Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 9 2013, 03:38 AM   #16
Mojochi
Commodore

Re: The jello in Allegiance

Still kind of a freaky & potentially sinister though
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:17 AM   #17
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Tosk wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Personally, I always assumed that the gelatin discs in "Allegiance" were made from the collagen from the bodies of the previous inhabitants of the prison cell! Brings a whole new darker spin to the episode, huh? What would've happened to them if Picard hadn't discovered that the Starfleet cadet was an imposter and the aliens ended the experiment?
That would be a bit at odds with their later statements though.

"We were merely curious. We meant no harm."
"We did not, after all, injure you in any way."
Granted. But that's what they said when they were trapped by Picard. They were freaking out and wanted to be set free... they would've said anything! Should we simply assume that those statements were 100% truthful, considering their deceptive behavior on display throughout the episode? As Picard says just after that, "[Unlawful] Imprisonment is an immoral assault, regardless how you choose to justify it." Or words to that effect. What else were they capable of?

Now to be fair, the teleplay makes absolutely no hint of this kind of sinister origin for the food at all. This is all it says:

Picard stops at the feeder, pulls out a "hockey puck"
-- it's a dark, translucent disk of solid but malleable
material, sort of a gigantic gumdrop. Not very
appealing. Picard pulls off a small hunk, examines it.

So, it's really just bs fanwank on my part.
Old March 9 2013, 05:39 AM   #18
Tiberius
Commodore

Mojochi wrote: View Post
My only issue is that I don't remember there being any water. That would be the 1st necessity
My only issue is that the Mizarian went for several days in that cell without any toilet facilities. Where did he go?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 07:13 AM   #19
Pavonis
Commodore

Do Mizarians excrete daily?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 08:01 AM   #20
Dream
Admiral

Did "Allegiance" remind anyone else of that episode of Twilight Zone with a group of people trapped in a giant box?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 11:49 AM   #21
M
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Did "Allegiance" remind anyone else of that episode of Twilight Zone with a group of people trapped in a giant box?
I'm sure you mean "Five Characters in Search of an Exit". One of my favorite episodes, and yes, "Allegiance" is somewhat similar of that one. They aren't really trapped in a box, though.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:40 PM   #22
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Not many people know this (though probably many here I'd bet), but gelatin is made from collagen, which comes from animal bones and skin. Looking it up on Google/Wikipedia, it's derived from pork skins, pork, horses, and cattle bones, or split cattle hides. Its composition is 84%-90% protein, 1%-2% mineral salts and 8%-15% water. Gelatin contains no fat and has about 95 calories per ounce. An ounce of gelatin satisfies about 2% of your daily needs for iron and calcium. By itself, it's essentially odorless and tasteless.

Personally, I always assumed that the gelatin discs in "Allegiance" were made from the collagen from the bodies of the previous inhabitants of the prison cell! Brings a whole new darker spin to the episode, huh? What would've happened to them if Picard hadn't discovered that the Starfleet cadet was an imposter and the aliens ended the experiment?
As a vegetarian, I'm always reading the ingredients and decline anything having gelatin. I'm always surprised when others are ignorant of the origins of it.

Fortunately, I'm now able to enjoy some things that used to contain gelatin. I think Skittles are one delicacy that used to contain it, but now use a fruit gel instead. I don't know if the change is due to vegetarians' complaints, or a more prosaic economic or supply factor.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:57 PM   #23
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

POISON!!!!

Just had to say it. Basically the only line i remember from the episode anyway. :-)

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 06:45 PM   #24
Mojochi
Commodore

I wonder how they'd know how many days they'd been in there. The Mizarian seemed pretty certain he'd been in there 12 days
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 10:07 PM   #25
Pavonis
Commodore

Perhaps Mizarians, or at least the one trapped with Picard et al., are good at keeping track of time internally.

Or, the Mizarian had experienced twelve sleep cycles, and was approximating them as days. Who knows how long a Mizarian day is? Or what the circadian rhythm of a Mizarian is?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 11:43 AM   #26
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
I'd just like to go on the record and say I love how this is its own topic.
Me too. I hadn't thought about that episode in ages, and now I'm actually curious as to what was used to make the stuff.

Not many people know this (though probably many here I'd bet), but gelatin is made from collagen, which comes from animal bones and skin. Looking it up on Google/Wikipedia, it's derived from pork skins, pork, horses, and cattle bones, or split cattle hides. Its composition is 84%-90% protein, 1%-2% mineral salts and 8%-15% water. Gelatin contains no fat and has about 95 calories per ounce. An ounce of gelatin satisfies about 2% of your daily needs for iron and calcium. By itself, it's essentially odorless and tasteless.

swaaye wrote: View Post
For that matter, those slices were pinkish red too. Gelled puree of prisoner.
J..E..L..L...OH MY GOD!
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 11:09 PM   #27
Mott the barber
Commodore

While we're talking about food/drink, anyone else ever get annoyed that it's painfully obvious that the actors take a drink in 10-forward but don't actually drink anything? I know it's on purpose but most of the time the drink is at the same height in the glass as it was before the "sip!"
Old March 15 2013, 02:38 AM   #28
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Personally, I always assumed that the gelatin discs in "Allegiance" were made from the collagen from the bodies of the previous inhabitants of the prison cell!
Soylent Jell-O is PEOPLE!!!
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 03:27 AM   #29
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I would assume it's some nutrient-rich tasteless compound.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote