Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 12 2013, 07:19 PM   #61
gturner
Admiral

Re: Am I part Irish or not?

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
gturner wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
I'm from the first generation in our family to be born in the US, and my parents are Indian. But I still consider myself American.
Since you're born here, you're a native American!

And an Indian.

And this is doing absolutely nothing to reduce the confusion between Indians and Indians and native Americans and native American Indians or native Americans with Indian ancestry... We all blame Columbus, who was lost as f***.
That's why I like Indian American and American Indian -- I know it's arbitrary and rather stupid, but it's the easiest way to distinguish. Or, one could do as one of my best friends, Sonia does. With her being Indian American and me being American Indian she's just come into the habit of qualifying Indian with "dots, not feathers" and vice versa.
Well, a brave's feather kind of slants, so we'd have
.Indian and /Indian

For Sikhs we could use a magnifying glass to represent a search bar (seek Indian).

The Internet will define us all.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:16 PM   #62
scotpens
Vice Admiral

. . . And this is doing absolutely nothing to reduce the confusion between Indians and Indians and native Americans and native American Indians or native Americans with Indian ancestry... We all blame Columbus, who was lost as f***.
That's why I like Indian American and American Indian -- I know it's arbitrary and rather stupid, but it's the easiest way to distinguish. Or, one could do as one of my best friends, Sonia does. With her being Indian American and me being American Indian she's just come into the habit of qualifying Indian with "dots, not feathers" and vice versa.
The "dot Indian or feather Indian" thing does help alleviate confusion, but some folks probably find it offensive. Although I wouldn't be offended by it if I happened to be Indian. Either kind, that is.

Gaith wrote: View Post
I'm always a bit amused and weirded out whenever someone says they're "proud" to be a certain nationality or ethnicity. To me, pride in something should always be linked to acheivement - you're proud of your own BA, say, or proud of your kids/loved ones and their accomplishments, or even good manners/conduct.
QFT. Or, from your mouth to God's ears, as we Jews say.

Be proud of your personal accomplishments, of what you've done to improve yourself or to improve the lives of others. But being proud of something you were basically handed at birth has never made sense to me.
Old March 12 2013, 10:25 PM   #63
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Mom's maiden name is Lawrenson, which was Scandanavianized* from Lawrence, supposedly Irish.

*Because they were in Manitoba, which is full of Scandanavians, so they wanted to fit in. But they spoke French. Odd bunch.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 04:41 AM   #64
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

I'm Irish. My family's name is Tighe (from a Mc name original) and we have Duffy, McCabe, etc. I'm like 90% Irish. My dad has a little non-Irish in him. Needless to say, we take St. Patrick's Day pretty seriously. Always a family gathering.
Old March 15 2013, 05:03 AM   #65
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I'm Irish. My family's name is Tighe (from a Mc name original) and we have Duffy, McCabe, etc. I'm like 90% Irish. My dad has a little non-Irish in him. Needless to say, we take St. Patrick's Day pretty seriously. Always a family gathering.
Are you sure you're not from Aerilon?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 05:05 AM   #66
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Haha....nooooo...but nice reference haha.

I'm all Irish!!!
Old March 15 2013, 05:17 AM   #67
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I'm all Irish!!!
Is All Along the Watchtower playing in your head? 'Cause if it is. you ain't from Aerilon or Ireland.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 05:24 AM   #68
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

I'm all Irish!!!
Is All Along the Watchtower playing in your head? 'Cause if it is. you ain't from Aerilon or Ireland.
lol
Old March 15 2013, 09:32 AM   #69
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I'm all Irish!!!
I believe you're all American.

I remember Bob Geldof's speech.
Old March 17 2013, 02:13 PM   #70
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I thought this was appropriate:

Old March 17 2013, 07:01 PM   #71
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I only scanned it briefly, but I could not find Illinois on that page. I've lived in Illinois all my life, and I can't for the life of me figure out what we call ourselves!
Illini would work too, though spell check doesn't seem to like it. But where I come from, we always just called you FIBs.

This is an interesting topic, and honestly I think more than anything else you are what you think you are. No one would find it weird if I was interested in the Revolutionary War, it created the country I live in. But I have no connection to it, my family didn't arrive for another 70 years. 19th century Irish history? I owe my existence to it. So it shouldn't be unreasonable for that to hold an importance place in my core.

I would never say I'm Irish, though. I'm American, and Irish-American (which honestly is more about the experience of Irish immigrants in America than it is about Ireland, though Ireland obviously plays some part in that).
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 01:34 AM   #72
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
. . . And this is doing absolutely nothing to reduce the confusion between Indians and Indians and native Americans and native American Indians or native Americans with Indian ancestry... We all blame Columbus, who was lost as f***.
The "dot Indian or feather Indian" thing does help alleviate confusion, but some folks probably find it offensive. Although I wouldn't be offended by it if I happened to be Indian. Either kind, that is.
Well, we use it only between ourselves really, and neither of us are offended as our respective flavor of Indian, but that's just us.

Speaking of Irish, apologies to all the Irish folk, but I hate St. Patrick's Day and I'm fucking glad it's over! I basically spent my first 15 St Patrick's Days trying to use my green eyes as an out against being pinched because I inevitably forgot to wear green, and the last 15 trying to avoid obnoxious drunken crowds, very few of whose members are likely even Irish!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 01:38 AM   #73
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Gaith wrote: View Post
scotcat wrote: View Post
My great grandfather came to Scotland from Ireland at the age of 14 in 1914. I'm proud I have Irish ancestry, but first and foremost I'm Scottish.
I'm always a bit amused and weirded out whenever someone says they're "proud" to be a certain nationality or ethnicity. To me, pride in something should always be linked to acheivement - you're proud of your own BA, say, or proud of your kids/loved ones and their accomplishments, or even good manners/conduct.

So to people who say they're "proud to be an American", I say, oh really, you've earned that? If you were born in a poor country, and studied and worked your butt off to become a doctor, and were then offered US citizenship as a result, then by all means, be "proud" to be an American. But the only thing I did to become an American was to be born, and that was really more the doctors' doing than mine. Am I happy to be an American, sure. Proud, no.
I completely agree.

Except for the part about the Doctor. I think your mom had more to do with it than anyone else.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 02:18 AM   #74
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I think people just mean that they are proud of their country and happy about being part of it. Not that they had some special achievement themselves.
Old March 18 2013, 06:34 AM   #75
propita
Rear Admiral

To me, while many things contribute to the make up of a person, while it's neat to me personally that I'm 1/4 Irish, it really didn't contribute to my personality. I'm almost 50yo and just finding out about this, so nothing there having an effect during my formative years.

This is not like my being raised Jewish, being born in the US, in CA in particular, being short, being dependent on glasses, etc, all those factors that went into making me who I am.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote