CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 28 2013, 10:14 PM   #91
Warped9
Admiral

Re: S.S. Valiant Appearance

aridas sofia wrote: View Post
What would you think of giving it a few VTOL lifting body details?
Actually the basis of the design does resemble something like the main body of the recent shuttle-orbiter if you remove the add-ons I put to it. It wouldn't be that hard to remodel the shape with upswept winglets rather than the bits I put on.

Last edited by Warped9; April 29 2013 at 04:12 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 02:04 AM   #92
sojourner
Admiral

aridas sofia wrote: View Post
What would you think of giving it a few VTOL lifting body details?

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/h/hl203vw.gif
http://area51specialprojects.com/images/ecn2359.jpg
http://www.air-and-space.com/2009052...20rear%20l.jpg
Or even a more "DC-X" idea that takes its looks from your central rocket but functions like a tail-landing DC-X:
http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/x/x33p4.jpg
I actually worked on a shuttle based on the HL-10 at one point. It was going to seat about 12. Here's an early image after I got the main body complete. I got as far as cutting in windows before getting distracted by new shiny things.

Talk about a pain in the ass to do in Sketchup.
Old April 29 2013, 02:06 AM   #93
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Cool. I've always liked that design. What render program did you use?

Man, now I'm starting to second guess.
Old April 29 2013, 02:08 AM   #94
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

That is exactly the kind of thing I meant, yes. Very nice.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 02:23 AM   #95
sojourner
Admiral

That's a Kerkythea render.

Here's a cutaway. The door is going to be on the left as you face forward at the same level as the pilot. 2/3 steps up from the pilot is the main cabin. That tube was going to be an EVA airlock. aft of the main cabin would have been a fresher and storage.

[/URL]
Old April 29 2013, 03:00 AM   #96
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Hmm. Is it possible to have two rendering programs? I'm using Maxwell, but I think I'd like to try another like Kerkythea.
Old April 29 2013, 04:40 AM   #97
sojourner
Admiral

^Yes. Kerkythea has a plugin that imports the model straight from Sketchup as it's running. The problem with Kerky is poor documentation. It takes a lot of experimentation to get good output from.

Curious, are you using the free Maxwell for Sketchup? I installed it but didn't like the lack of control on size of the output image. It seemed to basically rely on how big you sized your Sketchup window.
Old April 29 2013, 05:33 AM   #98
Warped9
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
^Yes. Kerkythea has a plugin that imports the model straight from Sketchup as it's running. The problem with Kerky is poor documentation. It takes a lot of experimentation to get good output from.

Curious, are you using the free Maxwell for Sketchup? I installed it but didn't like the lack of control on size of the output image. It seemed to basically rely on how big you sized your Sketchup window.
Really? I haven't experienced that problem. I'm still getting used to Maxwell as I'm learning as I go. My main concern with it presently is the smoothing issue. When I render my model unless I have a lot of facets in a curve it looks segmented. Even with a lot of segments it can still be discernible. Otherwise I haven't hit anything I've really disliked yet. Mind you I paid for the $99 upgrade to make better use of it and to get larger images.

Right now I'm trying to understand how to get a glowing flame coming out of a nozzle or engine exhaust port. I've already begun using the emitter or lighting features in the program, but I haven't figured out how to do a flame yet.
Old April 29 2013, 05:49 AM   #99
sojourner
Admiral

^For that I cheat. I create an exhaust shaped object, make it semi-transparent in whatever color I desire, then add an object inside with an emitter.
Old April 29 2013, 05:55 AM   #100
Warped9
Admiral

^For that I cheat. I create an exhaust shaped object, make it semi-transparent in whatever color I desire, then add an object inside with an emitter.
And that gives you the nuance illusion of a flame? Himm, I'll have to try that.

Old April 29 2013, 03:06 PM   #101
Warped9
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
looking at this design there are couple of small things I should change. The landing winglets don't really mesh with the overall look. I could make the underside a bit flatter to look a bit more like a re-entry type design. And the aft engine setup can be better. I think the rest is fine.

That said I don't know when I'll revisit this because I want to get back to my previous parade of spaceships project.
Old April 29 2013, 03:17 PM   #102
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Hard to get a good read on that shuttlecraft. I think the main disconnect between it and the Valiant for me are the aft engines. Why would the shuttle have a different and seemingly more advanced engine?
Old April 29 2013, 05:17 PM   #103
Warped9
Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
Hard to get a good read on that shuttlecraft. I think the main disconnect between it and the Valiant for me are the aft engines. Why would the shuttle have a different and seemingly more advanced engine?
My Valiant design is far more advanced than anything we can likely expect by mid century, but then the DY-100 was far more advanced than what was possible for the 1990s. The point is TOS' universe is not ours and contemporary Trek fell down by trying to shoehorn our reality into Trek's. And so I ignore adhering strictly to what our reality would dictate because it doesn't gel with what Trek and more particularly TOS has already shown us.

The big engine at the back of the Valiant isn't a rocket engine in the conventional sense. It's one of the early forms of impulse (which possibly came into use around TOS' 2018) but on a big scale in relation to the rest of the ship. In contrast note how small the impulse engines are on TOS era ships and shuttlecraft. The Valiant's impulse drive (and Kirk in WNMHGB did say the Valiant had impulse engines) can drive the ship to near the speed of light if needed, but it is a secondary drive. The Enterprise's impulse can do the same thing, but look how much smaller (in relation to the size of the ship) and faster reacting they are, too.
Old April 29 2013, 05:18 PM   #104
sojourner
Admiral

Well, less flame, and more exhaust like.
Old April 29 2013, 05:18 PM   #105
Warped9
Admiral

Well, less flame, and more exhaust like.
Cool. I'll try that.