TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 10 2013, 05:52 AM   #31
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Captain Solok

Vulcans can't amuse themselves? Then why do they have games and music?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 05:32 PM   #32
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Vulcans can't amuse themselves? Then why do they have games and music?
Vulcans have emotions; they're just supposed to refrain from showing and acting on them.. That seems to be the curiosity with Solok (at least mine anyway). He very obviously acts on his emotions. He derives some sort of amusement, pleasure, whatever from rubbing his superiority in Sisko's face. In fact, he goes out of way to do it as evidenced by the baseball game challenge. I mean, he had to convince the other Vulcans in joining him in that "illogical human bonding ritual."
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 07:24 PM   #33
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Solok and Sisko are certainly not friends, but I can't see either of them shirking their duty just to satisfy a personal vendetta. If Solok really hated all humans, he could've joined the Vulcan intelligence agency that was mentioned in that TNG, rather than join an interspecies agency with a large percentage of humans like Starfleet.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 07:53 PM   #34
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
If Solok really hated all humans, he could've joined the Vulcan intelligence agency that was mentioned in that TNG, rather than join an interspecies agency with a large percentage of humans like Starfleet.
But remember, Solok's ship has an all-Vulcan crew. Perhaps he asked for that. It could help him stay away from humans for as long as he could get away with.
Old March 10 2013, 08:08 PM   #35
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
With the case of Solok, it's merely a case of renewing a rivalry with an old friend
I never once got the impression that Solok and Sisko were actually supposed to be friends. They certainly didn't act like they were.
They were friends in the figurative sense of having known each other since they were cadets. "An old acquaintance" could also be used instead.
Sadara wrote: View Post
I'd imagine Solok does it for his own amusement.
Which he is not supposed to have.
I don't see why not. Vulcans may not break out in side-splitting laughter, but I imagine there are many things that Vulcans find quietly amusing--such as Humans.

Last edited by C.E. Evans; March 10 2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: couldn't spell "figurative"
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 12:09 AM   #36
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But I thought the entire idea of Vulcans was that they TRY to be logical and unemotional, but clearly have and are capable of emotions just like any other species, but continually suppress them, which is why they often come out in distorted and sometimes dangerous forms (like the Vulcan sniper), and that's why things like the kolinhar exist at all.
Old March 11 2013, 03:21 AM   #37
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong...

But I thought the entire idea of Vulcans was that they TRY to be logical and unemotional, but clearly have and are capable of emotions just like any other species, but continually suppress them, which is why they often come out in distorted and sometimes dangerous forms (like the Vulcan sniper), and that's why things like the kolinhar exist at all.
I have to admit the end of Field of Fire baffled me. I don't doubt there are Vulcans who go off the deep end and commit crimes, but I'm not sure how murdering people for having photos depicting happiness in their quarters is somehow dictated by logic.
Old March 11 2013, 03:25 AM   #38
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ Chu'lak was nuts. Isn't that enough?
Old March 11 2013, 03:14 PM   #39
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

Not really. I would have found it more interesting to hear more than just "logic demanded it."
Old March 11 2013, 04:02 PM   #40
The Librarian
Commodore

Not really. I would have found it more interesting to hear more than just "logic demanded it."
Other people being happy reminds Chulak of being happy with his friends, which makes him sad. Therefore it is logical to remove the sources of his unhappiness.
The Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 04:31 PM   #41
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

The Librarian wrote: View Post
Other people being happy reminds Chulak of being happy with his friends, which makes him sad. Therefore it is logical to remove the sources of his unhappiness.
Which is an unattainable goal as he's never going to get rid of all the happy people. What he's pursuing is illogical because it cannot be achieved. There were less violent ways of dealing with his issue, like Kohlinahr where no one smiles or even thinks happy thoughts.
Old March 11 2013, 04:35 PM   #42
Pavonis
Commodore

It was said way back in "Journey to Babel" that a Vulcan could find a logical reason to kill, so Chu'lak found his logical motive. Of course, his faculties were compromised anyway, and would've found any reason to be "logical", even something like wearing the left sock on the right foot would've been a logical reason to kill a person in his view. The guy had cracked.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 11:38 PM   #43
James T. Vader
Lieutenant

I personally think modern day Trek writers hate Vulcans. From making Sarek go mad, to Spock crying to the brief appearance of Dr. Selar: NIght Doctor, to Racist Solok to Smile Hating Chulok to the Imperialistic Racist Vulcans of the 22nd century, maybe a Vulcan stole one of the writer's jobs at the lurpa factory or something.
James T. Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 11:54 PM   #44
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

James T. Vader wrote: View Post
I personally think modern day Trek writers hate Vulcans. From making Sarek go mad, to Spock crying to the brief appearance of Dr. Selar: NIght Doctor, to Racist Solok to Smile Hating Chulok to the Imperialistic Racist Vulcans of the 22nd century, maybe a Vulcan stole one of the writer's jobs at the lurpa factory or something.
I never thought of it that way, but you may be on to something. Not too many normal Vulcans after TOS. I'd also like to add that poor Vorik got rejected in Pon Farr like Spock. You'd think they could have done something different with him and maybe have a happy ending. Oh well.
Old March 12 2013, 12:01 AM   #45
James T. Vader
Lieutenant

James T. Vader wrote: View Post
I never thought of it that way, but you may be on to something. Not too many normal Vulcans after TOS. I'd also like to add that poor Vorik got rejected in Pon Farr like Spock. You'd think they could have done something different with him and maybe have a happy ending. Oh well.
Happy Ending, pon farr tee hee
James T. Vader is offline   Reply With Quote