Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 5 2013, 02:58 AM   #31
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Transformers Movies, why are they popular?

Human actors are much cheaper to film than CGI robots with 10,000 moving pieces

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 06:06 AM   #32
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
And in some ways, it is replicated. There are ton of action movies every summer that do quite well.
True, but most of them are not as aggressively dumb as the Transformers movies.
Old March 5 2013, 08:26 AM   #33
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Why do you think the Transformers movies are popular? In my opinion, Transformers Revenge of the Fallen was one of the worst movies I ever saw, it was racist, sexist and profoundly stupid. Also it was 2 and half hours long and not coherent at all.
Jeez. You're talking about a movie series based on a cartoon series based on a bunch of silly Japanese toys meant to make money. Why anyone takes these things seriously is beyond me.
Same goes for He-Man, Power Rangers, Shogun Warriors, pokeyman...
Old March 5 2013, 11:42 AM   #34
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post

While your observations are not incorrect, for me it was a hoot to see all my favorite childhood toys come to life.

I did feel bad for whoever else in the theater wasn't a rabid fan of Transformers as a kid. I went with my little cousin, uncle and wife. Afterwards my uncle turned to me and said, "I have no idea what the hell was happening for the past 2.5 hours."
Did you not find it disappointing as a rabid childhood fan? I was too, but the movie was so far removed from the tone and look of the original, it didn't feel like Transformers to me.
Old March 5 2013, 12:18 PM   #35
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Jeez. You're talking about a movie series based on a cartoon series based on a bunch of silly Japanese toys meant to make money. Why anyone takes these things seriously is beyond me.
What should we be taking seriously?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 01:10 PM   #36
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

DC Comics, of course! They're not sellouts!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 02:32 PM   #37
Blamo
Fleet Captain

The movies worked for three reasons:-
1. Known brand name.
2. Nostalgia
3. A lot of people are just entertained by lots of motion and explosions on a screen.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 03:41 PM   #38
starburst
Fleet Captain

Its like why either of the Expendables movies or the Transporter films after the Transporter are popular...simple story and lots of things going boom.

Personally I think they arent bad movies, not great but at least for me enjoyable to watch again.

The problems with them were centering each one around Sam and his love problems, after the first one it just got old!

Hopefully their will be none of that in the 4th and instead more Autobots vs Decepticons, the only humans involved should be NEST to provide distraction / collateral damage while the robots in disguise are fighting it out.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 06:29 PM   #39
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

It's sad, because there are some incredibly cool scenes in 2 & 3. Jetfire and the moon landing scenes were intense, but I rarely remember any other parts of the movies.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 09:57 PM   #40
The Black Stig
Rear Admiral

Because Peter Cullen is the voice of my childhood. Hearing him do Optimus again, twenty years later, was a powerful burst of nostalgia that did impressive work in covering for the otherwise inept moments of the three films.

All we know is that he's not The Stig, he's The Stig's drowned predecessor.
The Black Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 10:50 PM   #41
ROBE
Commander

Kids love to watch big robots beat the cr@p out of each other!
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 09:10 PM   #42
billcosby
Commodore

Pingfah wrote: View Post
billcosby wrote: View Post

While your observations are not incorrect, for me it was a hoot to see all my favorite childhood toys come to life.

I did feel bad for whoever else in the theater wasn't a rabid fan of Transformers as a kid. I went with my little cousin, uncle and wife. Afterwards my uncle turned to me and said, "I have no idea what the hell was happening for the past 2.5 hours."
Did you not find it disappointing as a rabid childhood fan? I was too, but the movie was so far removed from the tone and look of the original, it didn't feel like Transformers to me.
I've come to conclude that while the Decepticons are usually over-designed and look nothing like their animated counterparts, overall the Autobots ain't too bad. Optimus is optimal, Bumblebee works for me. Ratchet and Ironhide are the wrong colors but the characters seem correct. Megatron and Starscream never looked right but the interaction between the two was nice. Devastator was a disaster... that was one 'bot I needed to have some semblance of the original. Seriously, how fucking cool is Devastator? I guess if you had one as a kid, you'd understand.

Shockwave was kind of awesome, though. Although he didn't have much dialouge I thought he looked badass.
Soundwave wasn't my favorite moviebot either but the idea of him perched in space listening to everything... that is classic G1 Soundwave.

Sure, it's not perfect but I'd always wanted to see a live-action Transformers series and until the next one comes along I'm satisfied with what we have.
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The problem with the Transformers movies is that the Transformers were secondary characters and mostly comic relief in their own damn movie. The movie was more focused on Shia LeBouff's stammering antics, Megan Fox's ass and pursed, breathy, lips; comic relief characters and nearly offensive racial stereotypes.
There is certainly some truth to that... but the core problem is evident in many spectacle movies. For example, when I rewatched The Mask (Jim Carrey) I was amazed at how little screen time he actually gets in "The Mask" vs. his mild mannered alter ego. Transformers 3 Dark of the Moon is another case in point... when I rewatch it I usually skip past the Shia job interview + parents' scenes.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 09:15 PM   #43
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Same goes for He-Man, Power Rangers, Shogun Warriors, pokeyman...
...but superheroes and anything else on a fansite for sci-fi and fantasy fiction is 4srsbsns!!!

Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 09:31 PM   #44
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Because the visuals are amazing! Say what you will about the stories and the characters, but it LOOKS incredible.
Sounds pretty good too. Music can influence what I think of a film I think. Dark had me from the prelude....
Old March 7 2013, 12:11 AM   #45
_C_
Commander

Sexy cars and sexy women.

Too bad I watched it because of Optimus and really nobody else. Dat voice *_*