Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 14 2013, 03:51 AM   #166
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't know... what was great about Price was that he could be menacing, debonair, and snidely funny all at once -- like Colicos as Kor, DeLancie as Q, or Robinson as Garak. There wasn't much room for humor in Kodos.
On the other hand, Price did play tormented, possibly murderous thespians in both Madhouse and Theater of Blood.

And, you know, he would have been perfect for "Catspaw."
Old August 14 2013, 04:05 AM   #167
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Vincent Price as Richard Daystrom. Price could have brought as much theatricality to it as William Marshall.
Old August 14 2013, 04:38 AM   #168
Maurice
Vice Admiral

In addition to his talent, Marshall had a physical bearing that really sold the character that Price didn't possess.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 01:53 AM   #169
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

William Campbell spent some time handcuffed in the backseat of Adam-12 today.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 01:59 AM   #170
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
In addition to his talent, Marshall had a physical bearing that really sold the character that Price didn't possess.
Agreed, no complaints about Marshall's work. I still wish they could have gotten Leslie Nielsen back then for something, he was all over the place in the 60s as villains.
Old August 16 2013, 09:38 PM   #171
HGN2001
Commander

A fun MANNIX conicidence regarding TREK actors:

In season one, Mannix is hired by a potential gubernatorial candidate to dig up dirt on himself in an effort to see if his political rivals could do the same. Charles Drake ("Commodore Stocker") plays the politician in "Skid Marks On A Dry Run."

In season six, Mannix is hired by a potential gubernatorial candidate to dig up dirt on himself in an effort to see if his political rivals could do the same. William Shatner ("Captain Kirk") plays the politician in "Search For A Whisper.

Sound the same? You bet. The season six offering was a re-do of the same John Meredyth Lucas script. It was possibly done again because of a potential Writers Guild strike in 1973.

Oh - and for more Trek actors, you'll find Vic Perrin inhabiting the season one episode, and Yvonne Craig and Phillip Pine in the season six version.

Harry
HGN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 10:43 PM   #172
Christopher
Writer

Wow, they really figured TV was a disposable medium back then, didn't they? I've heard of shows remaking scripts from other shows, and there's a Bionic Woman episode that's a remake of a Six Million Dollar Man episode -- but the same show doing the same script twice, five years apart? I've never seen that before.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 11:01 PM   #173
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I've recently noticed Arlene "T'Pring" Martel in two episodes of The Monkees. In one, she is a blonde russian spy. In the other, a dark-haired assistant to a vampire. Pretty and funny in both.
Old August 16 2013, 11:23 PM   #174
HGN2001
Commander

Wow, they really figured TV was a disposable medium back then, didn't they? I've heard of shows remaking scripts from other shows, and there's a Bionic Woman episode that's a remake of a Six Million Dollar Man episode -- but the same show doing the same script twice, five years apart? I've never seen that before.
It happened on MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE too - while the show was still on CBS. They also recycled some scripts for the later ABC incarnation of the series - that was also due to a writers strike.

Harry
HGN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 11:34 PM   #175
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

^I am guessing this was possible because there were no reruns then?
Praetor Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 11:51 PM   #176
Christopher
Writer

HGN2001 wrote: View Post
It happened on MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE too - while the show was still on CBS.
I don't recall any such instances. Sure, the sixth-season "Invasion" was pretty similar to the first-season "Operation Rogosh," but they weren't identical and they had different writing credits.

They also recycled some scripts for the later ABC incarnation of the series - that was also due to a writers strike.
I didn't count that because it wasn't the same contiguous series, but a revival/sequel series fifteen years later. The only reason M:I was revived at all was because of the '88 writers' strike -- the networks feared they'd have no new content, so they revived the show as a way to reuse old scripts, intending to have new actors play the original characters. But the strike ended soon enough that they instead decided to bring back Peter Graves as Jim Phelps, rename the other characters so it'd be a sequel rather than a remake, rewrite the four reused scripts just a bit to modernize them, and do original scripts for the rest of the series.

You have to admit that the same continuing show remaking one of its own scripts after only five years is a rather different situation. I've seen a number of shows with unbroken runs longer than five years, but I can't think of any other instance of the same show shooting the same script twice.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 12:02 AM   #177
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Obviously you've never seen any Three Stooges shorts.
Old August 17 2013, 06:19 AM   #178
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Big Daddy wrote: View Post
^I am guessing this was possible because there were no reruns then?
Nope - there were reruns then. A show's year typically went something like:
Fall season (13 new eps)
Reruns
Spring season (13 new eps)
Reruns
Summer (more reruns)
Shows no longer in production might be shown as reruns in a regular afternoon or weekend slot - I remember watching The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, One Step Beyond, The Rifleman, Branded, The Real McCoys and other shows in those timeslots. Summer would be mostly reruns until the early 1970s when the idea began to catch on of introducing a new show as a summer replacement series.
Old August 17 2013, 06:32 AM   #179
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Also during the summers of the 1960s, networks would sometimes create a show title but just run unsold tv pilots, as if they were an anthology series. I think that mostly stopped due to complaints from the unions regarding residual benefits.
Old August 17 2013, 02:34 PM   #180
Forbin
Admiral

There was a Charlie's Angels where one of them gets accidentally grazed in the head by a kid playing with a real gun and gets amnesia. It was a direct reuse of a script from a Mod Squad ep (Julie was hit in that).

Then there was that TNG ep where Riker is accused of murdering an alien scientist to get his wife, and they reenct the crime on a holodeck. The same script was recycled on Voyager with Tom Paris in the hot seat. Can't recall either ep title at the moment.

And if you wanna see a complete theft, watch the closing scenes of Babylon 5's "Mind War", then watch the closing scenes of Voyager's "The Gift." Complete. Rip. off.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote