Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 29 2013, 03:26 AM   #46
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

One time I was watching an old Man From UNCLE episode, and this fellow showed up in a still photograph:

He later shows up again, in the flesh, looking much younger:

James Doohan in "The Bridge of Lions Affair".
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 04:00 AM   #47
Christopher
Writer

It's interesting to compare actors in old-age makeup with how they look when they really do get old. The makeup artists rarely come anywhere near the truth. The only thing that photo has in common with the real older James Doohan is the moustache.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 06:02 AM   #48
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's interesting to compare actors in old-age makeup with how they look when they really do get old. The makeup artists rarely come anywhere near the truth.
I've often noted that too. But I wonder how much of this is due to the cosmetic procedures nearly everyone in show business has done these days. Facials, chemical peels, face lifts, hair dye, wigs, hormone therapies... we have no idea what aging actors would really look like without all the work being done.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 04:46 PM   #49
Christopher
Writer

^I really don't think that applies to how James Doohan looked in the '80s and early '90s. The reason is that people's faces change shape as they age, often due to weight gain, sometimes due to weight loss. Age makeup rarely incorporates weight-gain makeup as well, which is why Shatner and Doohan aged so differently in reality than they did in "The Deadly Years" (or The Man from U.N.C.L.E.).

And of course the voice also changes with age, something else that actors have a hard time faking. Shatner's voice is much deeper now than it was in the '60s, in contrast to "The Deadly Years" where he put on a higher-pitched "old man" voice.

Old March 29 2013, 07:09 PM   #50
HGN2001
Commander

Forbin wrote: View Post
I was delighted to run into Leslie Parrish again while watching a Mannix episode yesterday:

I was crazy bout her back then. Such a beauty!
Ah, but you missed the fact that Leslie Parrish actually wore her very same Apollo-created gown in the MANNIX episode, "The Girl In The Frame":

In MANNIX:

In STAR TREK:

Harry
HGN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 07:20 PM   #51
HGN2001
Commander

Mr. Stiles (Paul Comi) flying a different type of craft in 12 O'CLOCK HIGH:

K-7 Station Manager Lurry (Whit Bissell) as an informer in WWII France in 12 O'CLOCK HIGH:

Losira (Lee Meriwether) meets Gary Seven (Robert Lansing) in 12 O'CLOCK HIGH, while Dr. Swain from THE TIME TUNNEL looks on:

Harry
Old March 29 2013, 07:24 PM   #52
HGN2001
Commander

Dr. McCoy show up briefly in THE FUGITIVE:

Harry
Old March 29 2013, 09:01 PM   #53
Forbin
Admiral

Excellent!
I saw Leslie int he Apollo dress on Mannix, I just failed to remember to get a screen cap.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 06:34 PM   #54
Forbin
Admiral

Speaking of Lee Meriwether! A threefer in a 3rd season Mannix I just watched - Barbara Babcock, Lee, and um, whassisname fro Bread and Circusses.

Old March 30 2013, 06:37 PM   #55
Christopher
Writer

^Logan Ramsey.

Come to think of it, Mannix was the third and final series that came out of Herb Solow's efforts to get Desilu into the hourlong-drama business again, after Star Trek and Mission: Impossible. So it's no wonder they had so many guest stars in common, and no wonder that Parrish reused the Carolyn Palamas dress.

Old March 30 2013, 06:52 PM   #56
HGN2001
Commander

Speaking of Lee Meriwether! A threefer in a 3rd season Mannix I just watched - Barbara Babcock, Lee, and um, whassisname fro Bread and Circusses.

A Sutton Roley-directed episode! You can tell by the reflection of Mannix in his sideview mirror as Lee Meriwether drives by. Roley was very inventive with odd angles and shots.

Harry
Old March 30 2013, 10:37 PM   #57
Forbin
Admiral

Yes, there were some very clever shots in this episode. Flashbacks were especially clever - a character would walk across the shot as she began telling the story, and her head would act as an in-camera wipe to the flashback, revealing the past event behind her, then her past self would do the same thing in the flashback, revealing the present behind her in the wipe. Required some good in-camera planning to have the actress in two different makeups and probably a stand-in as well to complete the shot.
Old March 31 2013, 01:46 AM   #58
EnsignHarper
Commander

HGN2001 wrote: View Post

A Sutton Roley-directed episode! You can tell by the reflection of Mannix in his sideview mirror as Lee Meriwether drives by. Roley was very inventive with odd angles and shots.

Harry
Logan Ramsey

Speaking of which, woke up last night, turned the tube on - which was tuned to Turner Classic Movies - and the infamous Monkee movie, Head was on, and Ramsey was in that as an LA cop in one one of the many dream/LSD trip segments...
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 01:49 AM   #59
EnsignHarper
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Logan Ramsey.

Come to think of it, Mannix was the third and final series that came out of Herb Solow's efforts to get Desilu into the hourlong-drama business again, after Star Trek and Mission: Impossible. So it's no wonder they had so many guest stars in common, and no wonder that Parrish reused the Carolyn Palamas dress.
Wonder if Joe D' Agosta did the casting for that - which seems likely...and I also wonder if Parrish herself remembered the costume, when the script suggested a 'sexy wrap around' dress...
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 02:18 AM   #60
Christopher
Writer

EnsignHarper wrote: View Post
Wonder if Joe D' Agosta did the casting for that - which seems likely...
Yes, he did. He did all the Desilu shows from that period -- The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy, Star Trek, Mission: Impossible, and Mannix. He also did Roddenberry's first show, The Lieutenant, which was from MGM.

and I also wonder if Parrish herself remembered the costume, when the script suggested a 'sexy wrap around' dress...
Hard to say. Would she have wanted to wear it again, given how much tape it would've had to be stuck to her skin with and how carefully she probably had to move in it? Anyway, it strikes me as the sort of thing that would've been the costume supervisor's responsibility, not the actress's.

Anyway, the Mannix episode aired only 6 months after "Who Mourns for Adonais?", so somebody in the costume department may have remembered the dress. The costumers for the different Desilu shows may have worked in the same offices or workspaces, or used some of the same assistants, or something, so the folks over on Mannix may have known about the Palamas dress when it was made (it certainly would've left an impression) and remembered it when Parrish was cast for Mannix.

This makes me wonder if any other Trek costumes have shown up in other TV shows. Maybe we need a spinoff thread for "Trek costumes in maybe surprising roles."