RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,359
Posts: 5,503,294
Members: 25,122
Currently online: 605
Newest member: Carach

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 9 2013, 02:21 PM   #91
LtChange
Commander
 
Location: Aboard the Destiny
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
LtChange wrote: View Post
There is only one thing I don't like

Except:


So, really, other than all that, it's exactly the same because it's a chase scene involving some humorous dialogue, which has never been done before except in Star Wars and Star Trek.
We ain't talking about the same scene. I'm talking about this one:

LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 02:23 PM   #92
mos6507
Captain
 
mos6507's Avatar
 
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
That's funny, because my experience with Trek fans in general is that they don't have a deep understanding of what makes a successful motion picture.
My experience on Trek BBSs is that the JJ fans tend to be the most juvenile.
__________________
Fem Trekz on Facebook
mos6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 02:28 PM   #93
ralph
Captain
 
ralph's Avatar
 
Location: Brazil
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

throwback wrote: View Post
How much connective tissue will there be between action set pieces? What I have read lately, this film seems like many other action films of late - set pieces punctuated by the briefest of narrative exposition. In this summary, we leap from a father being told how to save his daughter to him being a terrorist. I would hope that the film fleshes out this summary, though I am doubtful. My experience with JJ Abrams films is that he doesn't have a deep understanding of human psychology.
"Is there anything you would not do for your family?"
That's the question
__________________
Ralph Pinheiro
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 02:48 PM   #94
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

ralph wrote: View Post
IGN revels

__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 03:16 PM   #95
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

Producer Bryan Burk introduced the first 30 minutes of the movie, followed by two additional scenes.
also in a London screening
http://www.slashfilm.com/early-buzz-...s/#more-165343

What we are interested in is what some of the biggest UK publications – The Guardian, SFX, Total Film and Bleeding Cool for example — thought of the footage.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...ss-new-footage

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2013...tage-reaction/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/...-super-teaser/

And if you really want spoilers, TrekMovie goes balls to the wall.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:10 PM   #96
serenitytrek1
Commander
 
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
That's funny, because my experience with Trek fans in general is that they don't have a deep understanding of what makes a successful motion picture.
My experience on Trek BBSs is that the JJ fans tend to be the most juvenile.
Do you think that JJ fans are becoming like Christopfer Nolan fans?

The Nolanites?

The Nolanties are so juvenile that they send out death threats to anyone that criticises a Nolan film.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:31 PM   #97
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

yousirname wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
In this summary, we leap from a father being told how to save his daughter to him being a terrorist. I would hope that the film fleshes out this summary, though I am doubtful. My experience with JJ Abrams films is that he doesn't have a deep understanding of human psychology.
I really can't think of many things I'd less like to see in this movie than a five-minute sequence showing the gradual conversion of some random guy into a minor henchman who dies shortly after.

So it seems to me Abrams understands human psychology just fine. It's all in how you look at it.
Same here. Some parts of a story can be left to the imagination of the movie-goer. Clarke was an obviously desparte person who made a deal with the devil. If he doesn't follow through, the consequences are certainly terrible for his entire family. That's explanation enough for me.

Though, you still gotta wonder why that's the only method Harrison could apparently use to achieve his purpose.
Perhaps within story, getting Clarke to do it is supposed to display the extremely persuasive powers Harrison is said to have.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:36 PM   #98
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
That's funny, because my experience with Trek fans in general is that they don't have a deep understanding of what makes a successful motion picture.
My experience on Trek BBSs is that the JJ fans tend to be the most juvenile.
Do you think that JJ fans are becoming like Christopfer Nolan fans?

The Nolanites?

The Nolanties are so juvenile that they send out death threats to anyone that criticises a Nolan film.
Trekkies beat them to the punch. They issued death threats back in the early 80s when there were rumors Spock was dying in STII.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan

Last edited by RAMA; March 9 2013 at 07:28 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:44 PM   #99
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Producer Bryan Burk introduced the first 30 minutes of the movie, followed by two additional scenes.
also in a London screening
http://www.slashfilm.com/early-buzz-...s/#more-165343

What we are interested in is what some of the biggest UK publications – The Guardian, SFX, Total Film and Bleeding Cool for example — thought of the footage.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...ss-new-footage

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2013...tage-reaction/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/...-super-teaser/

And if you really want spoilers, TrekMovie goes balls to the wall.
The superlatives are flying faster than ST09...

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:51 PM   #100
yousirname
Commander
 
yousirname's Avatar
 
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

Franklin wrote: View Post
Perhaps within story, getting Clarke to do it is supposed to display the extremely persuasive powers Harrison is said to have.
That's my take on it, too - showcasing his Khan-like charisma.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 05:54 PM   #101
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

yousirname wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Perhaps within story, getting Clarke to do it is supposed to display the extremely persuasive powers Harrison is said to have.
That's my take on it, too - showcasing his Khan-like charisma.
What other kind of charisma would Khan have?
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 06:17 PM   #102
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
That's funny, because my experience with Trek fans in general is that they don't have a deep understanding of what makes a successful motion picture.
My experience on Trek BBSs is that the JJ fans tend to be the most juvenile.
Fascinating. My experience here is that most criticism of these movies is self impressed, pretentious and vapid.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 06:19 PM   #103
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
That's funny, because my experience with Trek fans in general is that they don't have a deep understanding of what makes a successful motion picture.
My experience on Trek BBSs is that the JJ fans tend to be the most juvenile.
Warning for trolling. Comments to PM.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
That's funny, because my experience with Trek fans in general is that they don't have a deep understanding of what makes a successful motion picture.
My experience on Trek BBSs is that the JJ fans tend to be the most juvenile.
Do you think that JJ fans are becoming like Christopfer Nolan fans?

The Nolanites?

The Nolanties are so juvenile that they send out death threats to anyone that criticises a Nolan film.
Warning for trolling in reply, when you ought to have known better and remained silent. Comments to PM.
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 06:39 PM   #104
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

ralph wrote: View Post
It is curious, some american fans are complaining of Brazilians showing spoilers, but other sites like IGN revealed more things and nobody complained about it. There were exclusive photos of Zach and Cumberbath fighting and nobody complained about it. Does only brazilian is wrong?
But life goes on.
I wouldn't be so certain that it's only American fans complaining, but it does seem to be a fact of fandom that—no matter how a thing is done (or not done)—someone will complain about it. That just is, and neither you nor Brazilians as a group should take any of it personally. Besides, the complainers will surely have someone else to find fault with tomorrow.
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 07:46 PM   #105
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
ralph wrote: View Post
It is curious, some american fans are complaining of Brazilians showing spoilers, but other sites like IGN revealed more things and nobody complained about it. There were exclusive photos of Zach and Cumberbath fighting and nobody complained about it. Does only brazilian is wrong?
But life goes on.
I wouldn't be so certain that it's only American fans complaining, but it does seem to be a fact of fandom that—no matter how a thing is done (or not done)—someone will complain about it. That just is, and neither you nor Brazilians as a group should take any of it personally. Besides, the complainers will surely have someone else to find fault with tomorrow.

Sadly, Trek fans in particular like to dwell on the negative about their own favorite shows. Even if you post something positive, someone will immediately post something negative about it. There is no inclination for positive people to support anyone's position on subjects. That's life.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.