TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 27 2014, 03:23 AM   #436
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post

Yeah, the DVD's are ridiculously hard to track down now and my VHS collection isn't around anymore.
The DVDs are a pain because they have different names for different releases, like Godzilla 2000 was also Godzilla vs the smog monster. I bought a bunch of them for my grandma a few Christmas back, they gave in two packs.

The 98 one had an awesome cartoon series follow up that made that movie well worth it. Godzilla 98 was Godzilla, the baby egg was Zilla.
Old February 27 2014, 03:33 AM   #437
Christopher
Writer

It was Godzilla vs. Hedorah that was renamed ...vs. the Smog Monster, I believe.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 04:43 AM   #438
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

Tiberius wrote: View Post
I quite liked the 98 one.
I didn't.

I actually rewatched the original again (as suarezguy did) last night. It's still a very strong film, dramatically speaking. What I noted, though, was that the film didn't really rely as heavily on Godzilla-as-a-menace through visual means (the look of the beast) - but rather on glimpses of it, the sounds of it (drums signifying its walking, it's roar), and the images of destruction in its wake. I hope the new film keeps some of that in mind. I know, given modern movie-making, that it'll be faster paced, with more action set-pieces. But for me, the reason why the trailer was so effective was that it didn't show us much of the beast - but rather the destruction, glimpses, and of course, the sounds. The closer the film holds to that approach, the more likely I will really enjoy it.
Old February 27 2014, 06:31 AM   #439
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

This is a pretty good trailer. I don't like Godzilla's mouth, assuming that's Godzilla's mouth, but I can live with that. Plenty to like here, as trailers go. As long as it's not panned, I'll go see it in the theater.

^ I really like the first film, and the ambiance of the destruction of Tokyo is quite effective, to me.
Old February 27 2014, 06:51 AM   #440
Tiberius
Commodore

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
Tiberius wrote: View Post
I quite liked the 98 one.
I didn't.
Well, I tink the thing is that if the 98 film was called "Giganto" or something, instead of Godzilla, and no connection was made to Godzilla, then it would have been a competent monster movie. I think a lot of the hate comes from people who just don't like the fact that it appears to be trying to be something it isn't. If you remove any Godzilla connection and look at it as a stand alone movie, then it's actually pretty good.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 09:37 AM   #441
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ My cousin used to call it "Giguana".
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 12:05 PM   #442
Redfern
Commodore

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^ My cousin used to call it "Giguana".
Honestly, that DOES have a certain ring to it.

Seriously, I rather like that.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 04:31 PM   #443
Captain_Amasov
Captain

They weren't kidding when they said he's only just slightly larger than his previous incarnation:

https://24.media.tumblr.com/570d1f3a...kmbo4_1280.jpg
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 04:37 PM   #444
Christopher
Writer

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
They weren't kidding when they said he's only just slightly larger than his previous incarnation:

That chart is misleading. It's labeled "How Godzilla Has Grown Over the Years," but it places them in order of size rather than chronology. Put them in chronological order and he goes from 50m to 85m to 100m to 60m to 55m to 105m (about). So that's growing, then shrinking, then growing again. (Although I thought the Millennium Godzilla was in the 80m range.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 05:33 PM   #445
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post

That chart is misleading. It's labeled "How Godzilla Has Grown Over the Years," but it places them in order of size rather than chronology. Put them in chronological order and he goes from 50m to 85m to 100m to 60m to 55m to 105m (about). So that's growing, then shrinking, then growing again. (Although I thought the Millennium Godzilla was in the 80m range.)
According to Toho the Millennium Godzilla was around 55m, with the one from GMK being 60m,and finally the Godzilla in Final Wars was 100m.

Throw in the '84 and '89 Godzilla at 80m and you have quite a wide height range.

Last edited by Captain_Amasov; February 27 2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old February 27 2014, 06:03 PM   #446
Redfern
Commodore

I've seen photos of a toy supposed based upon the LP Godzilla in the last two days. It certainly resembles what we've so far glimpsed, but the feet are, uh, "interesting" to say the least. Whereas the '98 monster had almost raptor type digitigrade feet, this toy has gone in the opposite direction. The toes are barely "nubs" making the legs look almost elephantine.

Has anyone seen the feet of the LP Godzilla? Do they really look like that, or is the toy based upon an earlier "less refined" design? That size chart shows a beast with more prominant toes, but I realize that drawing may be nothing more than a "best guess" based upon limited information.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old February 27 2014, 06:11 PM   #447
Captain_Amasov
Captain

The feet have been a big thing on many Godzilla sites, mostly people think that they look like brontosaurus feet. Those that saw the SDCC footage last year said they sort of are like that but don't look that bad in action, though they still might have altered them further since then.
Old February 27 2014, 06:14 PM   #448
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

He seems to have bulked up more than grown in height for this iteration, with that much more mass and the thicker/armoured hide he's going to be tougher than ever to put a dent in.

As it should be, but even at that size he's shown to move fast enough in the trailers, not quite Zilla's speed but not lumbering either.

Now, just confirm the atomic breath and we're set.
Old February 27 2014, 06:16 PM   #449
Redfern
Commodore

Yeah, maybe "brontosaurus" is a better description. The question is still valid. Are those the feet this newest "King of the Monsters" will have? None of the footage or publicity shots I've so far personally seen have depicted the feet.

I promise not to make a fuss. I'm just curious.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old February 27 2014, 06:21 PM   #450
Captain_Amasov
Captain

In a couple of weeks the embargo on the toys and other merchandise is lifted, we'll probably know more about what he'll overall look like then.