RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,602
Posts: 5,424,862
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 348
Newest member: David Ellerman

TrekToday headlines

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 12 2013, 07:19 PM   #61
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
gturner wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
I'm from the first generation in our family to be born in the US, and my parents are Indian. But I still consider myself American.
Since you're born here, you're a native American!

And an Indian.

And this is doing absolutely nothing to reduce the confusion between Indians and Indians and native Americans and native American Indians or native Americans with Indian ancestry... We all blame Columbus, who was lost as f***.
That's why I like Indian American and American Indian -- I know it's arbitrary and rather stupid, but it's the easiest way to distinguish. Or, one could do as one of my best friends, Sonia does. With her being Indian American and me being American Indian she's just come into the habit of qualifying Indian with "dots, not feathers" and vice versa.
Well, a brave's feather kind of slants, so we'd have
.Indian and /Indian

For Sikhs we could use a magnifying glass to represent a search bar (seek Indian).

The Internet will define us all.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:16 PM   #62
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
gturner wrote: View Post
. . . And this is doing absolutely nothing to reduce the confusion between Indians and Indians and native Americans and native American Indians or native Americans with Indian ancestry... We all blame Columbus, who was lost as f***.
That's why I like Indian American and American Indian -- I know it's arbitrary and rather stupid, but it's the easiest way to distinguish. Or, one could do as one of my best friends, Sonia does. With her being Indian American and me being American Indian she's just come into the habit of qualifying Indian with "dots, not feathers" and vice versa.
The "dot Indian or feather Indian" thing does help alleviate confusion, but some folks probably find it offensive. Although I wouldn't be offended by it if I happened to be Indian. Either kind, that is.

Gaith wrote: View Post
I'm always a bit amused and weirded out whenever someone says they're "proud" to be a certain nationality or ethnicity. To me, pride in something should always be linked to acheivement - you're proud of your own BA, say, or proud of your kids/loved ones and their accomplishments, or even good manners/conduct.
QFT. Or, from your mouth to God's ears, as we Jews say.

Be proud of your personal accomplishments, of what you've done to improve yourself or to improve the lives of others. But being proud of something you were basically handed at birth has never made sense to me.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:25 PM   #63
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

Mom's maiden name is Lawrenson, which was Scandanavianized* from Lawrence, supposedly Irish.

*Because they were in Manitoba, which is full of Scandanavians, so they wanted to fit in. But they spoke French. Odd bunch.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 04:41 AM   #64
Captain Kathryn
Commodore
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

I'm Irish. My family's name is Tighe (from a Mc name original) and we have Duffy, McCabe, etc. I'm like 90% Irish. My dad has a little non-Irish in him. Needless to say, we take St. Patrick's Day pretty seriously. Always a family gathering.
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 05:03 AM   #65
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I'm Irish. My family's name is Tighe (from a Mc name original) and we have Duffy, McCabe, etc. I'm like 90% Irish. My dad has a little non-Irish in him. Needless to say, we take St. Patrick's Day pretty seriously. Always a family gathering.
Are you sure you're not from Aerilon?
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 05:05 AM   #66
Captain Kathryn
Commodore
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I'm Irish. My family's name is Tighe (from a Mc name original) and we have Duffy, McCabe, etc. I'm like 90% Irish. My dad has a little non-Irish in him. Needless to say, we take St. Patrick's Day pretty seriously. Always a family gathering.
Are you sure you're not from Aerilon?
Haha....nooooo...but nice reference haha.

I'm all Irish!!!
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 05:17 AM   #67
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I'm Irish. My family's name is Tighe (from a Mc name original) and we have Duffy, McCabe, etc. I'm like 90% Irish. My dad has a little non-Irish in him. Needless to say, we take St. Patrick's Day pretty seriously. Always a family gathering.
Are you sure you're not from Aerilon?
Haha....nooooo...but nice reference haha.

I'm all Irish!!!
Is All Along the Watchtower playing in your head? 'Cause if it is. you ain't from Aerilon or Ireland.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 05:24 AM   #68
Captain Kathryn
Commodore
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Are you sure you're not from Aerilon?
Haha....nooooo...but nice reference haha.

I'm all Irish!!!
Is All Along the Watchtower playing in your head? 'Cause if it is. you ain't from Aerilon or Ireland.
lol
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 09:32 AM   #69
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post


I'm all Irish!!!
I believe you're all American.

I remember Bob Geldof's speech.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 02:13 PM   #70
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

I thought this was appropriate:

__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 07:01 PM   #71
IndyJones
Vice Admiral
 
IndyJones's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I only scanned it briefly, but I could not find Illinois on that page. I've lived in Illinois all my life, and I can't for the life of me figure out what we call ourselves!
Illini would work too, though spell check doesn't seem to like it. But where I come from, we always just called you FIBs.

This is an interesting topic, and honestly I think more than anything else you are what you think you are. No one would find it weird if I was interested in the Revolutionary War, it created the country I live in. But I have no connection to it, my family didn't arrive for another 70 years. 19th century Irish history? I owe my existence to it. So it shouldn't be unreasonable for that to hold an importance place in my core.

I would never say I'm Irish, though. I'm American, and Irish-American (which honestly is more about the experience of Irish immigrants in America than it is about Ireland, though Ireland obviously plays some part in that).
__________________
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 01:34 AM   #72
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

scotpens wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
gturner wrote: View Post
. . . And this is doing absolutely nothing to reduce the confusion between Indians and Indians and native Americans and native American Indians or native Americans with Indian ancestry... We all blame Columbus, who was lost as f***.
That's why I like Indian American and American Indian -- I know it's arbitrary and rather stupid, but it's the easiest way to distinguish. Or, one could do as one of my best friends, Sonia does. With her being Indian American and me being American Indian she's just come into the habit of qualifying Indian with "dots, not feathers" and vice versa.
The "dot Indian or feather Indian" thing does help alleviate confusion, but some folks probably find it offensive. Although I wouldn't be offended by it if I happened to be Indian. Either kind, that is.
Well, we use it only between ourselves really, and neither of us are offended as our respective flavor of Indian, but that's just us.

Speaking of Irish, apologies to all the Irish folk, but I hate St. Patrick's Day and I'm fucking glad it's over! I basically spent my first 15 St Patrick's Days trying to use my green eyes as an out against being pinched because I inevitably forgot to wear green, and the last 15 trying to avoid obnoxious drunken crowds, very few of whose members are likely even Irish!
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 01:38 AM   #73
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

Gaith wrote: View Post
scotcat wrote: View Post
My great grandfather came to Scotland from Ireland at the age of 14 in 1914. I'm proud I have Irish ancestry, but first and foremost I'm Scottish.
I'm always a bit amused and weirded out whenever someone says they're "proud" to be a certain nationality or ethnicity. To me, pride in something should always be linked to acheivement - you're proud of your own BA, say, or proud of your kids/loved ones and their accomplishments, or even good manners/conduct.

So to people who say they're "proud to be an American", I say, oh really, you've earned that? If you were born in a poor country, and studied and worked your butt off to become a doctor, and were then offered US citizenship as a result, then by all means, be "proud" to be an American. But the only thing I did to become an American was to be born, and that was really more the doctors' doing than mine. Am I happy to be an American, sure. Proud, no.
I completely agree.

Except for the part about the Doctor. I think your mom had more to do with it than anyone else.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 02:18 AM   #74
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

I think people just mean that they are proud of their country and happy about being part of it. Not that they had some special achievement themselves.
__________________
"You're not my type." --Manticore
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 06:34 AM   #75
propita
Rear Admiral
 
Location: fresno, ca, us
Re: Am I part Irish or not?

To me, while many things contribute to the make up of a person, while it's neat to me personally that I'm 1/4 Irish, it really didn't contribute to my personality. I'm almost 50yo and just finding out about this, so nothing there having an effect during my formative years.

This is not like my being raised Jewish, being born in the US, in CA in particular, being short, being dependent on glasses, etc, all those factors that went into making me who I am.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.