Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 11 2013, 04:27 PM   #76
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: Trek Trailer with OZ

King Daniel wrote: View Post
The stuff about Kirk lying about something?
I've put spoiler tags around what I can. I'm sorry if the conversation assumed certain things. Won't happen again.
Old March 11 2013, 04:39 PM   #77
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Thanks. I realize it wasn't done deliberately, and I'm know I'm asking for trouble looking in these threads so close to release as more and more detailed info comes out.
Old March 11 2013, 04:52 PM   #78
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Thanks. I realize it wasn't done deliberately, and I'm know I'm asking for trouble looking in these threads so close to release as more and more detailed info comes out.
I stared at the 38-minute preview thread for 5 minutes before I decided to go in and get the information. I remember going into Insurrection blind, knowing nothing except it was about a "fountain of youth." That was satisfying because I wasn't looking for any plot points, everything surprised me. Contrast that to hearing that Vulcan had been destroyed in the last film and I wasn't shocked at all, the suspense didn't build. Still, I couldn't help myself and I had to get the skinny. I went against everything I have experienced. Maybe I will be more disciplined during the making of the third movie.
Old March 11 2013, 05:03 PM   #79
ralph
Captain

I'm not gonna read anything else, I promise.

I'll get it.
Old March 11 2013, 06:41 PM   #80
Kpnuts
Commodore

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
For that Newton-type starship, I read NCC-07. I am not sure what that is to the left of the 7. It's possible that a number was supposed to exist between the 7 and the (X). How else to explain the strange arrangement of the registry? I am frustrated that i am not able to read the name.
Boosting the contrast, there appears to be a dark smudge in between the 7 and whatever that last digit is. It's as if there was a number there and it was either removed or has faded away for some reason.

Maybe just a dash?

NCC-07-B ?

The registry is NCC-0718

(the Kelvin was NCC-0514)
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 08:12 PM   #81
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Looking back on it, in the series, we can see Kirk was his own man out on patrol, but that was part of the Hornblower idea, wasn't it? An interpid human making his best judgement calls away from the chain of command and permission. I never got the sense - in the 79 anyway - that Kirk was young rebel troubling the grown ups. The punky rebel trope.

That's what I'm picking up now in these movie from our time. We're all ironic and psychodrama-y, so the punky rebel succeeding against the hidebound institution is "in." Okay. Not my thing, for whatever reason, but there it is.
Old March 12 2013, 08:16 PM   #82
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

But Kirk in the movie is nearly a decade younger than in the series. Surely people mature from their mid-twenties to their mid-thirties (at least in theory).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 08:25 PM   #83
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ovation wrote: View Post
But Kirk in the movie is nearly a decade younger than in the series. Surely people mature from their mid-twenties to their mid-thirties (at least in theory).
I guess my biggest problem with the Kirk character is that we're told he's a genius but never are we really shown he's a genius. He follows breadcrumbs that are laid out in the open to get to the conclusion (i.e. he's lucky). I'm hoping that with Into Darkness that we see a more fully formed character that comes up with solutions on his own. More that he's in control of events rather than being swept up in them.
Old March 12 2013, 10:08 PM   #84
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Well, I never take the genius label seriously anymore (hell, according to IQ scores, I qualify as a "genius", and I'm hardly that), so that didn't bother me much.

I think a lot of people are disappointed because a throwaway line in a pilot that was not likely meant to air (the airing of TV pilots is now pretty standard but was once unusual) is not matched by the onscreen portrayal of Kirk as a young man in his twenties. And even if the throwaway line is worth conceding, that Kirk was not the one who grew up in the alternate timeline. In broad strokes, the characters are similar, with the caveat that Pine's Kirk is a decade less mature and experienced than Shatner's Kirk was when we first met him. That gives the filmmakers a lot of leeway in how they want to portray the characters, as far as I'm concerned. YMMV
Old March 12 2013, 10:16 PM   #85
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Well, I never take the genius label seriously anymore (hell, according to IQ scores, I qualify as a "genius", and I'm hardly that), so that didn't bother me much.

I think a lot of people are disappointed because a throwaway line in a pilot that was not likely meant to air (the airing of TV pilots is now pretty standard but was once unusual) is not matched by the onscreen portrayal of Kirk as a young man in his twenties. And even if the throwaway line is worth conceding, that Kirk was not the one who grew up in the alternate timeline. In broad strokes, the characters are similar, with the caveat that Pine's Kirk is a decade less mature and experienced than Shatner's Kirk was when we first met him. That gives the filmmakers a lot of leeway in how they want to portray the characters, as far as I'm concerned. YMMV
I was actually talking about the Pike line from the new Star Trek 2009 about Kirk wanting to be the only "genius level offender".
Old March 12 2013, 11:01 PM   #86
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

BillJ wrote: View Post

I was actually talking about the Pike line from the new Star Trek 2009 about Kirk wanting to be the only "genius level offender".
I'm not altogether sure that the line was meant to be taken as Gospel Truth, any more than Mitchell's "stack of books with legs" crack was in the TOS pilot. Putting Pike's line in context:
PIKE
I looked up your file while you were
drooling on the floor. Your aptitude
tests were off the charts-- what is it,
d'you like being the only Genius Level
repeat-offender in the midwest?

KIRK
Maybe I love it.
Kirk's aptitude-test scores may well have been quite high, but the exchange sounds more than a little sarcastic.
Old March 13 2013, 12:30 AM   #87
Ovation
Vice Admiral

That's how I took that exchange.
Old March 13 2013, 02:01 AM   #88
Borgminister

Now farm animals, on the other hand...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 07:05 AM   #89
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Bad Robot not know how to design Federation starships?
Some fans: "We want something new."

Is this any different to Reliant in ST II having a roll bar. And its nacelles underneath?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 12:54 PM   #90
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

How would having two engineering hulls and navigational deflectors be a problem? No one complined when they cropped up on Federation ships in Trek videogames during the 90's. In fact, they look pretty damn cool.

I notice also that, as well as the new TOS-style bridge dome, this Newton's registry is (unlike the ones in the last movie) written in the same font as the Enterprise's.