RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,889
Posts: 5,476,299
Members: 25,049
Currently online: 671
Newest member: RikersBeard

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 7 2013, 11:05 PM   #1
DS9forever
Fleet Captain
 
"One Small Step" thoughts

I haven't seen this episode in years, but decided to watch it a few days ago - it is pretty terrible that it starts out as Chakotay focused episode, with Chakotay interested in the Ares IV, but then the writers completely shift the focus onto Seven. They couldn't even wait for Chakotay to get out of Sickbay to attend the funeral?
DS9forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 11:37 PM   #2
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

Well, Chakotay wasn't the guest of honor so why wait?

Was this one of the few times we saw B'Elanna at the helm of Voyager?
__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 12:18 AM   #3
Captain Kathryn
Commodore
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: NYC metropolitan area
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

Chakotay always gets the shaft and by the end of the series didn't everything pretty much focus on Seven? lol. I liked the Seven character and watching her evolve from a drone to a human, but I didn't like that suddenly most episodes became ultimately about her.

This episode was kind of sweet that they are paying respects to those who came before them. But it came to a point where it seemed as though they were almost risking their lives for a dead guy (not to be crude or offensive).

The episode did have me on edge because, even though I obviously knew they would escape, it was suspenseful.
__________________
Once there was a grocery man whose name was simply Louie...until the day his store blew up and his produce went kablewie.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 03:33 PM   #4
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

But wasn't that the point? To risk their lives for knowledge, in this case knowledge not just for an unusual phenomenon but for a "dead guy" who in the space of an hour became all too real to Seven and Tom and Chakotay as they listened to his voice and his stories.

That's why I absolutely love the ending, despite some people's interpretation that Seven was upstaging the corpse at his funeral.

SEVEN: The Yankees, in six games.
To me that line and Tom's smile meant that the "dead guy", even if only for a few moments, once again lived for these people. Once again "mattered" to his community, beyond just being a name and a mission date.
__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 04:18 PM   #5
hux
Lieutenant Commander
 
hux's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

DS9forever wrote: View Post
I haven't seen this episode in years, but decided to watch it a few days ago - it is pretty terrible that it starts out as Chakotay focused episode, with Chakotay interested in the Ares IV, but then the writers completely shift the focus onto Seven. They couldn't even wait for Chakotay to get out of Sickbay to attend the funeral?
I thought Tom was supposed to be the mars expert, nostalgia buff anyway.....i think they just needed a Chokatay episode didn't they (series 6 and 7 is almost all Seven or the doctor) so he got this one even though Paris probably shouldv'e been the trigger for Seven's realisation that exploration for explorations sake is blah bla blah (see sig)
__________________
Kryton - Is this the human quality you call....friendship

Lister - Don't give me any of that Star Trek crap, its too early in the morning
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Captain Kathryn
Commodore
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: NYC metropolitan area
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
But wasn't that the point? To risk their lives for knowledge, in this case knowledge not just for an unusual phenomenon but for a "dead guy" who in the space of an hour became all too real to Seven and Tom and Chakotay as they listened to his voice and his stories.

That's why I absolutely love the ending, despite some people's interpretation that Seven was upstaging the corpse at his funeral.

SEVEN: The Yankees, in six games.
To me that line and Tom's smile meant that the "dead guy", even if only for a few moments, once again lived for these people. Once again "mattered" to his community, beyond just being a name and a mission date.
I do agree with you. I was not trying to say that it was not worth it for them and I do enjoy this episode. I just thought (at least the first time I watched it) that it came all too close to risking their own lives...because I had grown to love the Voyager characters and this episode had me worried for them even though...I knew that by the end of the episode, that they would all be back.

And yes I do love Seven's line at the end about the Yankees.
__________________
Once there was a grocery man whose name was simply Louie...until the day his store blew up and his produce went kablewie.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Captain Kathryn
Commodore
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: NYC metropolitan area
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

hux wrote: View Post
DS9forever wrote: View Post
I haven't seen this episode in years, but decided to watch it a few days ago - it is pretty terrible that it starts out as Chakotay focused episode, with Chakotay interested in the Ares IV, but then the writers completely shift the focus onto Seven. They couldn't even wait for Chakotay to get out of Sickbay to attend the funeral?
I thought Tom was supposed to be the mars expert, nostalgia buff anyway.....i think they just needed a Chokatay episode didn't they (series 6 and 7 is almost all Seven or the doctor) so he got this one even though Paris probably shouldv'e been the trigger for Seven's realisation that exploration for explorations sake is blah bla blah (see sig)
It's true they needed to bring Chakotay's character back in the limelight a little towards the end. About the shift of focus at the end of the series towards Seven and the Doctor...even though I didn't agree with everything suddenly centering around Seven...I must admit I love the Doctor and can't get enough of him. I never get sick of the Doctor! Not only is he the source of much needed sarcasm and comic relief, but he pushes the bounds of what we think of when we hear the word "human" or "person". Seven, even though she was Borg, is still a human. The Doctor was not and still managed to learn and adapt and be creative. I love that. And Robert Picardo is just so hilarious. I couldn't imagine anyone else playing that character.

In this episode...even though it started out as being Chakotay's "thing", it became a turning point for Seven in her discovery of her own humanity. So, in that sense, I think the ending was okay. They DID after all risk their lives (more severely than usual) to recover that shuttle and the astronaut, so he was already fully respected. Seven's line at the end was FOR the man! Yes, they should have waited a little while...until Chakotay was out of sickbay haha. But, he already got what he wanted. He wanted to bring the shuttle and the man to Voyager for a proper space funeral and they succeeded. So, even if he was in sickbay, I think he was satisfied with the results.
__________________
Once there was a grocery man whose name was simply Louie...until the day his store blew up and his produce went kablewie.

Dead Lazlo's Place

Last edited by Captain Kathryn; March 8 2013 at 04:45 PM.
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 11:49 PM   #8
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

I liked this episode for the idea that they find this ship from home (although they seemed to do a lot of that on Voyager... the floating car from '37s, the '37s themselves, the 8472 San Francisco, the Voth, etc).

This episode does feature one of my trek-tech pet peeves, though. Seven downloads the contents of the Ares to her tricorder via... via what? bluetooth? Wifi? She just kinda opens it up and it gains access to a system that's 300 years old. Interoperability of devices is one of those "made-for-TV" hand-waves that bug me.

I wish I could put my cell phone on an old Commodore-64 and get it to play Aztec Challenge again.
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 12:06 AM   #9
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

What kills me is how B'Elanna can hack into the vidiaan's computer system without a tricorder.

Heck, she doesn't know the language, doesn't know the protocol for opening up the programs, but still she can access it and get it to do all she desires?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbVrnhWzVZg

Granted... in this clip she is less than stellar, but by episode's end she is a whiz at the console.

God, how I love this ep!

__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 02:10 AM   #10
DeepSpaceWine
Commander
 
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Chakotay always gets the shaft and by the end of the series didn't everything pretty much focus on Seven?
Not always. Season 6 was the low, the time there was the most conflict between the producers and him, though he seemed to get a reprieve in "Tsunkatse" and get a fair amount of screentime. He got decent usage in parts of Season 7. I found it interesting he was basically the one trying to get the shanghaied & brainwashed crew back in "Workforce", that it was basically up to him (and Kim, Neelix and the Doctor, 3/4 of the least liked characters according to the series' biggest haters) to reassemble the crew so Voyager's journey didn't end there. It's one of the only things Season 7 improved over Season 6 (and giving everyone their fair share of episodes focusing on them. Even DS9 Season 7 didn't exactly do that. Quark & O'Brien got the short end of the stick).

Critics claimed Chakotay started dying his hair in Season 6, but I just saw some Season 4 episodes again, and his hair looked uniformly black there (he had more gray in Season 2). I think he just used a different shade of black or one with a different sheen that made it more obvious.
DeepSpaceWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:05 AM   #11
Captain Kathryn
Commodore
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: NYC metropolitan area
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

DeepSpaceWine wrote: View Post
Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Chakotay always gets the shaft and by the end of the series didn't everything pretty much focus on Seven?
Not always. Season 6 was the low, the time there was the most conflict between the producers and him, though he seemed to get a reprieve in "Tsunkatse" and get a fair amount of screentime. He got decent usage in parts of Season 7. I found it interesting he was basically the one trying to get the shanghaied & brainwashed crew back in "Workforce", that it was basically up to him (and Kim, Neelix and the Doctor, 3/4 of the least liked characters according to the series' biggest haters) to reassemble the crew so Voyager's journey didn't end there. It's one of the only things Season 7 improved over Season 6 (and giving everyone their fair share of episodes focusing on them. Even DS9 Season 7 didn't exactly do that. Quark & O'Brien got the short end of the stick).

Critics claimed Chakotay started dying his hair in Season 6, but I just saw some Season 4 episodes again, and his hair looked uniformly black there (he had more gray in Season 2). I think he just used a different shade of black or one with a different sheen that made it more obvious.
I just meant that in the later seasons, he isn't given as much screen time as Seven. Like Robert Beltran has said...his character was not developed to its full potential.
__________________
Once there was a grocery man whose name was simply Louie...until the day his store blew up and his produce went kablewie.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 11:20 PM   #12
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

His acting is often just terrible. They developed 7 and the Doctor and I'm pretty sure their sparkling performances had a lot to do with it. Why would anyone want to write gripping dialog for a guy who can't even show some expression when he finds out his lover has betrayed him?

And this is the eleventh episode of season 1! So the theory that poor Beltran was sooo bored after years of being neglected that floats about doesn't bear up.

__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 11:30 PM   #13
DS9forever
Fleet Captain
 
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

^ That was a long pause!
DS9forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 11:50 PM   #14
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

You notice the pause... and yet all I noticed was how blue Janeway's eyes were at 1:08 through 1:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o98UL...tailpage#t=68s

Chakotay/Beltran was stoical in that clip... but I think that was an acting choice since he was trying not to show Seska that he was affected by her betrayal.

He certainly was NOT wooden the next year in "Manuevers".


Seska was a great villian. I loved her!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1FEam9TRWM

Loved to hate her, that is!

__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: "One Small Step" thoughts

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
And yes I do love Seven's line at the end about the Yankees.
Me too!
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.