Ingham Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Star Trek Online Celebrates Five Years
By: T'Bonz on Jan 27

WizKids/Star Trek Online Caption Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

No Quinto In Heroes Reborn
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 18 2013, 06:16 AM   #61
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Re: St Patrick's Day question

Geez, thank you for the "I'm not Mexican, so I ain't celebrating Cinco de Mayo" sentiment.

Absolutely useless.
Old March 18 2013, 06:33 AM   #62
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I am sure the food is much better at Cinco de Mayo.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 06:35 AM   #63
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

No doubt. This weekend I did eat my share of corned beef & cabbage. BTW, I'm 100% Asian but can be multicultural.

I guess I'm like Peter Griffin when he decided to become a Muslim.

Cue tonight's episode of Family Guy.
Old March 18 2013, 11:26 AM   #64
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Sorry, I tried to ignore stuff in this thread but there were too many things bugging me so I'm going to go into Kestra scolding mode for a minute.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Fair enough. But as I don't plan to visit Ireland anytime soon, I'm gonna continue ordering my car bombs from American bartenders, and they will know exactly what I mean.

My bar even stocks extra Baileys and Jameson specifically for making Car Bombs on St. Patty's Day.
And I could just be displaying my ignroance, but why should they? The only reason I know that it's offensive at all is from my friends who studied abroad in Ireland and tried to order a Black & Tan from a bar. As far as we dumb Americans were concerned, a Black & Tan was an Irish drink. I don't even remember why it's offensive.
You have people in this thread laying the history out for you and all you seem to manage is a virtual shrug. It doesn't matter if you're in Ireland or Illinois, try remembering that it's offensive and stop using it. I understand being ignorant but you act as if you take pride in that ignorance.

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Erin go Braless!!
Stay classy.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
My 3/17 was completely without Irishness or St. Patrick's Day in every way (much like my family bloodline). Didn't wear or eat anything green. I quite enjoyed it.
It's really not appropriate to come into a thread about a holiday and revel in the fact that you didn't celebrate it and are happy about that. You don't need to celebrate it or care about it, but posting like that is annoying at best.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 11:33 AM   #65
Finn
Vice Admiral

Kestra Smash!

p.s. I agree with you completely, Kestra
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 03:11 PM   #66
trampledamage
Clone

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
St. Patty's Day.
That also earns you an angry glare.
That web-site is brilliant! I'm still not used to the use of Patty for Patrick here in Canada.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 05:09 PM   #67
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Wow to the Ben and Jerrys story.. what reason did they give for being such dolts?
I've been to the factory in Vermont when I lived there if that counts for anything.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 09:50 PM   #68
teacake
Fleet Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Wow to the Ben and Jerrys story.. what reason did they give for being such dolts?
I've been to the factory in Vermont when I lived there if that counts for anything.
Your pilgrimage had been noted.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 12:07 AM   #69
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Kestra wrote: View Post
It's really not appropriate to come into a thread about a holiday and revel in the fact that you didn't celebrate it and are happy about that. You don't need to celebrate it or care about it, but posting like that is annoying at best.
I apologize if I seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just careless.

I suppose it was just an instinctive reaction to all of that green junk taking up two or three aisles in my own store....

And I must admit that I wouldn't go for German celebrations either, even though I am of that persuasion. I really have no desire for Oktoberfest, for example. Although I'd go for a parade (German OR Irish or whatever ethnic group is putting it on) if I happened to stumble across one in New York City!
Old March 19 2013, 01:14 AM   #70
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
I apologize if I seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just careless.

I suppose it was just an instinctive reaction to all of that green junk taking up two or three aisles in my own store....

And I must admit that I wouldn't go for German celebrations either, even though I am of that persuasion. I really have no desire for Oktoberfest, for example. Although I'd go for a parade (German OR Irish or whatever ethnic group is putting it on) if I happened to stumble across one in New York City!
No one here is forcing you to celebrate St. Patrick's or Kwanzaa or Oktoberfest. If a thread on a holiday or occasion doesn't affect you personally, then don't post. It's as simple as that. You don't have to go out of your way to tell the whole world you don't celebrate it, which contributes nothing to the heart of the discussion.