To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 12 2013, 06:15 PM   #211
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

More info on Godzilla at Comic-Con this years: http://sdccblog.com/2013/07/godzilla...ego-comic-con/
Old July 12 2013, 07:01 PM   #212
MOSUGOJI
Lieutenant Commander

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
MOSUGOJI wrote: View Post
I wonder if he will stomp Comic Con
He did in Dark Horse's GODZILLA VS HERO ZERO.
You are right, I had completely forgotten about that. Time to dig out that comic book after al these years.
MOSUGOJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 05:32 PM   #213
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

I recently had this thought. Let's assume for a moment that this new movie will actually be a sequel to the 1954 original. We do know Akira Takarada will have at least a cameo. What if he'll reprise his role as Ogata?!

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 06:22 PM   #214
Christopher
Writer

^Every Japanese Godzilla film since 1955 has been a sequel to the '54 original (except maybe Godzilla 2000, which was mute on the issue), and Takarada has been in several of them, in a different role each time. He was the reporter lead in Mothra vs. Godzilla, the lead astronaut in Invasion of Astro-Monster (aka Godzilla vs. Monster Zero), the lead in Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, a government official in Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth, and the UN Secretary General in Godzilla: Final Wars (as well as the second lead in King Kong Escapes). So his appearance in the 2014 film doesn't necessarily suggest that he'll be playing Ogata. Particularly since we don't know if the new film will be a sequel or a complete reboot.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 06:33 PM   #215
DWF
Vice Admiral

The official synopsis so far from themoviebit.com.

If Pacific Rim has put you in the mood for more giant monster action, fear not!! Gareth Edward's Godzilla reboot is little under a year away, and after what feels like a lifetime of teasing (more like a year), we are finally getting some movement of information from the project, in the form of the official synopsis. Coming from the schedule of this year's San Diego Comic-Con, it reads like this:

"An epic rebirth to Toho's iconic Godzilla, this spectacular adventure pits the world's most famous monster against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity's scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence".

What I find really interesting is "malevolent creatures". Could we be seeing not only the return of Godzilla, but some of his famous adversaries, like King Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan, aswell? Or will be seeing the King of Monsters, as well as his human co-stars (which include Bryan Cranston, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, and Ken Watanabe), tangling with all new creations? Either way, we should find out more information at Legendary Pictures' Comic-Con panel on July 20th.

Released: 16th May 2014

--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 07:44 PM   #216
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Every Japanese Godzilla film since 1955 has been a sequel to the '54 original (except maybe Godzilla 2000, which was mute on the issue), and Takarada has been in several of them, in a different role each time. He was the reporter lead in Mothra vs. Godzilla, the lead astronaut in Invasion of Astro-Monster (aka Godzilla vs. Monster Zero), the lead in Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, a government official in Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth, and the UN Secretary General in Godzilla: Final Wars (as well as the second lead in King Kong Escapes). So his appearance in the 2014 film doesn't necessarily suggest that he'll be playing Ogata. Particularly since we don't know if the new film will be a sequel or a complete reboot.
And I don't say he will be. It was only the possibility which dawned on me. Even though Toho rarely used the same human character twice in the series, despite using the same actors over and over again, western film makers, especially now-adays, do tend to do just that.

Look, I realize that at the moment there's not much to extrapolate the content of the movie, or who Takarada will be playing. I just had this thought he might turn out to play Ogata (for which, again, there's not even the slightest suggestion, other than Takarada's involvement itself), and thought it would actually be cool.

cooleddie74

Old July 14 2013, 08:14 PM   #217
Christopher
Writer

^Well, sure. You raised the possibility, and I offered more information to flesh out the discussion for whoever may be reading. On the one hand, it's conceivable that he could be playing Ogata, but on the other hand, he's played enough other characters in the franchise that it's too early to know. Just getting both sides of the question in there.

Personally, I'm hoping the new film is a sequel rather than a reboot, and I'd be happy if he were Ogata; I loved it that they brought back Emiko in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah. But I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 08:11 PM   #218
Gojira
Commodore

Here is the poster for Comic-Con!

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/...013/07/god.jpg
Old July 15 2013, 08:31 PM   #219
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Gojira wrote: View Post
Clever idea, but the implementation doesn't do much for me.
Old July 17 2013, 02:00 PM   #220
Gojira
Commodore

THE FACE OF THE NEW GODZILLA!!!!!

https://twitter.com/demoncarnotaur/s...479040/photo/1
Old July 17 2013, 02:19 PM   #221
Redfern
Commodore

Guess I'll have to return home before I can see it. Understandably, sites like Twitter, FaceBook , PhotoBucket and others get blocked by our company firewall. (Strange that the TrekBBS is not.)

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 04:39 PM   #222
Captain_Amasov
Captain

One of the Godzilla models on display at the Godzilla Encounter in San Diego: https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovies/s...897536/photo/1
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 04:53 PM   #223
Gojira
Commodore

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
One of the Godzilla models on display at the Godzilla Encounter in San Diego: https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovies/s...897536/photo/1
From what I understand that is still a concept model and not the final design...at least I hope. It's not bad I just want something a little different.
Old July 17 2013, 05:15 PM   #224
Captain_Amasov
Captain

I'd like bigger dorsal spines than the model had, though I'm okay with the rest of it.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 05:36 PM   #225
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

I'd also like more scales. That model looks kinda leathery. And brown, though that could be the lighting.

cooleddie74