Trek movies on the big screen in London!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Therin of Andor, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

How exciting! My current, first, trip to London - and bravery learning how to plan a solo journey on the Tube - coincided with a screening of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" (theatrical version) yesterday at the Cinema Museum, near Kennington.

A Facebook friend sent me a link with only hours to spare, causing me to reorganize my day. It was soooo worth it!

I was hoping some TrekBBS people might have been there, but most seemed to be Cinema Museum regulars, and me. They were a very friendly and welcoming bunch! And, for the price of your ticket to two movies, you get to roam the museum, which is filled with exhibits of wonderful movie theatre memorabilia from decades past!

ST:TMP was paired with Shatner's disturbing b/w film he made with Roger Corman: "The Intruder" from 1962: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055019/ which I'd never seen before. Reminded me a bit of "To Kill a Mockingbird" and even "The Twilight Zone" - in fact it had acting appearances by SF and TZ writers as actors (Charles Beaumont, who also wrote the screenplay, TOS's George Clayton Johnson, in his distinctive, long, white beard, and even William F Nolan).

I really hope London's SF media community embraces this planned season of TMP thru to "Generations". Remember to book: the theatrette only takes 36 patrons.

A really great idea for showcasing the work of the ST actors! You have six more chances of getting there! (Probably too far for me to come. Where's my transporter?)

[​IMG]
    Cinema Museum Star Trek poster by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Cinema Museum, London by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/2013/star-trek-season/

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This is great! I'd love to see STTMP on the big screen. My first exposure to it was at a friend's campground. They showed the movie on an old style film projector on a large screen (but not cinema sized screen). I recall a lot of people being bored...I might have been around 12 or 13.

RAMA

3. Therin of Andor

April 14th is not far away. I know the organisers are hoping to get a good roll up for "Star Trek II" screening on a double bill with Director Nimoy's "The Good Mother". Sadly, I'll be in Scotland by then...

4. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Which version of TMP was shown?

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

:techman:

6. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Oh missed that part. Print or digital?

7. Therin of Andor

The theatrical.

No rental print was available so they had to go digital, but it looked spectacular! The last time I saw a print version in a cinema, it was quite ragged.

Keep in mind that this is a 35-seater theaterette, but it was meeting other people attracted to the event, and enjoying a communal viewing, that was the best bit.

8. Therin of Andor

I just heard back from the Cinema Museum that the roll up for yesterday, for the ST II and "The Good Mother" double bill, was "slightly better" than the first screening. I'm now in Scotland - a rather long commute to Kennington - and I'll be back in Oz for all the others. Sigh.

Are there no UK ST fans interested in seeing the ST films amongst other fans, in real cinema seats, and opportunities to chat about the films before, between and after the screenings?

9. Therin of Andor

10. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How neat, but sadly I am not anywhere near London.

I like how they are pairing up the Star Trek films with other work the actors did.

I recognize that Wrath of Khan is paired up with The Good Mother directed by Nimoy
    Search for Spock is paired up with Fear in the Night starring a 27 year old De Kelley.

I don't recognize the other stuff though.

11. Therin of Andor

"The Intruder", with Shatner, reminded me of "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Twilight Zone". "Pretty Maids All in a Row" guest stars Doohan and is a whodunnit mixed with "The Graduate", written and produced by Roddenberry.

Still to come is Nichols in "Truck Turner". "Return to the River Kwai" with Takei was the movie that caused the actor to miss some great episodes of TOS in Season 2, much to Koenig's benefit. "InAlienable" is a 2008 science fiction film with horror and comic elements, written and produced by Koenig and featuring Marina Sirtis, Alan Ruck, JG Hertzler, Tim Russ, Patricia Tallman, Gary Graham, Richard Hatch, Walter's wife, Judy Levitt - and the since-deceased Andrew Koenig, their son.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

No doubt they are, just perhaps not in London.

13. Therin of Andor

London does have a pretty big population, I thought. :vulcan:

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral