 04:18 PM   #29
RXTT
Lieutenant

UK Thought Police in full effect

RXTT.NET
RXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 08:58 PM   #30
MacLeod
Admiral

An example of Broken Britain if ever there was one.

You've been hanging around with the wrong Brits, most of the ones I've meet at conventions and events think DSN is one of the best if not the best ST show.