MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 10 2013, 10:19 AM   #316
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Re: Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

From the halo jump: http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/8045...lla-pics-3.jpg
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 07:52 PM   #317
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Trailer

Looks pretty cool!

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 08:35 PM   #318
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Ooh, a huge lizard, never seen that before. Ooh, noble 'murican! grunts jumping out of planes to save the world, that's a new one. Ooh, entire cities burning, Hollywood's really breaking new ground there.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 08:41 PM   #319
Christopher
Writer

One does not go to a Godzilla movie in search of originality. The 1954 film was a brilliant allegory, but it was also a pretty blatant copy of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. And most of the rest have been about establishing and sticking with the formula. The question is how good a job they do with it. A formula can be executed brilliantly or ineptly.

And at least entire cities burning makes more sense in the context of a Godzilla movie than in, oh, say, a Superman movie. The difference is that Superman is doing his job badly if the city gets destroyed, while Godzilla is doing his job badly if the city doesn't get destroyed.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 08:43 PM   #320
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Ooh, a huge lizard, never seen that before. Ooh, noble 'murican! grunts jumping out of planes to save the world, that's a new one. Ooh, entire cities burning, Hollywood's really breaking new ground there.
So WHAT were you expecting really? A treatise on the human condition through the eyes of a paraplegic?

Come on.. it's a Godzilla movie. Things will get smashed and people will either fight Godzilla or with it against some other big threat. Doesn't matter if it's Japanese or Americans who do the fighting?

JD wrote:
Look what I found on Amazon.
Heh. I was wondering when somebody was going to spot that.

And now you know why I've been keeping my mouth shut in this thread . . . .

As usual, I'm sworn to secrecy!
Not to ask you about movie/novel story details but i was wondering how you got that job? Did you learn they were making a Godzilla movie and you asked them if you could write the novel, were you approached so they could use your rockstar TrekBBS cred to sell more books?

I'm just curious how the process is with these things as i have very little knowledge about the publishing/writing world.
Old December 10 2013, 09:03 PM   #321
Gaith
Rear Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
So WHAT were you expecting really? A treatise on the human condition through the eyes of a paraplegic?
I expected the trailer to suck, and it did. It's just Bayformers with a big lizard instead of a robot.

Christopher wrote: View Post
The difference is that Superman is doing his job badly if the city gets destroyed, while Godzilla is doing his job badly if the city doesn't get destroyed.
So we're rooting for cities to be destroyed, is that it? We're like those who go to see the latest Freddy movie, actively rooting to see young kids gruesomely murdered?

We're six-year-olds mindlessly paying to watch someone spend 200 mil to pretend to stomp on a backyard sandbox city?

... Anyone else remember when sci-fi was about broadening our imaginations? When sci-fi made people think of visionaries like Bradbury?
Old December 10 2013, 09:14 PM   #322
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Very effective trailer!
Old December 10 2013, 09:15 PM   #323
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Are you here just to complain about the concept Gaith?
Old December 10 2013, 09:18 PM   #324
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Not to ask you about movie/novel story details but i was wondering how you got that job? Did you learn they were making a Godzilla movie and you asked them if you could write the novel, were you approached so they could use your rockstar TrekBBS cred to sell more books?

I'm just curious how the process is with these things as i have very little knowledge about the publishing/writing world.
In this case, the explanation is pretty simple. I had previously written the novelizations of The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel for Warner Bros./Legendary/Titan, so I assume that when Godzilla came up somebody said "Well, why don't we just get Greg again?"

(Works for me!)

To be more specific, my editor asked me if I was available, I said "Hell, yes," the nice folks at Warner agreed as well, and we were off and running . . . .

Hope that answers your question.
Old December 10 2013, 09:45 PM   #325
Christopher
Writer

I expected the trailer to suck, and it did.
That says it all. Ever heard of expectation bias?

So we're rooting for cities to be destroyed, is that it?
So you're rooting for movies -- and their audiences -- to be worthy of your contempt, is that it?

... Anyone else remember when sci-fi was about broadening our imaginations? When sci-fi made people think of visionaries like Bradbury?
Bradbury loved writing about dinosaurs. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms was named after a story of his (later renamed "The Foghorn"). He was approached to do a rewrite on the screenplay, and when he pointed out that one of its scenes had similarities to his story, the filmmakers bought the rights to the story, used its title, and gave him story credit for the film. So one could say that Bradbury was one of the indirect inspirations for the Godzilla franchise.

Anyway, the original Godzilla is a fine work of science fiction. The science is totally fanciful, but the film is a powerful allegory about important themes, a symbolic protest of the devastation wrought on Japan by American nuclear weapons -- not only the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which is powerfully evoked in the scenes following up on Godzilla's rampage, but the deaths caused by the ongoing nuclear tests in the Marshall Islands and the fallout that descended on Japan as a result.

True, the majority of films in the Godzilla/daikaiju franchise have been cheesier and lighter, and none have matched the power of the original, but the best ones have had something to say.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 10:09 PM   #326
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

I expected the trailer to suck, and it did. It's just Bayformers with a big lizard instead of a robot.

The difference is that Superman is doing his job badly if the city gets destroyed, while Godzilla is doing his job badly if the city doesn't get destroyed.
So we're rooting for cities to be destroyed, is that it? We're like those who go to see the latest Freddy movie, actively rooting to see young kids gruesomely murdered?

We're six-year-olds mindlessly paying to watch someone spend 200 mil to pretend to stomp on a backyard sandbox city?

Sci-fi has also been used for a very long time as a "warning" of social and/or scientific progress.
Godzilla falls in the latter categorie, although the scientific progress adressed lies in the past.

In the original movie, Godzilla was used to give the dangers of radioactivity a face. From what I hear, we still use nuclear power and are not decreasing the number of nuclear weapons.

Therefore, the idea of Godzilla actually remains topical, especially so shortly after Fukushima. The producers, as well as director Gareth Edwards, have maintained that the movie will go back to the original message.

Another thing which made the original movie more than just a monster b-movie, something that helped deliver the message, was the intensity, the showing of human suffering in relation to the monster's attack.
They didn't do that in "Beast" or "Tarantula" or those other monster flicks.
They also didn't do it in MoS, "The Avengers" or the "Transformers" movies.
But we do see dead bodies lying around a wrecked train, we do see a crying Bryan Cranston, we do see the terror in the faces of people - not just panic, but terror - in this trailer. And I also felt the fear of that soldier jumping towards Godzilla.

So, no, it's not new. In fact, it's sixty years old. But in comparison to what other blockbusters are showing us, it feels fresh, and it feels relevant.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 10:16 PM   #327
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Funny you should mention the human condition, given what Christopher has said:

Bradbury loved writing about dinosaurs. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms was named after a story of his (later renamed "The Foghorn"). He was approached to do a rewrite on the screenplay, and when he pointed out that one of its scenes had similarities to his story, the filmmakers bought the rights to the story, used its title, and gave him story credit for the film. So one could say that Bradbury was one of the indirect inspirations for the Godzilla franchise.
I remember that story. It's beautiful and evocative, using a silly, fantastical idea (a surviving dinosaur from deep in the ocean depths) to make a comment about the universality of loneliness as a part of the experience of consciousness. What I don't remember in that story is devastated cities, untold agonizing fatalities, gruff yet honorable murican! military types, and Bayformers-esque battles.

Somehow I doubt there'll be much of Bradbury's spirit in this joint. More's the pity, especially for all the youngsters out there, who aren't exposed to writers like Bradbury by their parents and teachers as I was. (In other words, I'd love for my confirmation bias to be proven wrong here.)

Anyway, the original Godzilla is a fine work of science fiction. The science is totally fanciful, but the film is a powerful allegory about important themes, a symbolic protest of the devastation wrought on Japan by American nuclear weapons -- not only the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which is powerfully evoked in the scenes following up on Godzilla's rampage, but the deaths caused by the ongoing nuclear tests in the Marshall Islands and the fallout that descended on Japan as a result.
Sure, that's pop culture 101. But the last wartime use of a nuke was... Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Is there any reason to believe this flick will have anything to say? Or will it be another soulless remake a la Red Dawn '12, copying and pasting an old concept while losing any of the original's originality and adding nothing in its place?

Look, I like stupid movies as well as anyone. I loved Battle: LA, in part because one could plausibly argue that, if only on a subconscious level, it was an attempt on the filmmakers' part to imagine what being in the thick of recent urban combat from other parts of the world might be like on our own home streets, albeit with a fantastical level. (Numerous reviews didn't call it "Black Hawk Down with aliens" for nothing.) So I'm not saying "let's never have stupid," but not all stupid is created equal, as anyone who's seen a Bayformers knows.
Old December 10 2013, 10:17 PM   #328
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The choral bit pumping up the feeling of rising panic is from 2001: A Space Odyssey, right?
Old December 10 2013, 11:35 PM   #329
The Keeper
Commodore

I never really ever gave a rats ass about the 'message' of Godzilla. As a kid, it was all about seeing cities getting stomped on and digging how 'cool' the Lizard King acted, but now, watching that with the knowledge of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster I gotta say that actually raised the hairs on the back of my neck. Well done!

I wonder if this film dares make that incident this Godzilla's origin story?
Old December 10 2013, 11:41 PM   #330
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Teddy Borg wrote: View Post
I wonder if this film dares make that incident this Godzilla's origin story?
No way.