Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Nimoy Health Scare
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 25 2015, 12:03 AM   #1
IronMaiden
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Watch all Star Trek Series but not TOS. Not Sure If I should

Hello
I've watched all Star Trek Series but not The Original Series
I don't know why but I don't like the old music, but I'm thinking of getting the blu ray for my birthday, but I don't know if I can watch it, I just keep telling my self it is almost like the rest of the Star Trek series, and I believe it is almost like the first season of TNG, but anyway if I don't get the TOS, I will be getting the rest of Enterpirse for blu ray, and yes people can say Enterprise is bad but I've been watching it lot's.
IronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2015, 12:45 AM   #2
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: Watch all Star Trek Series but not TOS. Not Sure If I should

And what did you wish to discuss?
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2015, 01:44 AM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I love the original Star Trek, but I've been watching it since 1975 when I was four years old. The characters are really the highlight.
Old January 25 2015, 01:46 AM   #4
Mark 2000
Captain

Send a message via AIM to Mark 2000

Music's the best part. If you don't want to watch it don't. We don't mind.
Old January 25 2015, 02:24 AM   #5
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Much as we love TOS, there are some people, mostly younger, who will never like it. It's a creation of the late 1960s and the future looked very different back then.

Your safest bet is to stream some individual episodes over the Internet (Hulu? Netflix? Youtube? It's got to be somewhere) and see what you think rather than buying a whole season sight unseen.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2015, 02:34 AM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Much as we love TOS, there are some people, mostly younger, who will never like it. It's a creation of the late 1960s and the future looked very different back then.

Your safest bet is to stream some individual episodes over the Internet (Hulu? Netflix? Youtube? It's got to be somewhere) and see what you think rather than buying a whole season sight unseen.
+1

Anyone that wants to get into TOS, should watch "And the Children Shall Lead" first. If one can make it through that hour, the rest is a cakewalk!
Old January 25 2015, 02:53 AM   #7
Harvey
Admiral

Letting him go into "The Alternative Factor" without warning? You're a mean old man, BillJ.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2015, 03:02 AM   #8
bbailey861
Admiral

View bbailey861's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post

+1

Anyone that wants to get into TOS, should watch "And the Children Shall Lead" first. If one can make it through that hour, the rest is a cakewalk!
Oh my goodness.

Seriously, though, the streaming idea is a good way to start. You'll find threads around here listing some of the better episodes.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2015, 04:47 AM   #9
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

And, in general, remember that most of the really good episodes are in the first two seasons. You really don't want to start with the third season!
Old January 25 2015, 05:37 AM   #10
IronMaiden
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you everyone, I might get the blu ray but I did see lot's of people uploading videos of episodes, or I can watch star trek continues but I don't know if it is a good idea?
Old January 25 2015, 05:59 AM   #11
Melakon
Admiral

IronMaiden wrote: View Post
star trek continues
I'm not sure why you'd want to watch an homage to TOS without first being familiar with the style of TOS. But I'm biased, having started with Trek in 1966.
Old January 25 2015, 06:08 AM   #12
Emperor Norton
Lieutenant Commander

And the Next Generation is a very 1980s/early 90s version of the future. Everything is a product of a time. However, that should not effect enjoyment. Twilight Zone frequently had episodes about things like the far off year of 1999 and something bad on a space colony we'd surely have by then, but that should not effect the reception of the show nor does it hinder the quality. Similar things can be said about all sorts of science fiction from various authors; Bradbury's Mars comes to mind. A good story is a good story regardless, and art is art regardless, and anyone who would complain about "I don't think miniskirts are futuristic" is being very shallow and ignoring the actual story.

Not to say that people won't take that shallow route, but the thread author shouldn't.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2015, 06:19 AM   #13
Goji
Rear Admiral

I had a college room mate my freshman year who refused to watch anything made before the year 2000 (and this was in 2005) because everything before "looked too dated". I found that mindset mystifying and off-putting as an 18 year old, and I couldn't get over how many wonderful movies and TV shows he was willfully denying himself. But, ultimately, people ought to just watch what they want to watch, even if others think they are silly for choosing what they choose or even just the way they chose it.

Regardless of all that, watching Voyager and not TOS is pretty silly.

Enterprise is decent though.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2015, 06:24 AM   #14
Mark 2000
Captain

Send a message via AIM to Mark 2000

Let me add one more thing. As far as I'm concerned everything made after TNG season 5 is 90% crap. That percentage heavily weighted by the fact that all four seasons of Enterprise are 100% crap. If you sat through that much wishy washy acting, stale plots, pointless giant space ship battles, technobabble, and wallpaper music then how could you be this afraid of a couple of hours of TOS? You seem to have a high threshold for pain, my friend. Power through it.
Old January 25 2015, 07:37 AM   #15
IronMaiden
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mark 2000 wrote: View Post
Let me add one more thing. As far as I'm concerned everything made after TNG season 5 is 90% crap. That percentage heavily weighted by the fact that all four seasons of Enterprise are 100% crap. If you sat through that much wishy washy acting, stale plots, pointless giant space ship battles, technobabble, and wallpaper music then how could you be this afraid of a couple of hours of TOS? You seem to have a high threshold for pain, my friend. Power through it.
Enterprise does not 100% suck
It is good and I wished it went on for 7 seasons
I really wanted to see what happened
but there will never be any more seasons then 4
anyway what does people think of the blu ray of the TOS
does that make it better, also how much is it like the other Star Treks?