TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 20 2014, 02:58 AM   #1
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

The Lorelei Signal

Just rewatched this TAS episode. Can anyone recall if this was the first time we got to see either (1) female security guards, or (2) Uhura assuming command of the ship?
SnowboredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2014, 03:54 AM   #2
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

Re: The Lorelei Signal

Yes to both, I believe.
Old November 20 2014, 03:59 AM   #3
Christopher
Writer

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
Just rewatched this TAS episode. Can anyone recall if this was the first time we got to see either (1) female security guards, or (2) Uhura assuming command of the ship?
In airdate order, yes. But in production order, it was immediately preceded by "The Survivor," which featured security officer Lt. Anne Nored.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2014, 04:47 AM   #4
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Thanks!
Old November 20 2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Timo
Admiral

...Interesting that all the seven'ish (*) female redshirts taking part in the action are of Lieutenant rank - while the bulk of Kirk's male redshirt force, at least in Security, were Ensigns or enlisteds according to their sleeves. Probably less a gender inequality statement and more a means of saving on animation by copy-pasting Uhura's uniform on all the officers, but still worth a chuckle.

Timo Saloniemi

* Six beam down, but that includes the blue-clad Chapel - yet at beamdown, there are six redskirts in evidence, one of whom has the head of Chapel. Yet of course there could have been more than five redskirts beamed down, say, in two batches (or then the transporter operator jumped in at the last second)...
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Marsden
Captain

Uhura didn't just assume command, she seized command from Scotty!

It was great, I don't care what other problems this episode may have had, just for that part it was great.

How many cartoons had the junior officers seizing command of the ship, even if it was justified? I think the full ramifications of this are lost with the 22 minute format and the nature of TAS being animated. That was a really dramatic moment, I wish it could have been given a better treatment.

Just one little note: I know I saw a thread saying something about DeSalle being ahead of Uhura in the chain of command as shown in Catspaw, but I just watched Alternative Factor and Leslie (!) was in the center chair. Does that mean he also was ahead of Uhura or just that he was on rotation to be in command.
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2014, 05:12 PM   #7
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

I also liked the sort of dreamy arrangement of the TAS theme that was played while Kirk and party were down on the planet. Was that cue used in any other episodes?
Old November 23 2014, 06:05 AM   #8
EnsignTOS
Lieutenant Commander

First time she took command onscreen, yes.
EnsignTOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2014, 09:01 AM   #9
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

In "The Apple," red-dressed Martha Landon acted more like a security guard than a yeoman, dishing out karate kicks and flipping a guy.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2014, 01:39 PM   #10
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

EnsignTOS wrote: View Post
First time she took command onscreen, yes.
Does that mean she previously did it offscreen in an episode, or she did it in a non-TV medium?
Old November 23 2014, 02:01 PM   #11
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Marsden wrote: View Post
... but I just watched Alternative Factor and Leslie (!) was in the center chair. Does that mean he also was ahead of Uhura or just that he was on rotation to be in command.
Possibly Uhura had never taken the 23rd century equivalent of the
bridge officer's test that we see Deanna Troi take. So she wasn't on the list of officers who would normally be given the conn, but as a competent officer she was able to take command in a emergency.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2014, 12:17 PM   #12
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Isn't this also the first time the transporter is used as a cure-all? The same solution crops up in TNG's "Unnatural Selection"
Old November 25 2014, 01:45 PM   #13
Mytran
Fleet Captain

The Transporter was used as a cureall a lot in the animated series, to the point that Robert April just tosses the solution out in The Counterclock Incident without a second's thought.

Glad they stopped doing that.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2014, 03:01 PM   #14
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

In the Foster novelization, didn't they lose their memories of the intervening events when their former transporter patterns were rematerialized? Or am I recalling that from something else?
Old November 25 2014, 04:09 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Isn't this also the first time the transporter is used as a cure-all? The same solution crops up in TNG's "Unnatural Selection"
Well, technically "The Enemy Within" would be the first time, since the transporter was used to fix the problem it had also created.

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
In the Foster novelization, didn't they lose their memories of the intervening events when their former transporter patterns were rematerialized? Or am I recalling that from something else?
You remember correctly.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote