Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 8 2013, 04:16 PM   #331
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

EnsignHarper wrote: View Post
I have not had the chance to go over the last 20++ pages, so I do not remember if this has been mentioned, but Here Come the Brides should have the record for the number of Trek guests as regular cast members - Mark Lenard, Robert Brown and David Soul. I was reminded this, when turning on AntennaTv, where it is shown early Sunday morning, and the guest star was....Nilz Baris! I guess there are very few shows, however, that William Schallert missed guesting on in the 60s....70s....80s.....
I assume you're familiar with Ishmael by Barbara Hambly? It's a Star Trek novel that is pretty much an unofficial Trek/Here Comes the Brides crossover. Spock falls through time and finds himself back in frontier Seattle . . . . .
Old December 8 2013, 04:54 PM   #332
Forbin
Admiral

We've been watching some episodes of WKRP on Cincinnati lately, involving Mr. Carlson's rich mother. Her butler was played by Ian Wolfe (Mr. Atoz), with a delightful dry sarcasm and some laugh-out-loud lines.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 05:19 PM   #333
Christopher
Writer

I have not had the chance to go over the last 20++ pages, so I do not remember if this has been mentioned, but Here Come the Brides should have the record for the number of Trek guests as regular cast members - Mark Lenard, Robert Brown and David Soul.
Guests, maybe. But T.J. Hooker's second season had William Shatner, Richard Herd (Admiral Paris), and James Darren (Vic Fontaine) as regulars -- although, admittedly, at the time only one of the three had done Trek.

Then there's Gargoyles, whose main cast included Jonathan Frakes, Marina Sirtis, and Salli Richardson (from DS9: "Second Sight") and whose recurring cast included Brent Spiner, Michael Dorn, Kate Mulgrew, Nichelle Nichols, etc.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 10:50 PM   #334
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I have not had the chance to go over the last 20++ pages, so I do not remember if this has been mentioned, but Here Come the Brides should have the record for the number of Trek guests as regular cast members - Mark Lenard, Robert Brown and David Soul. I was reminded this, when turning on AntennaTv, where it is shown early Sunday morning, and the guest star was....Nilz Baris! I guess there are very few shows, however, that William Schallert missed guesting on in the 60s....70s....80s.....
I assume you're familiar with Ishmael by Barbara Hambly? It's a Star Trek novel that is pretty much an unofficial Trek/Here Comes the Brides crossover. Spock falls through time and finds himself back in frontier Seattle . . . . .
I've read that!

It has some great stuff in it, although the references to Ceti Eels before they would have been known about was jarring. That's the problem, I guess, with trying to cram new information from new material into an established storyline with only superficial research.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 12:54 AM   #335
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Not a "guest" on Trek, but I just caught De Kelley in a Perry Mason the other night.
Old December 15 2013, 09:25 AM   #336
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
And Anthony Caruso as you NEVER wanted to see him!
You presume to speak for everyone, huh? Maybe some gals or guys think he's the bees knees.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 03:39 PM   #337
Forbin
Admiral

Have you ever seen a bee's knees? YUCK!

The Mannix I watched this weekend featured Robert Lansing, but I'm too lazy to take screen grabs.
Old December 15 2013, 08:53 PM   #338
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Yeah, bee's knees are all covered with pollen. Wait...
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 12:31 AM   #339
Christopher
Writer

I just saw The Man From U.N.C.L.E.'s "The King of Diamonds Affair," which has four Trek guests: Ricardo Montalban, Nancy Kovack, John Winston, and George Sawaya. Interesting that Winston is in this one, since he was in both "Space Seed" and TWOK, the only non-main cast member to co-star with Montalban in both his Trek appearances.

Nancy Kovack, by the way, does The Worst English Accent I Have Ever Heard. It meanders freely between Prim English Governess and Scarlett O'Hara, with various unidentifiable stops along the way. The episode is full of dreadful English accents -- starting with a Mockney only Dick Van Dyke could love -- but Kovack can't even narrow it down to the right continent.

Old December 19 2013, 04:53 PM   #340
Forbin
Admiral

I think I have some caps from that one upthread somewhere. Here's one:

Nancy looks completely different when she changes her hair color.
Old December 19 2013, 05:26 PM   #341
Christopher
Writer

^It should be noted, though, that Montalban's character is wearing a fake mustache in-story in that scene.

Old December 20 2013, 04:20 AM   #342
Forbin
Admiral

Tough-as-nails police Lt. Ken Lynch arrests David Vincent in the Invaders episode "Counter Attack."

Old December 20 2013, 04:37 AM   #343
Christopher
Writer

The UNCLE episode I saw today, "The Round Table Affair," featured a romance between Valora Noland, who was Daras in "Patterns of Force," and Don Francks, who was the first actor to play Boba Fett, doing his voice in The Star Wars Holiday Special and later reprising it in the Droids animated series. (He was also Sabretooth in the '90s X-Men animated series and several video games. And apparently he's known from La Femme Nikita, but I never got into that show.)

Old December 20 2013, 06:49 AM   #344
Push The Button
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I have not had the chance to go over the last 20++ pages, so I do not remember if this has been mentioned, but Here Come the Brides should have the record for the number of Trek guests as regular cast members - Mark Lenard, Robert Brown and David Soul.
Guests, maybe. But T.J. Hooker's second season had William Shatner, Richard Herd (Admiral Paris), and James Darren (Vic Fontaine) as regulars -- although, admittedly, at the time only one of the three had done Trek.

Then there's Gargoyles, whose main cast included Jonathan Frakes, Marina Sirtis, and Salli Richardson (from DS9: "Second Sight") and whose recurring cast included Brent Spiner, Michael Dorn, Kate Mulgrew, Nichelle Nichols, etc.
Both Spiner and Frakes appeared in episodes of Hill Street Blues.

Though the thread is about Trek guest actors, I'll mention that The Big Bang Theory currently seems to be the place for former Trek regulars. George Takei, Leonard Nimoy (voice only), LeVar Burton, Wil Wheaton (multiple episodes) and Brent Spiner have all made guest appearances. (Wil Wheaton's house number in one episode is shown to be 1701)
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 06:20 PM   #345
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Push The Button wrote: View Post

Though the thread is about Trek guest actors, I'll mention that The Big Bang Theory currently seems to be the place for former Trek regulars. George Takei, Leonard Nimoy (voice only), LeVar Burton, Wil Wheaton (multiple episodes) and Brent Spiner have all made guest appearances. (Wil Wheaton's house number in one episode is shown to be 1701)
I think Warehouse 13 is giving BBT a run for its money in the Trek alumni sweepstakes: Brent Spiner, Kate Mulgrew, Jeri Ryan, and Rene Aubojonois all have recurring roles, while Armin Shimmerman has guested as well.

It amuses me to no end that Pete's mom is Janeway and his ex-wife is Seven of Nine . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; December 20 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote