Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 12 2013, 06:13 PM   #1
farmkid
Commodore

Anyone paying attention to the new pope thing?

Based on the coverage in the news media, you might get the impression that the choice of a new pope is a big deal that affects everyone and everyone cares about it. It's the lead story on many, if not most, of the news agency websites. But, why? It seems to me that it only affects Catholics, and even for them, it won't make any difference in the lives of most.

So why does the news media think we care? Am I missing something here, or does this really just deserve a brief mention in the religion/faith section? Or maybe the news media is interested in it for some other reason, not necessarily because they think we care.
Old March 12 2013, 06:21 PM   #2
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Anyone paying attention to the new pope thing?

Well, the idea that the pope affects only Catholics is a bit naive -- the church is a massive lobby in many nations, and unfortunately, what happens with them affects us all.

Despite this, my interest in all this nonsense extends about as far as getting a hearty laugh at Tim Minchin's show in NYC last weekend when he took the credit for the pope retiring before playing this:

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Avon
Fleet Captain

its like the oscars. it doesnt affect anyone outside the specific field but its treated as a big deal by everyone else.

but with elderly men wearing dresses.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I believe Catholics make up a sixth of the planetary population (something like that, anyway); anything which is important to that number of people is going to be important for everyone. Not on the personal level, but in terms of the knock-on effects and the prominence/influence of the catholic leadership. A major political institution is seeing a change in power; that's always going to be big news.
Old March 12 2013, 07:03 PM   #5
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Exactly, however indirectly, this does affect us all.

Old March 12 2013, 07:06 PM   #6
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Well, the idea that the pope affects only Catholics is a bit naive -- the church is a massive lobby in many nations, and unfortunately, what happens with them affects us all.

Despite this, my interest in all this nonsense extends about as far as getting a hearty laugh at Tim Minchin's show in NYC last weekend when he took the credit for the pope retiring before playing this:

I ♥ Tim Minchin.

HBO On Demand had one of his full performances (Tim Minchin and the Heritage Orchestra), and it was awesome. He needs to come to Cincinnati. I'd make the trip down just to see him, and if I managed to arrive in the correct city (let alone the correct building), I think it would just be a fantastic experience.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 07:20 PM   #7
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post

I ♥ Tim Minchin.

HBO On Demand had one of his full performances (Tim Minchin and the Heritage Orchestra), and it was awesome. He needs to come to Cincinnati. I'd make the trip down just to see him, and if I managed to arrive in the correct city (let alone the correct building), I think it would just be a fantastic experience.
Oh man, J, at the risk of making you horribly jealous, did you see my pictures of his show last weekend? It was amazing -- tiny venue, got to meet him (and he was lovely), and this is where I was seated:

Plus, since he was here to promote Matilda, he played a song from it as the encore and some of the cast were in the audience and sang along. It was just a freaking awesome show!

[/QUOTE]

Old March 12 2013, 07:23 PM   #8
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Ooh! I AM jealous!
Old March 12 2013, 07:57 PM   #9
bbailey861
Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
its like the oscars. it doesnt affect anyone outside the specific field but its treated as a big deal by everyone else.

but with elderly men wearing dresses.
I wonder if bets are being taken on the outcome.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

I would take notice if, when the white smokes appears, it forms into a big genie, who grants everybody in the world three wishes.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 08:19 PM   #11
Scout101
Admiral

Can argue influence, but it's a worthy news story if only because it's not something that happens that often. Electing an older, 'tread water' Pope last time around meant it came faster than usual (plus quitting instead of dying in office), but on average, it should be closer to what? Like every 15-20 years, on average?

That alone makes it worth the news coverage, even if the US isn't overly Catholic. Plus, easy to add the drama with the candidates, backroom deals, constant games of "will they, won't they" with the colors of smoke, etc. Not hard to hype up.

Only reason I'm really looking at it is that there's a Cardinal from Boston in the mix, so it's slightly more of a local story. Plus, in general, it's interesting even though it doesn't affect me.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:31 PM   #12
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

I'm really crossing my fingers for this guy:

He could take the church in a whole new, wonderful direction.
Old March 12 2013, 10:46 PM   #13
SwimmingGnu
Lieutenant

I only pay attention because I want to see in which direction the catholic church are heading.
SwimmingGnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:52 PM   #14
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

SwimmingGnu wrote: View Post
I only pay attention because I want to see in which direction the catholic church are heading.
I'd like to see them become more progressive, maybe enter the late 20th century if nothing else. I'm not saying get rid of what they hold dear, but stopping with the foolhardy positions against women, and against gay people, would be a good start.
Old March 12 2013, 11:01 PM   #15
SwimmingGnu
Lieutenant

^ Agreed!
SwimmingGnu is offline   Reply With Quote