Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 8 2013, 05:32 PM   #121
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: The Voice 4

Honestly I think the only two who have a shot to win are Danielle Blandbery and Michelle Chamuel.

They consistently lead the iTunes sales, and they are the only two to receive one of those special 10x iTunes bonuses for finishing in the top ten.

I'm still pulling for Sasha Allen, but I think it's between those two.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 03:15 AM   #122
Danny99
Vice Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post
My attention has shifted to The Voice UK. They just had their knockout rounds. There's no amazing singer like Judith Hill, but so far most of the UK singers are better than their american counterparts.
Judith will go on and sell her records. I won't buy one and if she's ever on the radio, I'll change the station. She was no different than most pop on the radio today.
Old June 11 2013, 08:36 PM   #123
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Is it me or was every single song choice by every single competitor complete and utter pandering?

I'm finally starting to see the appeal of Danielle Bradbery, if only because everybody else's blatant pandering is making hers seem less severe.

Bradbery and Swons are cleaning up on iTunes. I think Sasha Allen and Amber Carrington lose today.
Old June 11 2013, 10:00 PM   #124
Aragorn
Admiral

Sasha Allen completely missed the point of "I Will Always Love You." How do you dedicate a song with those lyrics to your children?

I never thought much of The Swon Brothers. Didn't think they should've made the live rounds and figured they'd survive a couple rounds and then go home. But as the live rounds have progressed, they've actually gotten a lot better. Them making the finals would be a surprise to a lot of people, but in the semifinals they came out swinging and now are legitimate contenders. I have to wonder how much being the only males left and the Oklahoma connection have helped them out.

Amber's my favorite of the remaining contestants, but she's probably going home tonight.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 01:14 AM   #125
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Ever since the final 8 the voters have had three choices: Schmaltzy diva-pop, Michelle Chamuel, and the Swon Brothers.
Old June 12 2013, 04:23 AM   #126
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Ever since the final 8 the voters have had three choices: Schmaltzy diva-pop, Michelle Chamuel, and the Swon Brothers.
I might restructure this to schmaltzy diva-pop, Michelle Chamuel, and country singers. Not that I necessarily dislike schmaltzy pop or country, but I it is getting old on this show.

I'm seeing the appeal of Danielle Bradbery too, simply because her coach chooses really good songs for her voice and, as Blake said last night, she is able to hold notes in a very clear and smooth way. It can sound soothing in comparison to Sasha Allen's trilly, big performances.

The show isn't over yet on the West coast so I don't know the results quite yet. I would guess that Amber and Sasha go home.

I'm still surprised that the Swon brothers are so popular. They aren't bad singers by any means, but unlike the other contestants I think that they usually have very bad song choices that don't really showcase their talents, and are frankly just boring to watch. So it surprises me that they are doing so well on iTunes.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 08:47 AM   #127
Aragorn
Admiral

When the live rounds started, I knew Danielle would make it and I knew Judith would get eliminated (it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Josiah, Vedo, Kris, etc., wouldn't make it to the finals, but Holly lasted a lot longer than I thought she would), but I never saw The Swon Brothers coming. They certainly picked a good time to hit a home run. I guess these kind of shows tend to favor artists who have growth over the course of the season instead of the ones who peak at the beginning.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 03:23 PM   #128
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The Swons are country but they're not in the same category as modern country. They're more like 60s country, like Gram Parsons.

I associate modern country with being a schmaltzy, pandering parody of itself. Like "AMUURRCAH AMUURRCAH! The olds days and small towns are awesome I'm so gosh darn humble, RED WHITE AND BLUUUUEEE!"
Old June 18 2013, 05:04 AM   #129
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I'm only about halfway through the show, but does anyone else think it's weird that Blake and Danielle are singing a song to each other about falling in love? They are even staring into each others' eyes as they sing...uhh creepy.
—T.S. Eliot
Old June 18 2013, 05:55 AM   #130
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I'm only about halfway through the show, but does anyone else think it's weird that Blake and Danielle are singing a song to each other about falling in love? They are even staring into each others' eyes as they sing...uhh creepy.
People do that when they sing duets.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 06:02 AM   #131
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Yeah. There is a reason that male/female duos are so often wrongly assumed to be together romantically. (though a lot of them do start out that way)
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 05:19 PM   #132
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
People do that when they sing duets.
Well obviously, but presumably they had some choice in the song they sang, and a 16 year old girl and her 35 year old coach singing a song to each other about falling in love just gave off the creepy vibes.
—T.S. Eliot
Old June 19 2013, 12:24 AM   #133
Danny99
Vice Admiral

So who wins tonight?

My head is saying Danielle, but I still think Michelle has a strong chance.
Old June 19 2013, 12:44 AM   #134
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Nobody as blatantly and unapologetically schmaltzy as Danielle could possibly lose.

I suppose dark horse winners are possible. If you look at iTunes right now, Daneille has #2, but the Swons have #5 and #8, and there's that top ten 10x clause.

(Emotion - sincerity of that emotion) * Adorableness / Originality = Chances to win singing competition.

Danielle probably had it from day one.
Old June 19 2013, 03:24 AM   #135
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Everyone with a Judith hard-on is getting their five minutes right now.

Even seeing Christina made me realize how great this season was without her. Maybe she needs to do another tour.

And Nelly with Florida Georgia Line? What the?