Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 14 2013, 04:26 AM   #31
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Re: NBC Sucks! AKA NBC Primetime lowest watched week ever!

Look at the network lineup from here, the 1985-1986 season.

I don't think we will ever see one like this again.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 05:20 AM   #32
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
I still watch Smash.
Now on Saturdays. That's a good sign right?
I record it on Tuesdays.

It's bee officially dumped on Saturdays, make sure you change your settings if need be.
Old March 14 2013, 05:28 AM   #33
degra
Fleet Captain

tv overall sucks. Broadcast is littered with stale procedurals, recycled storylines, awful reality shows and sff seems to be able to only do limited premise mystery dramas with no direction and horrible writing. It looks like more of the same judging by the pilot season.

cable isn't much better with reality shows featuring stuck up angry women, hillbilllies, pregnant teenagers, and d level Sci fi movies.

and for all the talk about mad men, the walking dead, game of thrones and its ilk I don't see it as being all that entertaining or better. Sure you have more coarse language or gratuitous nudity but at the end of the day they are just plodding pretentious bores.

I find myself preferring to rewatch shows like tng, ds9, voyager, golden girls, Roseanne etc because they are actually entertaining with good casting and decent to great characters not the rapid pacing, lackluster casting, bland characters, conviluting labored storytelling that appears to be en vogue anymore.
degra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 05:40 AM   #34
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

I record it on Tuesdays.

It's bee officially dumped on Saturdays, make sure you change your settings if need be.
I think my DVR will compensate, but I'll keep an eye on the sneaky little SOB.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:27 PM   #35
Amasov
Rear Admiral

One genre of TV I can't stand are the crime and police procedurals. That's almost all CBS shows. To me, the outsider, they're all the same. I don't see the difference and why they pull in such high ratings. Of course, someone outside of Star Trek could probably say the same thing. I'm just so of seeing procedural after procedural.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:56 PM   #36
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Now that 30 Rock is finished, I watch just a few shows on NBC: The Office (mostly out of habit, and the desire to see the ending) and Parks and Recreation, which is one of the best shows on TV.

I have tried watching 1600 Penn but it is so bland (except for the oldest son). There'll be a funny spark now and again, but not enough to keep it going.

I have a bunch of Go On episodes on TiVo, but haven't been motivated enough to watch them. I did kind of like what I saw at the beginning.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 02:52 PM   #37
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

SVU and the Office were in repeats. That's why I didn't watch much NBC.
Starbreaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 05:01 PM   #38
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

jayceee wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Broadcast will survive, but with the focus on live TV - news and competitions (sports, election coverage, and reality TV) - because they cannot be comfortably timeshifted.
This would be a sad wasteland.
I'm sure sports fans would still enjoy it. Think of broadcast as just one segment of the future entertainment picture, like a sushi restaurant. Maybe you hate sushi and never go there. Doesn't mean there aren't other restaurants for you to go to, or that some people don't like sushi.

I already ignore broadcast until whatever is worth watching makes its way to netflix, which is few enough now, so if broadcast simply stops producing anything worthwhile, I won't mind.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 08:12 PM   #39
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Kestrel wrote: View Post
This is what happens when you cancel Star Trek.

Anyway, despite its blandola beginnings Grimm has turned into something pretty kickass and I'm definitely looking forward to Revolution coming back. So no, NBC definitely doesn't suck.
I agree. NBC owned the 80's after cancelling Star Trek, a regrettable decision but not a killing one.

The number 1 network tends to be cyclical. CBS was number 1 in the 50's and 60's, then ABC in the 70's, NBC in the 80's and part of the 90"s, and now CBS is back on top. It always looks like the mumber 1 network will never falter when things are going right and like (whichever) network is on the bottom will never straighten itself out. It is usually just a matter of time.

If things go the way they usually do, NBC will likely be back on top one day soon and Les Moonves and CBS out of it, with ABC on deck. Who knows, Fox may be the next network to rule. Maybe a cable channel will break through. Who knows.

I have watched (and still watch), and loved NBC shows like 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Community, The Office, Revolution. I think these are all high quality and unique shows. There isn't a single CBS show I wath on a regular basis.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 09:03 PM   #40
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I forgot about Revolution. I like that one too.

I do watch a few CBS shows (The Big Bang Theory, Person of Interest), but now that I think about it, I don't think there are any ABC shows that I watch....??
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 12:06 AM   #41
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Kronos wrote: View Post
They have been in the weeds a lot longer then 5 years, one could make the argument that since Friends left the air 9 years ago that the network has produced nothing but crap and critical darlings that not enough people care about. (Hi Thursday night!)
True.

I keep forgetting it's 2013 and not 2003.
Old March 15 2013, 02:02 AM   #42
degra
Fleet Captain

I tried watching revolution but the characters are so bland, Charlie and her brother are annoyingly useless and the storylines aren't that interesting. And I have gotten tired of flashbacks. It is another of these perennial limited premise mystery epic that end up going nowhere
degra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 06:32 PM   #43
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Bob Greenblatt has been whining about Leno's jokes.

Three executives close to the situation reported this week that Mr. Greenblatt had taken offense to monologue jokes Mr. Leno made last month in the wake of news stories about NBC’s ratings struggles and how the network had fallen into fifth place in the sweeps month of February — behind the Spanish-language network Univision.
Isn't part of this guy's job to greenlight comedies? How can he do that if he utterly lacks a sense of humor?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 10:42 AM   #44
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
I still watch Smash.
Yeah, everyone on the Facebook page complains that the show has gone to the dogs. It wasn't all that good last year, I think it's an okay show with amazing musical performances. I don't mind it when it gets cheesy, but not everyone's taste. It is finally doing something, this past two weeks, with its characters and this is when the complaints have been the loudest. I don't get it.

Ever since they drew 4.5 million households and a 1.6 in the demo for the season premiere (which was down 25% from the season finale last year), I have watched their ratings tank. They probably can't get advertisers anymore. DVR and the internet is killing television. We need to have a new metric to measure including DVRs.

They don't have "The Voice" to lead them in anymore. And it's pretty unanimous--no one like's Jeremy Jordan's character.

Hey, this way it will be easier to buy the complete series on DVD.
Old March 17 2013, 04:05 PM   #45
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Kronos wrote: View Post
They have been in the weeds a lot longer then 5 years, one could make the argument that since Friends left the air 9 years ago that the network has produced nothing but crap and critical darlings that not enough people care about. (Hi Thursday night!)
True.

I keep forgetting it's 2013 and not 2003.
At least you don't keep getting reminded that it's still the 1950's.