July-August 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

Pegg: Star Trek Beyond Scary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

San Diego Comic-Con Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old March 3 2014, 07:37 AM   #481
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

if i remember correctly the aborted Godzilla Imax film would have featured the big G tearing through Vegas. maybe this idea that was carried over?
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 08:34 PM   #482
Christopher
Writer

I've been thinking about the line in the trailer implying that the '54 US nuclear tests in the Pacific weren't actually tests, but were intended to destroy something (i.e. Godzilla, probably). My first thought was that this was revisionist, even getting it backward, because the intent of the original film was that it was those American nuclear tests that drove Godzilla from his feeding grounds and led to his attack on Tokyo in the first place. The film was actually an allegorical protest for the damage that the radiation from those Marshall Islands tests inflicted on Japan -- lethally irradiating the crew of a fishing boat and contaminating Japanese soil and water with fallout. So the idea of turning around "the American nukes caused Godzilla" into "Godzilla caused the nukes" seemed troubling at first, like trying to dodge the original's critique of America. Not to mention that it would be inconsistent with the original film's continuity, which virtually all subsequent movies have more or less followed.

But then I realized it can still work. The original film said the American nuclear bombings drove Godzilla to Japan -- but that doesn't necessarily mean the Americans were unaware of Godzilla. Maybe what the film will reveal is that first the Americans discovered Godzilla, then they nuked him, and that then drove him to seek other feeding grounds in Japan as seen in the original film. If anything, that would make the American military even more complicit than the original implied, because they were aware of the creature and didn't warn Japan.

Would an American Godzilla film be bold enough to take that tack? We'll see...
Old March 3 2014, 10:30 PM   #483
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Apparently Godzilla is woken up by nuclear testing prior the 1950's and/or the bombs dropped on Japan at the end of the war, however all subsequent "tests" are meant to be them trying to destroy the monster. Either way, one of Toho's stipulations for this film was that Godzilla must have a nuclear origin, we'll just have to see which one it is.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 12:04 AM   #484
publiusr
Rear Admiral

A creature nukes couldn't stop reminds me of the story "A Colder War" and makes big G a lot scarier.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 02:17 AM   #485
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

We nuke Japan and wake up Godzilla, they then nuke some islands to try to kill him in 54.

For the 10 years between Godzilla was jet skiing.
Old March 4 2014, 02:19 AM   #486
Chemahkuu
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Godzilla was jet skiing.
I will now have that image in my head for days.
Old March 4 2014, 02:22 AM   #487
sojourner
Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Godzilla was jet skiing.
I will now have that image in my head for days.
You've seen the commercial, right?
Old March 4 2014, 02:25 AM   #488
Chemahkuu
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I have now

Curiously enough, pretty much how I imagined it.
Old March 4 2014, 03:31 AM   #489
Christopher
Writer

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
Apparently Godzilla is woken up by nuclear testing prior the 1950's and/or the bombs dropped on Japan at the end of the war, however all subsequent "tests" are meant to be them trying to destroy the monster. Either way, one of Toho's stipulations for this film was that Godzilla must have a nuclear origin, we'll just have to see which one it is.
In the original film, Godzilla wasn't "woken up," but his species had just been living in the deep trenches of the Pacific all along, a "living fossil" like the coelacanth. The nuclear tests in the Marshall Islands in 1954 just displaced him from his feeding grounds and drove him in search of new food sources, which happened to be in Japan. And irradiated him so that his breath became radioactive. Actually they did this to two Godzillas, because a second one emerged in 1955 after the first was killed. It was in the second film, Godzilla Raids Again, that the idea of the nuclear tests "awakening" the Godzillas and Anguirus was first broached.

The '90s films retconned things so that Godzilla was mutated from a land-dwelling carnosaur, but still, that "Godzillasaurus" was already active on the island of Lagos before the bombs mutated/supersized it. So again it was more of a Lost World/Valley of Gwangi type of scenario where a dinosaur species had avoided extinction in an isolated part of the world and was already active before the bomb tests.

A number of American monster movies in the '50s also took the tack that the giant creatures had existed all along in uncharted environs, with atomic weapons simply causing them to come into contact with humans for the first time. In It Came from Beneath the Sea in '55, the giant octopus was a naturally occurring denizen of the Pacific but had been irradiated by the Marshall Islands tests so that its prey, fish that could sense radiation, detected its approach and were able to flee. So it was forced to hunt prey that couldn't sense it coming, such as humans. Then there's The Monster That Challenged the World, in which experimental Naval depth charges (or something) in the Salton Sea in Southern California released a species of giant prehistoric mollusk that had been in dehydrated suspension beneath the sea bed for millions of years. I think the first movie to actually show radiation creating giant monsters through mutation was Them! -- although that was over several generations of ant mutation in the nine years since the Alamogordo atomic tests, rather than happening to a single individual as in the '90s Godzilla films. One of the first films to show an individual creature growing giant was Jack Arnold's Tarantula in '55, but that was due to a super growth hormone with a little radioactive seasoning to make it more potent.
Old March 4 2014, 05:38 AM   #490
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Well there was some talk of both Godzilla and these MUTO creatures already existing. It could be that Godzilla's kind were already somehow naturally radioactive, and that makes them susceptible to being "mutated" by modern nuclear testing, resulting in Godzilla becoming larger and more powerful over the decades from 1954 to 2014.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 04:58 PM   #491
Christopher
Writer

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
Well there was some talk of both Godzilla and these MUTO creatures already existing. It could be that Godzilla's kind were already somehow naturally radioactive, and that makes them susceptible to being "mutated" by modern nuclear testing, resulting in Godzilla becoming larger and more powerful over the decades from 1954 to 2014.
Well, it depends. Toho alone has featured seven distinct Godzilla universes that have reinvented the rules of the universe and the nature of Godzilla several times. The original assumption was that he was simply a living fossil displaced and made radioactive by atomic testing, not unlike the octopus in It Came From Beneath the Sea. The second film introduced the idea that he'd been awakened from suspended animation -- not unlike the title creature in the movie that inspired Godzilla and the whole giant-monster genre in the first place, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (which was freed from the Arctic ice by American atomic tests). The two most recent Toho universes to date are variants of this original continuity.

The first continuity reboot in 1984 introduced the idea that Godzilla was actually nuclear-powered himself and fed on radiation. The third film in that "Heisei" continuity (named for the era in the Japanese calendar when most of it was produced) added the retcon of the Godzillasaurus that was mutated to giant size by nuclear testing, and we saw other creatures similarly gigantized by radiation including Rodan and Baby Godzilla aka Godzilla Junior. In this continuity, Godzilla had grown from 50 to 80 meters by the time he returned in '84, and the time-travel attempt in the third movie to prevent his creation actually backfired and resulted in an altered Godzilla who was a full 100 meters tall.

Then the next slate of movies beginning in 1999 introduced the idea that Godzilla possessed a Wolverine-like regenerative ability enabling him to come back even from near-total destruction. The three films from 1999 to 2001 were all in different continuities, but they all used this regenerative capability; in the second of the three, a character mentioned that they'd have to destroy Godzilla completely "this time" to make sure he didn't regenerate, and in the third... well, I don't want to spoil the ending. But what these three continuties seem to have in common (although the first is quite vague where its whole backstory is concerned) is that their versions of Godzilla are all the original 1954 model, regenerated after near-total destruction by the Oxygen Destroyer in the original film, and growing somewhat larger as a result of his regeneration. In the other four continuities, it's overt or implicit that the original was killed but a second one -- a larger one in the Heisei case, at least -- emerged. (Actually the early Heisei films implied their Godzilla was the original, but the final film in the sequence established him unambiguously as the second Godzilla. I tend to assume the occupants of the Heisei universe originally assumed the 1984-model Godzilla was the original returned, but later figured out it was a second member of the species.)

So there's nothing that's absolutely consistent among all the Godzilla universes except that they include some version of the events of the 1954 film. The details and the nature of Godzilla vary from reality to reality, though. So I'm not expecting this film to be completely consistent with any of the prior realities any more than they are with each other (or within themselves, in the case of the two long-running ones). I just hope it maintains the tradition of assuming that the broad outlines of the original film did occur.
Old March 4 2014, 11:00 PM   #492
Worfmonger
Commander

Christopher, I've got to commend your Big-G knowledge base. Wow.

I'm really curious about how they're going to explain/show his breath weapon and ability to shrug off conventional weapons. I always thought some sort of biologically-maintained kinetic dampening field would work for the latter, combined with crazy healing ability for what damage does get through.

The breath weapon, though... how will they make that believable? 'Cause, you know, Godzilla has to have a breath weapon, doesn't he?

Peace

Worfmonger
And threw every piece into a fire.
Worfmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 11:06 PM   #493
DWF
Admiral

Godzilla has a heat ray made of pure radiation, the Emmerick version had a flame breath, but in reality it's pure radiation.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 11:25 PM   #494
Christopher
Writer

If Godzilla were believable, he'd be completely immobilized by his own weight the moment he came out of the water and would die on the shore like a beached whale. He's a fantasy creature, pure and simple. He breathes atomic fire because he's an atomic dragon.
Old March 4 2014, 11:34 PM   #495
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
But what these three continuties seem to have in common (although the first is quite vague where its whole backstory is concerned) is that their versions of Godzilla are all the original 1954 model, regenerated after near-total destruction by the Oxygen Destroyer in the original film, and growing somewhat larger as a result of his regeneration. In the other four continuities, it's overt or implicit that the original was killed but a second one -- a larger one in the Heisei case, at least -- emerged.
Let me start by saying that I deeply respect your knowledge, and when I correct you here, it is probably more to do with my need to show off my own knowledge than you actually failing here. Overall, you are absolutely right.

But I'd like to point out that, in the final Toho Godzilla film "Godzilla: Final Wars" from 2004, there was no indication of the Godzilla in this movie being a second one. The only mention of the events of the original movie is the age of the monsters beginning in 1954.

It may be, though, that there are differences in translations, as I know the German translation from the Splendid DVD, while you most likely know the English translation from the Sony DVD.

Also, Godzilla being about twice as big as in the original may be interpreted as this one being a second one.

Another thing, your post reminded me of an article from the G-Fan fanzine from the early 90s (I don't quite remember the exact issue number), in which the writer theorized about Godzilla having regenerative powers caused by ongoing mutation, which results also in his changing features. Just a bit of fan theorizing, but remarkable since it actually pre-dated the Millennium era films and their establishing of Godzilla's regenerative powers.

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote