Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 9 2013, 02:00 AM   #1
WesleysDisciple
Lieutenant Commander

Thoughts on "Valiant"?

Curious anything thats not been said.

We all know that The "Captain" Is a wacko.

Any other observations.

I think that Nog got tossed the idiot ball, and holds it till the last 5 minutes, when shoves it at the dieing girl who holds it till the end of the episode.

Last edited by WesleysDisciple; March 9 2013 at 07:06 PM.
WesleysDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 02:44 AM   #2
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Thoughts on "Valiant"?

Nog was not tossed the "idiot ball"; he'd always wanted to join Red Squad. He finally got to see the Red Squad cult up close, though, and finally learned a lesson - that they were overconfident and reckless. Chief Collins was involved with the cult longer than Nog, though, so would naturally be more reluctant to change her view of it. She likely spent a good deal of time in therapy to remove her brainwashing, or at least, exchange it for a different brainwashing.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 02:53 AM   #3
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

WesleysDisciple wrote: View Post
Close to 15 years after the episode aired? Probably not.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Jake bothers me in the episode. He drops his dad's name thinking that gives him the final word in Starfleet tactical combat, whilst also having an opportunity to observe and report back on a crew who have lasted for months alone behind enemy lines, he goes in a huff and starts trying to undermine the Captain.

Nog is guilty of heroworship of the Red Squad, but he comes to his senses (admittedly a little late), but he is barely an ensign with his head still swimming with what he was taught at the Academy, so he would follow the chain of command.

As for the cadets themselves, I quite like them. Watters clearly has potential, though in need of a lot more experience, he does seem like an alright kinda guy. Farris is Shelby's mini-me, but does show a softer side in dealing with Watters. Shepard doesn't have much development but definately comes across as the cocky one on the crew. As for Dorian Collins, I really like her, its a shame they never had her return (possibly as a small recurring role on DS9 in S7, maybe a romantic angle for Nog). We did see Vulcans and Trill in the crew, shame there were no aliens with speaking parts though.
Old March 9 2013, 02:14 PM   #5
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Its just slightly more plausible than Star Trek 2009. I don't really understand why Nog immediately defers to the cadets, given that he is an ensign by this stage in the series. The episode had neat special effects though.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Watters was technically a Captain, given the battlefield commission by his predecessor. Though he may wear a cadets uniform the rank would hold.

In the beginning, Nog does appear a little uncertain about the structure, but after being (essentially) bribed he takes his place.
Old March 9 2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

DS9forever wrote: View Post
I don't really understand why Nog immediately defers to the cadets, given that he is an ensign
IIRC, Nog's commission was no more "real" than those cadets were. He was given a field promotion, just like they were. Indeed, it could be argued that the cadets - since they had completed some Academy training and Nog hadn't yet - were more entitled to command than he was.

Or, conversely, Nog could have just thought that he didn't dare pull rank on them because he was outnumbered. There were dozens of cadets, but only one of him. If he doesn't do what they say, they'll throw him in the brig regardless of how legit his rank was.

As for the episode in general: Agreed that Red Squad were arrogant and reckless and full of themselves, but I'm sure the Klingons would have loved it - the Valiant crew died in battle against a superior enemy. That's the way all Klingons want to go. They probably sang songs about that crew.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Photon
Commodore

WesleysDisciple wrote: View Post

We all know that The "Captain" Is a wacko.

Any other observations.

I think that Nog got tossed the idiot ball, and holds it till the last 5 minutes, when shoves it at the dieing girl who holds it till the ned of hte peiosde.
Sumbutee els gut toszed the edeeuht ball, spuhlling-lee chllenged
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 07:06 PM   #9
WesleysDisciple
Lieutenant Commander

HEre what really vexed me on the Crew.

they COMPLETED the assigned mission... they could have gone home, and been safe and been thanked for bringing the intel, instead they decided, to go for Glory and power...

Even the VULCANS seemed smug.
WesleysDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 12:56 AM   #10
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Wait, Nog has a battlefield commission? I thought he just had an abbreviated time at the Academy due to the demands of the war.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 02:48 AM   #11
Pavonis
Commodore

I'm certain that Nog's commission was issued formally from the Command and/or the Academy. It was a sign of how bad things were going!
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 03:55 AM   #12
Marcus Porcius Cato
Commander

I've often felt that when watched in serial with other TNG and DS9 academy episodes, which really culminates with this one, we see the less attractive side of the Starfleet. The arrogance and the fanaticism which would be seasoned out in assignments in Starships,etc are still evident in Valiant crew. Too bad they were cut off from the leavening influence of officers and developed their sense of elitism.

These guys were spoiled goods even if they came back in one piece.

Mencius, Chinese Philosopher (c. 372-289 BCE)
Marcus Porcius Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 04:25 AM   #13
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Jake bothers me in the episode. He drops his dad's name thinking that gives him the final word in Starfleet tactical combat, whilst also having an opportunity to observe and report back on a crew who have lasted for months alone behind enemy lines, he goes in a huff and starts trying to undermine the Captain.
Watters was horribly misguided, fool of himself, and a tyrant. Seriously, homesickness isn't allowed? Jake was the only sane one of the bunch. I was surprised and disappointed that he didn't try to get a message out to his dad or Starfleet letting them know these numbskulls were still alive and doing their own thing.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 09:34 AM   #14
CrazyMatt
Commander

Excellent episode, well written (of course) by Ron Moore, and a shockingly and appropriately disturbing ending... kids way over their heads eventually losing them. My only quibble is how hokey is it that only one escape pod survives and it just happens to have Jake and Nog in it? Still, one of my favs of the series.
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 09:35 AM   #15
CrazyMatt
Commander

Also, great finally seeing another Defiant class starship in action.
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote