TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 12 2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow
Season 3 Why So Many Good Story's !!!

Out of all the seasons of TNG Season 3 is still my favourite.... I was thinking why.... ???

Some of the story's are brilliant E.G. Yesterday's Enterprise BOBW part 1 I also noticed they seemed to be more action in season 3 like The Vengeance Factor The Hunted The Survivors The High Ground Also lets not forget there is some really good story's to do with the Romulans as well The Enemy The Defector is still one of my all time favourite TNG episodes !!!

So what makes Season 3 so good !!!
Old March 12 2013, 08:56 PM   #2
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: Season 3 Why So Many Good Story's !!!

Michael Piller.
Old March 12 2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

MikeS wrote: View Post
Michael Piller.
That's it !!!! Did he direct all of season 3 ??? I can't remember what he did ????
Old March 12 2013, 10:52 PM   #4
cheesepuff316
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think he wrote the scripts?
cheesepuff316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Lance
Commodore

They lucked out getting Michael Piller in. He replaced Maurice Hurley, who'd been doing the job for most of seasons one and two. Piller brought a different sensibility to the series to what Hurley had been doing, although Hurley still contributed a script or two during Piller's first run.

The difference in tone is startling. I've seen a fellow TrekBBSer describe it as being like the producers were saying, 'Hey, that stuff we did the first two years, well we're going to start doing it properly now'. It's like TNG was a child who was finally becoming an adult. It's exactly like that. It's as if Piller sat everybody down in the writer's room after he took over in season three and just said to them, "Okay guys, let's make this series grow up a bit now".
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:28 AM   #6
Mojochi
Commodore

Perhaps never in tv history has a tv show hitting its stride been so pronounced as the stark improvement of style & form of TNG seasons 3 & 4. It's like some characters actually hadn't even been fully realized until then, I mean Sins of The Father, & The Offspring were major milestones for Worf & Data's development

& then there's Sarek, for god sake, & season 4 was just a continuation of the hit parade
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:43 AM   #7
Dream
Admiral

They started focusing on the characters more and become more willing to do light serialization starting in season 3. Also there was no more revolving door of writers with many of them leaving or being fired like in the first two seasons, the writers mostly stayed in S3 and lasted for the rest of the series.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:57 AM   #8
Dream
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
They lucked out getting Michael Piller in. He replaced Maurice Hurley, who'd been doing the job for most of seasons one and two. Piller brought a different sensibility to the series to what Hurley had been doing, although Hurley still contributed a script or two during Piller's first run.
Kind of funny how fast Piller got the job.

"Hey, we really liked your 'Evolution' Script! Want to be the head of the writing staff?"

"Sure!"
Old March 13 2013, 11:21 PM   #9
Mott the barber
Commodore

MikeS wrote: View Post
Michael Piller.

Beat me to it. He, along with his writers Behr, Echevaria, Taylor, Moore, etc. really took it to the next level.

I'm gld they're doing a tribute to him on the S3 Blu-Ray.
Old March 13 2013, 11:51 PM   #10
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Definitely the best ever TNG season for me and probably the second or third best year's worth of Star Trek ever. The fewest disappointing episodes of any run I can think of and that's really saying something in a 26 show stretch.

The Best of Both Worlds feels like it might be Michael Piller's wish fulfilment - literally exhausted and hoping some writer equivalent of Shelby would oust him from his responsilbility. Or for the Borg to suddenly show up and arrange a kidnapping! TNG is suddenly becoming a monsterous success and the demand for that standard to be bettered or at least upheld, was probably intense.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; March 14 2013 at 12:38 AM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 12:10 AM   #11
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

S1 was shit, S2 was mediocre, S3 was fucking brilliant.

Huge change in gears and an incredibly important season. Ensured Star Trek survived as long as it has.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 12:40 AM   #12
sonak
Vice Admiral

Actually, I think that season 3, while good, is a bit overrated in that now I think it's often regarded as the best season. To me, this season had a few too many slower, more soap opera-esque episodes to be the best one. Seasons 4, 5, and 6 were all better.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 03:01 AM   #13
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Michael Piller's not the only great writer they brought aboard season 3. Moore, Biemer, Behr, Echevarria.

Season 3 does have to be one of the most incredible stretches of episodes in Star Trek history.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 08:47 AM   #14
Dream
Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Season 3 does have to be one of the most incredible stretches of episodes in Star Trek history.
TNG certainly wins the "Most Improved Star Trek series from the Pilot" Award with that season.
Old March 14 2013, 01:52 PM   #15
Trek Survivor
Captain

I love season 2, but season 3 is also fantastic. A few classics, but generally just a higher level of consistently "good" episodes.

Whereas season 2 ranged from utterly fantastic to really dreadful, even season 3's "lesser" episodes were "good". Set a much higher bar to TNG. Shame they couldn't maintain it beyond season 4.