USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Hemsworth To Host SNL

Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old July 31 2013, 05:29 AM   #1
crookeddy
Fleet Captain

Raiders vs Crystal Skull

So why is Raiders of the Lost Arc an amazing movie, while Crystal Skull is a terrible movie? Lets talk about the problems:

1) Indy survived a nuclear blast in a fridge in Skull, while Indy survives taking a ride outside of a submarine in Raiders.
2) The endings are stupid in both - God's wrath vs aliens.
3) The final outcome in Raiders would have basically been the same had Indy not been involved. Similar plot issue in Skulls.

I am getting at a similar thing here that I did with the Lucas thread. I feel that had Raiders come out now, it would be panned as silly and would not have the status that it currently has in the movie community.
crookeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: Raiders vs Crystal Skull

No.
Old July 31 2013, 09:55 AM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

The best Indy films are Raiders and Crusade, they are both fun little movies. That's not to say the other two don't have their moments but not as many as the Raiders and Crusade.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Crystal Skull is much more fun than Temple Of Doom, but yes, Raiders and Crusade are the best. Both have their improbable/supernatural elements.
Old July 31 2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

crookeddy wrote: View Post
1) Indy survived a nuclear blast in a fridge in Skull, while Indy survives taking a ride outside of a submarine in Raiders.
WWII era submarines were more like submersible ships than true submarines. They spent most of their time travelling on the surface, only diving when they were under a threat or were preparing to attack during the daytime. Most night attacks were conducted from the surface.

The most incredible aspect in the sub scene was that there weren't any lookouts on the bridge Lookouts would have discovered a stowaway pretty quickly. Submarines maintain a 24 hour watch when they are underway so they can detect possible threats and normal maritime traffic.
-Sir William Bragg
Retu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Geez, where do I start?
You know what, can't be bothered.
Raiders = One of the best movies ever.
Skull = hugely disappointing.
By the way, God's wrath? So much more terrifying than aliens!!
Old July 31 2013, 04:14 PM   #7
davejames
Vice Admiral

Sagart wrote: View Post
Geez, where do I start?
You know what, can't be bothered.
Raiders = One of the best movies ever.
Skull = hugely disappointing.
By the way, God's wrath? So much more terrifying than aliens!!
Um, yeah.... this.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Raiders was awesome.
Temple O' Doom was great.
Crusade was lazy drek.
Crystal Skull was more awesome than anybody will give it credit for. Run it down all you like.

-Admiral James Greer
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Gojira
Commodore

Shurik wrote: View Post
Crystal Skull is much more fun than Temple Of Doom, but yes, Raiders and Crusade are the best. Both have their improbable/supernatural elements.
I agree with this. I catually like Crystal Skull and the 1st and 3rd being the best.
Old July 31 2013, 04:57 PM   #10
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

crookeddy wrote: View Post
So why is Raiders of the Lost Arc an amazing movie, while Crystal Skull is a terrible movie? Lets talk about the problems:

2) The endings are stupid in both - God's wrath vs aliens.
3) The final outcome in Raiders would have basically been the same had Indy not been involved. Similar plot issue in Skulls.

I am getting at a similar thing here that I did with the Lucas thread. I feel that had Raiders come out now, it would be panned as silly and would not have the status that it currently has in the movie community.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 05:01 PM   #11
crookeddy
Fleet Captain

I think people are slightly misunderstanding my opinion here. While I find both movies entertaining, Raiders is clearly the better movie. The thing is, I believe that had Raiders come out in the 21st century, people would be too busy finding plot holes to actually enjoy the movie. Similarly, had Crystal Skull come out in the 80s, and used the more practical effects of the time, it would be considered a great movie as well.
crookeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 05:07 PM   #12
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Crystal Skull suffers from that knee jerk reaction of the internet, the internet hates it. I rarely find such a visceral reaction to it by non-entrenched movie people. That's not to say I find it perfect but I do enjoy it.

Raiders and it's submarine ride has been given possible explanations(that I don't recall right now) but one thing people overlook is that Indy is essentially Agnostic.
To him the Wrath of God and Aliens are equally the same. Only the audience separates it out as plausible(God) vs unplausible(Aliens).

I'd rank it:
Raiders
Crusade
Skull
Doom

I don't dislike any of the 4 and Doom has grown on me over the years.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

crystal skull was an exercise in showing you just can't pull some franchises into the 21st century. if it was made back in the day, then it -might- have worked. but it did nothing but show that indiana jones was a product of its time and was a disappointing movie overall. i mean does anyone really want to see their childhood movie hero being old and getting upstaged by that kid from transformers? i didn't.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Gojira
Commodore

Phily B wrote: View Post
crystal skull was an exercise in showing you just can't pull some franchises into the 21st century. if it was made back in the day, then it -might- have worked. but it did nothing but show that indiana jones was a product of its time and was a disappointing movie overall. i mean does anyone really want to see their childhood movie hero being old and getting upstaged by that kid from transformers? i didn't.

I saw it differently. Despite his age Indy showed he's still got it! I think they had fun with his age.

I love anything to do with aliens and I really liked that aspect of the movie. I thought it was a heck of a lot of fun. Not as enjoyable for me as Raiders and Crusades was but it is a movie that I think doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets.
Old July 31 2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Did you really think Indiana was upstaged by Mutt?

He's shown a few times to be brash and too quick to action by Indy.
When Mutt tries to get a tough and "brings a gun to a knife fight", Indy quickly organizes away out "hit that kid".
When they are in the graveyard and Mutt's like "that's a dead end", to which Indy discovers it's not "this way genius".

If anything I felt the movie showed that Indiana while moving through the decades since we last saw him had handled things well. Working for the war effort, being a decorated hero and when thrust back into things with the Skull situation was easily able to get back into that saddle.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote