MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 9 2014, 03:54 PM   #436
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Yup - I also recently saw Corey on Barney Miller as an Amish man.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 10:39 AM   #437
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Mission : Impossible
"The Carriers"

George Takei's first mission with the IMF will be his last if he is exposed by co-star Barry "Giotto" Russo.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 07:42 PM   #438
EnsignHarper
Commander

Forbin wrote: View Post
He also did another Barney as an elderly ex-con who commits a crime because he can't cope with the outside world.

Outside of James Gregory, William Windom and Corey, I am hard pressed to remember another TOS actor who appeared on Barney. Barney Miller had its own little roster of bit players who they used about once or twice a year each as various perps/victims. People like Candy Azzara, Phil Leeds , and especially Ken Tigar, who played a nut who thought he was a werewolf - and then later was possessed, and another who thought he was Christ.
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 08:26 PM   #439
Christopher
Writer

EnsignHarper wrote: View Post
Outside of James Gregory, William Windom and Corey, I am hard pressed to remember another TOS actor who appeared on Barney.
Do you count the TOS movies? George Murdock ("God" from ST V, as well as Admiral Hanson in TNG) had a recurring role as Lt. Scanlon of Internal Affairs.

Looking over IMDb's cast list for the series, I also find Vic Tayback, Ed McCready Jay Robinson, Meg Wyllie, Janet MacLachlan, Jon Lormer, Ian Wolfe, Michael Pataki, and Victor Brandt. And if we count the movies, there's Alex Henteloff, Christopher Lloyd, Roger Aaron Brown, and Allan Miller.

And it has gone the other way a couple of times. Gregory Sierra was in DS9's "Second Skin" and Ron Glass was in VGR's "Nightingale." Guest stars who did both Barney and modern Trek include David L. Lander, Kenneth Tigar, Kenneth Mars, Stefan Gierasch, K Callan, James Cromwell, Robert Costanzo, Nehemiah Persoff, Richard Libertini, Barry Gordon, Stanley Kamel, Joanna Miles, Tricia O'Neil, Warren Munson, Alan Oppenheimer, and Earl Boen.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 09:00 PM   #440
Forbin
Admiral

He also did another Barney as an elderly ex-con who commits a crime because he can't cope with the outside world.

Outside of James Gregory, William Windom and Corey, I am hard pressed to remember another TOS actor who appeared on Barney. Barney Miller had its own little roster of bit players who they used about once or twice a year each as various perps/victims. People like Candy Azzara, Phil Leeds , and especially Ken Tigar, who played a nut who thought he was a werewolf - and then later was possessed, and another who thought he was Christ.
Barney's in our dinnertime rotation of half hour shows to watch while eating. We watch one whole disk, one ep a night, then rotate to another show. It's a couple of months between Barney Miller disks, but even at that my wife and I find ourselves saying saying "HIM again!" (or her) all the time.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 07:25 PM   #441
EnsignHarper
Commander

[QUOTE=Forbin;9231715]

Barney's in our dinnertime rotation of half hour shows to watch while eating. We watch one whole disk, one ep a night, then rotate to another show. It's a couple of months between Barney Miller disks, but even at that my wife and I find ourselves saying saying "HIM again!" (or her) all the time.
I have so many favorite BARNEYS, and so many favorite 'him/her again' people, it shad to choose the best. Always a soft spot for Phil Leeds - one was on Antenna the other night where this plain looking lady had gotten charmed by, and then accosted by a suave, good looking 'photographer' , and when they find him and bring him in it's - Phil Leeds. Dietrich, bless him, just goes, "NO!".
Old February 11 2014, 07:33 PM   #442
EnsignHarper
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Outside of James Gregory, William Windom and Corey, I am hard pressed to remember another TOS actor who appeared on Barney.
Do you count the TOS movies? George Murdock ("God" from ST V, as well as Admiral Hanson in TNG) had a recurring role as Lt. Scanlon of Internal Affairs.

Looking over IMDb's cast list for the series, I also find Vic Tayback, Ed McCready Jay Robinson, Meg Wyllie, Janet MacLachlan, Jon Lormer, Ian Wolfe, Michael Pataki, and Victor Brandt. And if we count the movies, there's Alex Henteloff, Christopher Lloyd, Roger Aaron Brown, and Allan Miller.

And it has gone the other way a couple of times. Gregory Sierra was in DS9's "Second Skin" and Ron Glass was in VGR's "Nightingale." Guest stars who did both Barney and modern Trek include David L. Lander, Kenneth Tigar, Kenneth Mars, Stefan Gierasch, K Callan, James Cromwell, Robert Costanzo, Nehemiah Persoff, Richard Libertini, Barry Gordon, Stanley Kamel, Joanna Miles, Tricia O'Neil, Warren Munson, Alan Oppenheimer, and Earl Boen.
BRAVO - I had forgotten about all those.... Lormer, in fact, is IN the episode "Werewolf".....

I was much more aware of the TNG guests who had done Barney. Of course some of THOSE have been on just about everything also. Tigar's IMDB list is ridiculously long, as is Oppenheimer's.
Old February 12 2014, 01:32 AM   #443
Botany Bay
Commodore

"Fakeout"

Veering off topic a little here, but this is Lloyd Bridges as he appeared at the time Star Trek began production. Hard to imagine him as Captain Kirk, but apparently he nearly got the role.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old February 12 2014, 01:44 AM   #444
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop drinking Saurian brandy!"
Old February 12 2014, 02:55 AM   #445
Botany Bay
Commodore

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop drinking Saurian brandy!"

From the same episode :

Sid Haig (Return of the Archons)

Eli Behar (Dagger of the Mind)
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old February 13 2014, 03:38 AM   #446
Botany Bay
Commodore

"Elena"
This episode boasts a trio of TOS actors.

Stunning Barabra Luna (Mirror Mirror)

Barry Atwater (Savage Curtain)

Abraham Sofaer (what a cool name...Abraham was in Charlie X)
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old February 13 2014, 05:22 AM   #447
Christopher
Writer

What's wild about "Elena" is that it's basically an episode built entirely around guest stars. It's a solo mission for Rollin Hand, and Martin Landau was still officially billed as a recurring special guest at that point, even though he'd effectively become the series lead once Steven Hill was marginalized.

Wasn't Sofaer also the voice of the Melkot in "Spectre of the Gun"?

Old February 13 2014, 06:19 AM   #448
Botany Bay
Commodore

Indeed he was a Melkot, too. Good pick up.

That's a good point about the "all guest star episode"! It's interesting in these early episodes to see that very few of the team are utilised some weeks, and, yes, Rollin/Landau is always a "guest star" at this point.

I really think Steven Hill makes a very cool team leader. I think Herb Solow wrote about having to fire Hill refusing to work weekends for religious reasons or something? A shame, I think he's great.
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old February 13 2014, 02:29 PM   #449
EnsignHarper
Commander

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Indeed he was a Melkot, too. Good pick up.

That's a good point about the "all guest star episode"! It's interesting in these early episodes to see that very few of the team are utilised some weeks, and, yes, Rollin/Landau is always a "guest star" at this point.

I really think Steven Hill makes a very cool team leader. I think Herb Solow wrote about having to fire Hill refusing to work weekends for religious reasons or something? A shame, I think he's great.
Hill is a very conservative Orthodox Jew. So he was VERY strict about observing the Sabbath, so that of course complicated matters shooting wise. The one great story is about him refusing to continue shooting until he could do a certain prayer - which required other Jewish males. So Solow had to scurry around Desilu gathering Shatner, Nimoy (in full Vulcan makeup!), and others to please Hill. A picture of that would be priceless...
Old February 13 2014, 02:51 PM   #450
Christopher
Writer

Actually the straw that broke the camel's back wasn't about Hill's religious observances, but about his adamant refusal to do a rather simple ladder-climbing stunt. He actually walked off the set and locked himself in his trailer, and as a result he was briefly suspended (and his role dropped altogether from the episode "Action!"). For the rest of the season, his role was diminished to simply assembling and briefing the team in the opening scenes, without joining them on the missions. Although the episodes were aired out of production order so the episodes in which he played a major role are scattered throughout the season.