RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 556
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 19 2013, 09:35 PM   #1
Grup
Lieutenant Commander

Scotty

Have they or will they explain how Scott remains aboard the Enterprise? In the last film, he was assigned to an outpost and then beamed aboard the Enterprise illegally. Now he's the Chief Engineer? The same holds true for McCoy. He was assigned to the ship but only took over as Chief Med Officer after his superior was killed. Is it automatic that he would just stay with the Enterprise? Or would a Star Fleet member with more seniority be up for the job?

Or am I just being nitpicky?
Grup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Scotty

Grup wrote: View Post
Have they or will they explain how Scott remains aboard the Enterprise? In the last film, he was assigned to an outpost and then beamed aboard the Enterprise illegally. Now he's the Chief Engineer? The same holds true for McCoy. He was assigned to the ship but only took over as Chief Med Officer after his superior was killed. Is it automatic that he would just stay with the Enterprise? Or would a Star Fleet member with more seniority be up for the job?
I doubt they spend even a second on explaining any of the above.

Or am I just being nitpicky?
Probably.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 09:38 PM   #3
tighr
Commodore

Nitpicky.

In the nuTrek universe, Kirk has been promoted to Captain. Captains decide on their staff.

The previous CMO is dead, need new CMO, boom McCoy.
Chief Engineer Olson redshirted himself, Scotty was being "punished" on Delta Vega, Kirk puts in a transfer and boom, Scotty.
Old March 19 2013, 09:45 PM   #4
sonak
Vice Admiral

we're talking about a sequel to a film where a character went from cadet to captain in a matter of weeks/months. I don't think they will bother explaining something that is much LESS absurd than Kirk's career progression.
Old March 19 2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Grup
Lieutenant Commander

Now if all the other nitpicky (IMO) concerns about the reboot could be as simply laid to rest, the threads here would be greatly reduced. LOL

Thanks for the replies.
Grup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 11:24 PM   #6
tighr
Commodore

sonak wrote: View Post
we're talking about a sequel to a film where a character went from cadet to captain in a matter of weeks/months.
Rapid career progression is my main beef with the film.

There are those here on the forum who believe that Kirk was actually a Lieutenant based on his name being "Lt Kirk" on a console, but I don't find that plausible. He spent three years at the academy (2255-2258). Even assuming he had the credits to graduate, he would be an Ensign. McCoy would be the only one who would have graduated to a higher commission, as is typical today when doctors/nurses/lawyers/etc enter the Army/Navy/etc.

We assume the rest of the cadets were already 2nd year cadets when Kirk got on the shuttlecraft (already in uniform) in Iowa, but that would also make McCoy a 3rd year cadet at the time of the Narada incident. He appeared to be fresh off the boat.

Nitpicks.
Old March 20 2013, 12:57 AM   #7
sonak
Vice Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
we're talking about a sequel to a film where a character went from cadet to captain in a matter of weeks/months.
Rapid career progression is my main beef with the film.

There are those here on the forum who believe that Kirk was actually a Lieutenant based on his name being "Lt Kirk" on a console, but I don't find that plausible. He spent three years at the academy (2255-2258). Even assuming he had the credits to graduate, he would be an Ensign. McCoy would be the only one who would have graduated to a higher commission, as is typical today when doctors/nurses/lawyers/etc enter the Army/Navy/etc.

We assume the rest of the cadets were already 2nd year cadets when Kirk got on the shuttlecraft (already in uniform) in Iowa, but that would also make McCoy a 3rd year cadet at the time of the Narada incident. He appeared to be fresh off the boat.

Nitpicks.

well ok, so even if we assume that he's a Lt.(which as you write, wouldn't make sense), we still saw a rapid progression from Lt. to Captain in a matter of months. Still ridiculous, but no real way around it considering they needed him to be captain by the end, and they needed the same crew together.
Old March 20 2013, 01:09 AM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral

This thread got me thinking, who is staffing the Delta Vega facility now? It was only Scotty and Keenser assigned there, and both are now on the Enterprise.
Old March 20 2013, 01:45 AM   #9
The Keeper
Commodore

Perhaps it is automated, just like the real Delta Vega station in WNMHGB. That could be what made the "assignment" so messed up, Scott (+ Keenser) didn't really even need to be there!

Little known hit crime drama series on FX: The Bridge. It's crazy good!

Last edited by The Keeper; March 20 2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: add emphasis
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 01:51 AM   #10
tighr
Commodore

Yeah, it was clearly a punishment assignment.

well ok, so even if we assume that he's a Lt.(which as you write, wouldn't make sense), we still saw a rapid progression from Lt. to Captain in a matter of months. Still ridiculous, but no real way around it considering they needed him to be captain by the end, and they needed the same crew together.
And yep, it's still a ridiculously quick progression, but much easier to swallow than Cadet -> Captain.

In TNG's Conspiracy, Captain Tryla Scott was supposedly the youngest Captain in Starfleet history, which was a legendary achievement. Kirk's rapid ascension would absolutely obliterate that record.
Old March 20 2013, 02:03 AM   #11
hammerhead
Lieutenant Commander

I believe Kirk did graduate as a Lieutenant, in the prime universe he also graduated as a Lieutenant (TOS, "Obsession") and the Star Trek website also notes this that he achieved Ensign rank whilst at the academy in his FIRST year. Looks like accelerated career even in the prime universe.

Doctor Bashir in Emissary also joined DS9 straight out of the academy at Lt JG but as mentioned happens with Doctors in the real world. As an aside I'm certain in the real world Lt ranks are given after graduation in certain circumstances, I was actually offered this when applying to the UK Navy for engineering.

Lt to Captain isn't as bad as cadet and Lt's command small boats in the real world, although agreed a "captain" rank is ridiculous, just should have received the command instead
Old March 20 2013, 02:10 AM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

tighr wrote: View Post
There are those here on the forum who believe that Kirk was actually a Lieutenant based on his name being "Lt Kirk" on a console, but I don't find that plausible.
I do.

Kirk could have received a brevet rank of Ensign while still at the Academy, taking his cadet cruise. Once he graduated, he was commissioned as a Lieutenant. I don't think that's a reach. And assuming that (when the hearing was unexpectedly called off to divert everyone to Vulcan) Kirk was just about to graduate - with the commendation for original thinking that he was about to receive - it does fit.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 04:53 AM   #13
tighr
Commodore

hammerhead wrote: View Post
I believe Kirk did graduate as a Lieutenant, in the prime universe he also graduated as a Lieutenant (TOS, "Obsession") and the Star Trek website also notes this that he achieved Ensign rank whilst at the academy in his FIRST year. Looks like accelerated career even in the prime universe.
We only know that the Farragut was his first "deep space" mission. We are not given enough information to know if that was his first assignment.

hammerhead wrote: View Post
I'm certain in the real world Lt ranks are given after graduation in certain circumstances, I was actually offered this when applying to the UK Navy for engineering.
The British Royal Navy does not have an Ensign rank, it starts at Lieutenant for officers.
Old March 20 2013, 05:13 AM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The use of the phrase "real Delta Vega" is hysterical.

Grup wrote: View Post
Now if all the other nitpicky (IMO) concerns about the reboot could be as simply laid to rest, the threads here would be greatly reduced. LOL

Thanks for the replies.
They're all simply laid to rest, as nitpicks.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 06:24 AM   #15
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

None of the promotions bother me apart from Kirk's which is just fucking dumb. I'm no army guy but I'm pretty sure it's not good form to promote to captain the guy who has only ever in his Starfleet career been on one mission, which he snuck on to illegally, and during which proved himself incapable of following orders.

But that's just me nitpicking I guess.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote