The Voice 4

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by intrinsical, Mar 17, 2013.

1. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

All the doom and gloom about NBC aside, I am really excited by this season of The Voice, which starts on 25th March. Mainly because I just discovered one of my favorite singers has auditioned! And if the promos are not misleading, Blake, Usher AND Shakira all turned around for her. :techman:

The singer I am talking about is Amy Whitcomb, lead singer of A Capella group Delilah and her own band The Whits. I think she will go very far in The Voice. If the stars are aligned, she will win.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR6SdX7V9UE[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJeLrMdZXTU[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuOyU1_jkA[/yt]

2. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't a fan of Delilah on The Sing-Off, but it was mostly because of the others in the group, I didn't mind Amy Whitcomb at all. Unfortunately I do see her as kind of generic though. She actually reminds me a lot of Cassadee Pope, the most recent winner.

Speaking of which, I was a bit disappointed with the results last season. I was really pulling for Terry McDermott, and Nicholas David second. They had unique and exciting voices, Cassadee Pope was just sort of...blah. Like there are thousands of girls in high schools across the country that can do the same thing. Whereas what Terry had was truly electrifying.

Anyway, I'll tune in to the new season, but I'm not sure I'll stick it out. I've never been a fan of Shakira, but I didn't like Christina Aguilera much either so I guess that evens out. Also sad to see Cee Lo go. I just really hope that this season the true rock voices can shine.

3. intrinsical

My thoughts about last season was that Cassadee Pope won because the rest simply were not contenders. Nicolas David could only sing songs from his genre and will only appeal to a niche audience. Terry McDermott has a good voice but does not emote well when he sings so he fails to connect with the audience.

As for the judges, the only one I did not like was Christina. This is a show for seasoned singers and yet Christina constantly sabotages herself by picking the younger, less experienced singers who then quickly get voted out because they pale in comparison to the more experienced singers.

4. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Christina was a horrible judge. I don't think she had one nice thing to say about the competitors on the other team and for the people on her team, all we ever saw was "Darling/baby, you were off the hook!" or something equally as hip. The other three are far superior in teaching the singers and holding my entertainment value.

5. Spot's Meow

I agree completely about Christina. I don't agree about Terry McDermott though, some of his performances even made me cry! I thought he was the perfect all-around package.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The attitude Christina Aguilera threw at Tony Lucca all throughout season two was annoying and painful to watch. I don't even understand where all her hostility came from. That he was Mickey Mouse Club and didn't pick her?

Then last season Christina seemed to have a passive-aggressive bone to pick with Melanie Martinez. When asked to give her opinion about Melanie, she would only compliment the set design. It'll be good to have a season free of her drama.

7. Spot's Meow

Yeah, those were the two most egregious situations with Christina. I did notice the set compliments when talking about Melanie Martinez, it was bizarre. I wasn't a huge fan of Melanie but come on, you could at least treat her like she deserves some respect. Same with Tony Lucca. SO uncomfortable and petty.

8. Aragorn

Well they did it again by short-changing a few of the blind auditions. I'm trying to remember if any of the reduced-to-montage singers ever succeeded in the live rounds. I know they short-changed Cassadee Pope's knockout round, but the knockout round was a new thing last year and they had a lot more performers (which thankfully they cut back down for this season). Does anyone without a broadcast backstory get very far on this show?

I've also noticed the time they devote to airing the coaches bickering with each other is like three times longer than previous seasons.

9. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's be serious: this show is about the four coaches. None of the winning singers so far have become the mega-stars; I don't even remember hearing them on the radio.

Want to cut something? Cut Christina Milan and her useless Twitter updates.

10. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

^Agreed. I find the back and forth between Adam and Blake highly entertaining. I'm also starting to enjoy Shakira.

Next season can we keep Shakira and bring Cee Lo back?

11. Aragorn

Was shocked to see Julie Roberts as a blind audition contestant, but the moment she started singing that song I knew no one would turn around for her.

That one teenager who returned from last season and landed on Shakira's team -- Garrett Gardner -- I have to wonder if the coaches got notes on him beforehand (not that it was him singing, but that he'd be one of the contestants) because Blake and Adam sure remembered a lot of specifics about him. Although last season Blake was both surprised and happy to turn around for Dez Duron and Daniel Rosa because he remembered them.

From what I've read, Mark Burnett did nothing to promote Javier Colon after season one (Dia Frampton sold more albums than him). Jermaine Paul's album hasn't even come out yet because his (heavily manufactured) single tanked. Looks like Cassadee Pope will have a strong push for her upcoming album and it's not even coming from the people behind The Voice -- it's coming from CMT and her Nashville label.

Chris Mann might be the most successful contestant (by Voice standards), but he already had a fanbase and professional career before the show.

I think I read that Burnett only cares about making a hit TV show and doesn't care about what happens to any of the singers afterward.

12. intrinsical

The standards seem to have dropped this year. I am noticing a lot more 4-chair turnarounds to singers who don't sound spectacular to me. To be honest there were a few good singers but other than Judith Hill, none of the rest have really wowed me.

I'm kinda sad to read that as Mark Burnett is going to dip his hands into NBC's other singing competition, The Sing-Off. Now I'm dreading the changes he may make to the show.

13. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of all these shows how many singers became mega stars? The first one and the first country one, and perhaps one from the country genre, different national shows and gospel genre clone shows. The rest get the one hit at best then are out. They are all about the actual celebrities, it is why Idol keeps saying they will replace Randy Jackson. To bad Michael has left us because in their dreams that is the Jackson they want.

14. Aragorn

Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, and that's it.

15. Spot's Meow

Jennifer Hudson as well, and she wasn't even that close to being the winner (I think she went out 7th?).

Another change I've noticed is that that they don't do what I call the "double blind" auditions anymore. This is where they hide the identity of the singer from the viewers until after the chairs have turned or the performance is over. They didn't do it that often, but I still looked forward to it and thought it was fun. I noticed that last season they didn't do it at all, and it looks like they probably won't this season either.

16. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I might add Miranda Lambert

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Daughtry's had a decent career. Adam Lambert's doing okay.

18. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I'm not sure that winning and getting a restrictive contract is the important thing. I think the exposure and the experience may mean more in the long run.

19. intrinsical

Even The Voice UK coach Tom Jones said its best not to win. You don't get tied to a restrictive contract where even the coach cannot do anything to help the winner.

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Being a great singer is only half the battle. None of them are going to hit big until they have good original songs to sing. I expect someone like Mackenzie Borg or Melanie Martinez to have a hit long before any of the winners do.