Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 20 2013, 05:32 AM   #16
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Bates Motel seemed like it's going 2 suck, & then it didn't.(Spoil

I didn't care for Norman being in town for like five minutes and four hot girls are on him and then a hot teacher flirts with him. At least with the guyfriend of the girl that likes Norman I see the makings of a typical bully/foil for Norman. But even the girl with CF is cute. I don't see how all these nice looking girls actually making nice with him, for what seems like non-sinister reasons at the moment, works for the kind of person we know Norman is going to become. I would think he would be extremely isolated, or at least feel that way. Perhaps he does, but it's not easy to register when cute girls just can't wait to hang out with him.
You thought that was flirting?

That's what well adjusted human beings look like when they are not actively using sex to manipulate the situation... Unfortunately they were accidentally using sex which acerbates the situation. Most women live in a bubble where they don't believe that all men are always constantly plotting to see underboob. Basically those 16 year old girls were acting like they were 10 and ignorant in a good way, where they think it's possible for men and women to have platonic relationships even if one of them is sitting under her fanny in the back of a moving car.

They were offering him automatic Ducky status because he seems harmless and of course the benefit of the doubt.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 06:21 AM   #17
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I understand that reference. Automatic Ducky status. Christ, I'm old.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 06:41 AM   #18
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

10 years on Two and a Half Men should have made Mr. Cryer one of the more famous actors in America... Lets see what another 10 years on that same sitcom does for his career?

(Actually, I saw John on Stage playing Opposite Stephen Colbert and Neil Patrick Harris in a 2011 production of "Company" the other night where he held his own fine. )

Old March 20 2013, 06:45 AM   #19
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I'm in Oklahoma. We lack "the theatre." We have lots of football, Republicans, and guns, though.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old March 20 2013, 07:11 AM   #20
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1942831/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Official and legal recording. Though in all honesty, without the smell of the house lights making those actors sweat and panic, it's just a shadow of actually attending.

I was watching yesterdays Dallas, and Mitch Pileggi (Skinner from X-Files) was going full on Bates. His overbearing mother (Angela from Who's the Boss.)had been sawing his balls off slowly for the last 4 decades, untill he finally acted out on all those frustrating years of being harmfully emasculated at he top of a staircase... And he was calling her "Mother" too.

Old March 20 2013, 06:49 PM   #21
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

I am very glad I am not the only one who caught the incestuous subtexts.

In fact, in the previews, there is a scene where the mom is making out with someone. Until she met the Deputy Sheriff, I thought that was supposed to be her and Norman!
Old March 20 2013, 10:19 PM   #22
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I was looking but didn't see it. Did Robert Bloch get cited in the credits?

"Based on characters created by . . . ."
Yes. I thought I saw that flash on the screen.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 10:35 PM   #23
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post

Glad to hear it. Where PSYCHO is concerned, Bloch doesn't always get enough credit.
Old March 21 2013, 09:44 PM   #24
Borjis
Commodore

I didn't care for Norman being in town for like five minutes and four hot girls are on him and then a hot teacher flirts with him.

I know right?!?! I kept thinking where's the ugly or average looking chick among the group of girls?

And flirty as hell with a nerdy introvert like Norman? uh no.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 01:00 AM   #25
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I agree with Guy. They weren't really flirting with him. He was "best friend" (safe) guy material. A bit of an oddity to them. Not all teenaged girls are mean. I'm glad the writers went against type.

Old March 22 2013, 01:09 AM   #26
DarKush
Rear Admiral

You can call it what you want, but almost every woman thus far on the show is way too friendly with Norman. We do know that one of the teens digs him and I do believe that that teacher was a little too close to him, and why did the camera do the close up of her hand touching his? Granted I don't think that all of the girls in the car were digging Norman romantically, but I did find it odd that they all warmed to him so quickly and even had him jump in their car, when they didn't know this guy from anyone. Perhaps you can chalk it up to teenage impulsiveness, but it didn't quite ring true for me.

I did like the scene though where they invite him to 'study' and he actually thinks he's going to study. It sounds like something I would've done.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 01:56 AM   #27
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Well, grades are important.

It doesn't matter if those girls were offering sex or Friendship, it only matters how Norman "interprets" what they said/did, and what he feels is a justifiable punishment for the gap between what really happened and what he thought happened.

Norman looks like a school yard shooter. Even if it's subconscious, or just Darwinism in action, it's a relatively inexpensive defence offensive called "being nice and inclusive" which limits the number of whackjobs unloading their dads ak47 into the lunch-room because there's no one to revenge upon.

The future is now.

Or is it possible that their parents raised them right in a small time with no big city influences and they are nice kids like it was still the 1950s all over again? Like a less extreme version of the Village.

Old March 22 2013, 02:01 AM   #28
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

It doesn't matter if those girls were offering sex or Friendship, it only matters how Norman "interprets" what they said/did, and what he feels is a justifiable punishment for the gap between what really happened and what he thought happened.
Bingo. There's a touch of the surreal in how Norman interacts with his environment. It made me wonder how much was real and how much in his mind.

Old March 22 2013, 02:17 AM   #29
Shanndee
Commodore

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Bingo. There's a touch of the surreal in how Norman interacts with his environment. It made me wonder how much was real and how much in his mind.
This is how I interpreted it as well. I think this was his perception of the introduction/car ride/party. I think it is possible we may see the girls' version of the events in the future...when the "sweet boy" begins to unravel.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 05:55 AM   #30
cylkoth
Commodore

During the closing credits.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...22217905_n.jpg