IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 12 2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Vikings--history channel series (spoilers)

So, I didn't see a thread for this series so I thought I'd start one. You can actually watch the new episode ahead of time on certain "alternative viewing" sites.

It's piqued my interest. The cinematography is lush and breathtaking. The actors seem to know what they're doing and the scripts aren't shying away from the fact that these protagonists were raiders. Ragnar isn't cuddly. Travis Fimmell has really captured Ragnar as a lead character and this relationship with his slave/monk Athelstan captured at Lindisfairne (which apparently was historically correct as being the first site raided by the Vikings in Northumbria) is challenging to say the least, but intriguing nonetheless. I can understand why Adelstan didn't run away.....where's he going to go in a strange land of violent people with no money to bribe anyone? Would a sheltered monk even know how to hunt or survive in the woods? Winter would be a bitch. It's not like he could catch a luxury liner home.

Rollo harrassing his brother's wife won't end well, and apparently shield maidens aren't a construct of the shows writers. They weren't common, but they did exist. I'm hooked. Can't wait for next week.

EDIT--Okay, apparently I'm blind and there is a thread concerning the pilot on the bottom of page two. My bad. Can the mods delete this or somehow merge the threads?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Vikings--history channel series (spoilers)

You've apparently seen more episodes than me (History just showed ep 2 Sunday night), but yeah, I'm diggin' it. I'm hoping it's as much history lesson as entertainment, but I'd have to dig out a buncha books from the basement to fact check it.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 08:09 PM   #3
gturner
Admiral

Strange History Channel fact: The Vikings raided Ireland and then returned home and sold the booty at Ulf Harrison's pawn shop.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Rollo harrassing his brother's wife won't end well, and apparently shield maidens aren't a construct of the shows writers. They weren't common, but they did exist. I'm hooked. Can't wait for next week.
Not only aren't they made-up, but Lagertha in particular is a total bad ass from history/legend. Ditto for Ragnar. I can't wait to see where the series goes.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 11:10 PM   #5
JD
Admiral

As the person who did the pilot thread I'm fine with leaving this as the season thread, I don't know if I'm going to be to do a seperate thread for each episode.
As for the second episode, I really enjoyed it. Historical shows like this are quickly becoming a favorite genre of mine, and this is a good one. It's pretty impressive how much of the stuff in this is real. There are a bunch of the behind the scene videos on the History Channel website, and in one of them they discuss the thing they did before they left where they washed their faces and blew their noses into a bowl, and apparently that really was something they did.
Old March 12 2013, 11:45 PM   #6
gturner
Admiral

Ragnar's wife is a third-degree black belt.
Old March 12 2013, 11:53 PM   #7
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Not only aren't they made-up, but Lagertha in particular is a total bad ass from history/legend. Ditto for Ragnar. I can't wait to see where the series goes.
Ragnar Lothbrok and his wife are semi-mythical characters from Viking sagas of that period. Supposedly, they lived a bit later (app. mid-9th century) than the time period the show is based in and they raided both England and France a lot.

This show does look pretty authentic and it's made well. And the Irish scenery is gorgeous.
Old March 13 2013, 01:09 AM   #8
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I haven't read much on it. Is it all filmed in Ireland? I thought that maybe they were actually in Scandanavia for part of the filming.

I also wonder what's up with the Earl. There's a very strange scene in this third episode that makes one wonder if the Earl has problems rising to the occasion with his missus.

So there really was a farmer's blow Viking style?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old March 13 2013, 01:37 AM   #9
Shurik
Fleet Captain

I haven't read much on it. Is it all filmed in Ireland? I thought that maybe they were actually in Scandanavia for part of the filming.
According to Wiki, it's filmed in Ireland. The scenery makes me want to visit Ireland again even more than usual.
Old March 13 2013, 03:38 AM   #10
RevDMV
Rear Admiral

Cool a thread, I just happen to catch the first episode and I'm all in on this one.

I'm curious how'll they'll blend the history, myth and story they want to tell. It already felt like they were adding a level of fantasy to the background.

I certainly enjoy the shipbuilder...
Old March 13 2013, 03:56 AM   #11
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I don't know; that shipbuilder is kind of creepy and wrong. I do look forward to seeing what kind of cat and mouse game/stockholm syndrome/manipulation type dynamic will develop between Ragnar and Athelstan. No fangirlish shipping, it's just that the potential for some great psychological material is there with Athelstan being a captive and all that. He's a repressed monk, though. The temptations of a hedonistic life may prove daunting.

Old March 13 2013, 07:44 AM   #12
gturner
Admiral

Athelstan needs to convert some of the heathens. As I recall, fairly recent archeology has found that pagan and Christian Vikings lived side-by-side virtually all the way through the Viking period. They can tell from the different burial rights. The BBC had a three-part documentary on the Vikings about 5 months ago (link), which you can still probably find tucked away in some corner of the Internet.

The Vikings also made the news this week with the discovery of a mythical Viking sunstone, which they used for navigation in cloudy weather.

National Geographic sunstone link with details.

Short summary. Researchers tested it and 20 volunteers could find the direction of the sun to within 1 degree on a cloudy day.
Old March 13 2013, 01:40 PM   #13
Forbin
Admiral

Dorian, do us a favor and don't spoil things that happen in future episodes we haven't seen. It's kinda rude.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

In Dorian's defense, it's an odd situation in that History is actively encouraging people to watch upcoming episodes online, but, yeah, I'm just planning to watch the episodes as they air on Sunday nights, so I'm hoping people will refrain from commenting on the "advance" eps until they actually show up on TV, not just computers.
Old March 13 2013, 05:07 PM   #15
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I had no idea the episodes were airing ahead when I started the thread because I happened on the series accidentally and I put spoilers in the title to warn anyone coming into the thread. I thought the episode on the alternate site would air the following night. I thought the episode I'd seen would be the most recently aired. Thread's all yours, Forbin.

Last edited by Dorian Thompson; March 13 2013 at 05:42 PM.