Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 5 2015, 12:46 AM   #1
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Statues in the last act of The Omega Glory

Here's yet another example of something I never really noticed or thought about in all the decades I've been watching Trek.

In the last act of The Omega Glory, our heroes are in some big room with the Yangs. I presume it's a Yang room. It could be a Kohm room, but all the Yangs' paraphrenalia are there.

In the corners of the room are statues sitting on blue boxes. They look European, so it follows that it's a Yang room. However, they're dressed more like some kind of weird Roman/Indian hybrid, not like the other Yangs we see.

Where did the prop masters get the statues? I'm sure they weren't made for the episode, so they must be relics of an earlier show, or more likely a period movie of some kind. Does anyone recognize them?
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2015, 12:58 AM   #2
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: Statues in the last act of The Omega Glory

I have no idea where they are from. I assume you mean the statues like the one in the background, here. http://strekonline.com/3981/star-tre...-glory-66#main
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2015, 05:13 AM   #3
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Here's yet another example of something I never really noticed or thought about in all the decades I've been watching Trek.

In the last act of The Omega Glory, our heroes are in some big room with the Yangs. I presume it's a Yang room. It could be a Kohm room, but all the Yangs' paraphrenalia are there.

In the corners of the room are statues sitting on blue boxes. They look European, so it follows that it's a Yang room. However, they're dressed more like some kind of weird Roman/Indian hybrid, not like the other Yangs we see.

Where did the prop masters get the statues? I'm sure they weren't made for the episode, so they must be relics of an earlier show, or more likely a period movie of some kind. Does anyone recognize them?

The props and set decorations generally came from the (combined) Desilu and Paramount prop inventory. I haven't seen these pieces in other productions, but they will, no doubt, surface in some old movies eventually--once people know to look for them.

You're right: European-ish busts of women elevated up on Matt Jefferies-esque blue pedestals. There would appear to be one in each corner--at screen left and screen right.

http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2015, 08:10 AM   #4
johnnybear
Commander

Let us not forget that The Kohms took over the land of The Yangs as stated by Cloud William! "That which was ours is ours again and will never be taken from us again!"
JB
johnnybear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2015, 11:47 AM   #5
Timo
Admiral

The Kohms took over the land of The Yangs
Well, that was a Jim Kirk statement, and "You're a romantic, Jim".

"That which was ours is ours again and will never be taken from us again!"
And the Yangs were genocidal savages. It's probably not a good move to believe their propaganda. Who had this land first? And does it matter? Cloud William is probably right in his prediction, as he has just razed the last Kohm settlement remaining on the planet - but if the Kohms indeed once did that to the Yangs, then another round of rebellion and retaking might well be coming...

The Yangs seem to drag around quite a bit of holy paraphernalia, including that big flag and heavy book. Considering the impromptu-looking pedestals, one wonders if the statues didn't travel with them as well!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2015, 01:35 PM   #6
Marsden
Fleet Captain

The Yangs could be somewhat like the Mongols were through their empire, which would mean, yes they brought their own statues.

I never thought about it, but that could be the main building in the Kohm village that they just took over, so were the statues theirs or did they not bother to remove them? Same think for the many drapes hanging around.
Old August 7 2015, 09:33 PM   #7
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
The Kohms took over the land of The Yangs
Well, that was a Jim Kirk statement, and "You're a romantic, Jim".

"That which was ours is ours again and will never be taken from us again!"
And the Yangs were genocidal savages. It's probably not a good move to believe their propaganda. Who had this land first? And does it matter? Cloud William is probably right in his prediction, as he has just razed the last Kohm settlement remaining on the planet - but if the Kohms indeed once did that to the Yangs, then another round of rebellion and retaking might well be coming...

The Yangs seem to drag around quite a bit of holy paraphernalia, including that big flag and heavy book. Considering the impromptu-looking pedestals, one wonders if the statues didn't travel with them as well!

Timo Saloniemi
I don't buy the extermination of the Kohms planetwide. That continent, quite probably. But planetwide? I don't think the Yangs are technologically advanced enough to even care about planetwide. "Sea to shining sea" may be Yang territory, but across the sea? The Yangs probably don't go there, and don't care who does.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2015, 09:37 PM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Indeed. The Yangs took back what the Kohms took from them, but there isn't a shred of evidence of actual genocide. No mention is ever made about the Kohms' native land...

As for Omega IV in general, I find it interesting what Christopher put forth in his novels based on the Department of Temporal Investigations:

Everybody's looking for Stilton

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; August 7 2015 at 09:54 PM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2015, 12:04 AM   #9
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Thanks for your contributions, everyone, especially Greg. It would be interesting if someone saw those props in an earlier movie or show.
Old August 8 2015, 12:07 AM   #10
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

One other tangential observation: I stepped through the frames for the apocryphal "beaver shot". I know I did once before, but probably on the DVD, not the BD.

Anyway, it certainly does look like a "flasher" incident, but did women go "bald" during that era? I thought that was a recent fad. I apologize if anyone finds this topic offensive.
Old August 8 2015, 12:43 AM   #11
Poltargyst
Lieutenant Commander

One other tangential observation: I stepped through the frames for the apocryphal "beaver shot". I know I did once before, but probably on the DVD, not the BD.

Anyway, it certainly does look like a "flasher" incident, but did women go "bald" during that era? I thought that was a recent fad. I apologize if anyone finds this topic offensive.
On the contrary, feel free to include a screen shot. 😊
Poltargyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2015, 02:08 AM   #12
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Poltargyst wrote: View Post

On the contrary, feel free to include a screen shot. 😊
This is the first I've ever heard of this.
Old August 8 2015, 02:34 AM   #13
NTRPRZ
Lieutenant Commander

I want to know who's going to get in trouble for shredding an American flag in this episode!
Old August 8 2015, 07:22 AM   #14
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

SonicRanger wrote: View Post
Poltargyst wrote: View Post

On the contrary, feel free to include a screen shot. ��
This is the first I've ever heard of this.
I've never heard of it either, and you have to know the people making the episode would be highly vigilant against wardrobe malfunctions. But if Poltargyst isn't kidding, I'd like to know what scene he means. I'm not above taking a look.

"The Omega Glory" does have some revealing communicator shots. There's one scene where I swear you can see everything.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2015, 08:56 AM   #15
johnnybear
Commander

The passing earth freighter theory doesn't hold water or the earth colonists finding Omega IV unless they went through a time warp! The Kohm Wu is hundreds of years old and his father is well over a thousand according to Captain Tracey! So when the Yangs and Kohms first fought their battles the earth was yet to face the dark ages of the thirteenth century!
JB
johnnybear is online now   Reply With Quote