Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 27 2013, 03:55 PM   #76
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Spoilers: Is This [Spoiler]'s Original Enterprise?

I remember a few years ago hearing JJ Abrams talk about how he wanted the ship Nero destroys in the first scenes of Trek09 to be the classic Enterprise, and closer to the TOS Jeffries design... He eventually went with the Kelvin, but I assume it was meant to be symbolic of classic Trek being overwritten by the NuTrek timeline as Nero enters the fray and causes all that temporal havoc.

So the idea of there being an older Enterprise floating around could be plausible, and in JJ's mind for some time.
Old March 27 2013, 06:13 PM   #77
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
My current crazy theory: This other ship looks little bit like the Enterprise-E, especially the nacelles and secondary hull. What if that's because it's the result of Old Spock teaching Starfleet all about future Treknology? It's the only reason I can think of that would explain Starfleet's "newest flagship" Enterprise being surpassed by a bigger badder ship in less than one year.
What makes you think it surpasses the current Enterprise, or that its a bigger badder ship?
Nothing really. I would prefer this other ship to be a contemporary of the Enterprise with roughly equal ability. It was just an idea that popped into my head.
Old March 27 2013, 07:26 PM   #78
Anduril
Captain

FlapJoy wrote: View Post
I remember a few years ago hearing JJ Abrams talk about how he wanted the ship Nero destroys in the first scenes of Trek09 to be the classic Enterprise, and closer to the TOS Jeffries design... He eventually went with the Kelvin, but I assume it was meant to be symbolic of classic Trek being overwritten by the NuTrek timeline as Nero enters the fray and causes all that temporal havoc.

So the idea of there being an older Enterprise floating around could be plausible, and in JJ's mind for some time.

What sold it for me with Trek09 was that the first shots of the Kelvin really gave me the impression that this could be a real spaceship operating out there and how advanced it must be to do this.

Then you see the shot with both the Narada and Kelvin in the frame and the Kelvin could look exactly like a TOS ship. You just have to squint a little to see it.
Old March 27 2013, 07:59 PM   #79
Saul
Rear Admiral

For arguments sake. What Starship (not including classes that became Enterprise) have a saucer, a secondary hull, raised nacelles and was seen clearly onscreen? I can think of kitbashes but none of those were seen clearly.
Old March 27 2013, 09:30 PM   #80
phoenix96
Ensign

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
It's just another goddamned Starfleet ship, and is just as likely the U.S.S. Bupkis as anything else. Most of them look alike and have for almost 50 years - haven't y'all noticed?
Not as alike as the JJ Enterprise and the mysterious second ship.

Saul wrote: View Post
For arguments sake. What Starship (not including classes that became Enterprise) have a saucer, a secondary hull, raised nacelles and was seen clearly onscreen? I can think of kitbashes but none of those were seen clearly.
Exactly. The only times there have been two starships that share the saucer/lower secondary hull/raised nacelles pattern were in the TOS movies with the Excelsior and the Enterprise (and again in TNG with the Enterprise-B and Enterprise-D) but the Excelsior class was very obviously different looking.

Either we're mistaken in thinking that there is a second ship, or that second ship is extremely similar looking to (but not quite exactly the same as) the JJ Enterprise, and the only way I can see the movie producers including a ship that is so similar is if it is another Enterprise.
phoenix96 is offline   Reply With Quote