RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,796
Posts: 5,325,749
Members: 24,548
Currently online: 573
Newest member: wrestlefreak36

TrekToday headlines

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 7 2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Frontier
Vice Admiral
 
Frontier's Avatar
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell, IE: Pennsylvania
View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

http://www.lionsgate.com/corporate/press-releases/1578/

The new film franchise will re-envision the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, a group of high school kids who are infused with unique and cool super powers but must harness and use those powers as a team if they have any hope of saving the world.
So yeah, how did this not have a thread yet?

They're re-booting MMPR. Not just making a new incarnation of the Rangers as a film. They specifically say "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" and "re-envison" in the press release.

Jason David Frank (Tommy, the Green/White/Red/Red/Black) ranger is already chomping at the bit for a part.

If this is done right and make this film for a contemporary audience, like they've been doing with superhero films from DC and Marvel for a while now, I can see something perhaps cool. They can't stay in the aimed-at-8-year-olds realm though. This has to be gritty and grown up. It has to appeal to adults who grew up with the shows, rather than only appealing to people in grade school. It's got to be PG-13 and earn that, like so many other superhero films.
__________________
Me on Tumblr
Me on Twitter

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 10:42 PM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

Is it bad that I want Michael Bay to direct this? I would love to see his Megazord fighting some giant monster.

Also, they need to bring back Amy Jo Johnson, even if it's just some small cameo.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 10:49 PM   #3
Frontier
Vice Admiral
 
Frontier's Avatar
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell, IE: Pennsylvania
View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

What I Want From the New Power Rangers Reboot Movie
  • A True PG-13 Superhero Film with a Serious Tone, on par with Comicbook movies of the last decade-plus. We’ve got 20+ seasons and 2 other movies with the tame grade school tone. Enough is enough.
  • No Rita as bad-guy, Go Straight to Lord Zed. Dude was so bad-ass he had parents complaining. Let him be bad-ass. Keep this look, his sound, and just let him be the evil SOB he is.
  • Bad-ass Goldar as Zed’s right-hand lieutenant.
  • Conflict between the Rangers. Totally different social circles at School, not friends at first. They’ve got to learn to work together and overcome their differences at first.
  • Evil Green Ranger that is saved/turned good in first movie. Loses powers heroically in the second movie. Is reborn as the white ranger in the third to save the day.
  • Jason David Frank in some capacity. TBH I’d be fine with him as the Green Ranger/White Ranger. Who cares if he’s 40? Have him be Jason’s martial arts instructor, add a whole mentor/student thing to it. Dude’s the Spock of the MMPR verse.
  • Cameos from all the original rangers at various points. Have them play teachers, parents, I don’t care what to the new Rangers. Just get them in there for a minute or so each.
__________________
Me on Tumblr
Me on Twitter

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 10:50 PM   #4
Frontier
Vice Admiral
 
Frontier's Avatar
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell, IE: Pennsylvania
View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Is it bad that I want Michael Bay to direct this? I would love to see his Megazord fighting some giant monster.

Also, they need to bring back Amy Jo Johnson, even if it's just some small cameo.
Yes. Yes it is bad. Michael Bay should never be allowed to make movies ever again.
__________________
Me on Tumblr
Me on Twitter

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 10:52 PM   #5
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

Frontier wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Is it bad that I want Michael Bay to direct this? I would love to see his Megazord fighting some giant monster.

Also, they need to bring back Amy Jo Johnson, even if it's just some small cameo.
Yes. Yes it is bad. Michael Bay should never be allowed to make movies ever again.
*shrug* He fulfills my summer need to see hot people running away from explosions.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 10:53 PM   #6
Frontier
Vice Admiral
 
Frontier's Avatar
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell, IE: Pennsylvania
View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Frontier wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Is it bad that I want Michael Bay to direct this? I would love to see his Megazord fighting some giant monster.

Also, they need to bring back Amy Jo Johnson, even if it's just some small cameo.
Yes. Yes it is bad. Michael Bay should never be allowed to make movies ever again.
*shrug* He fulfills my summer need to see hot people running away from explosions.
Light off a fire-cracker in your trash-can while you watch a track-team themed porn. Same thing, only likely turn out better quality, better acted, and better scripted.
__________________
Me on Tumblr
Me on Twitter

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 11:22 PM   #7
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

I'd love to see a Power Rangers movie directed by Quentin Tarantino or Robert Rodriguez. They're good at respecting and playing up imports like that. Just imagine it.

I'll take your suggestions though, Frontier. A big budget movie does sound good as long as Saban doesn't have too much creative control. The franchise actually was getting better and becoming more "grown up" until he took it back from Disney a few years ago and dumbed it down significantly.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 12:15 AM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

Frontier wrote: View Post
Conflict between the Rangers. Totally different social circles at School, not friends at first. They’ve got to learn to work together and overcome their differences at first
I could do without that one. Too much of an uninteresting cliché.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 12:41 AM   #9
urbandefault
Commander
 
urbandefault's Avatar
 
Location: Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie!
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

Maybe they could work in some of this. It's Morphin' Time!

__________________
"Hello pants." - Gary Busey
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 04:00 AM   #10
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

But will they faithfully depict Zordon's blatant racism?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 04:09 AM   #11
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

Frontier wrote: View Post
This has to be gritty and grown up.


No.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 04:12 AM   #12
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Also, they need to bring back Amy Jo Johnson, even if it's just some small cameo.
Truth.
__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 04:34 AM   #13
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Frontier wrote: View Post
This has to be gritty and grown up.


No.
I thought the same thing when I read that post
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 05:24 AM   #14
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

It was pretty much there in 2009 with Power Rangers RPM, the last of the Disney seasons. Spoilers ahead... We had humanity confined to a domed city while the rest of the planet was devastated. We had a smooth-talking con artist who accidentally became a ranger when he used a morpher. There was a drifter who became a ranger and found out that the enemy they've been fighting was led by his kidnapped sister. And we had a child prodigy who was used to start the war that obliterated mankind, then kept this to herself and then created the Power Rangers to make up for it all. It got pretty dark, by Power Rangers standards anyway.

It wasn't without the usual fun though, and the show even made fun of itself from time to time...

Dillon: ...nothing says "covert" like bright red, yellow, and blue, spandex.
Dr. K: THAT IS NOT SPANDEX!

Ziggy: Sometimes when I morph, I can't help but notice this gigantic explosion right behind me for no apparent reason.
Dr. K: I assume you're referring to the residual energy run off that is sometimes necessary to clear the suit's biofield channels during the morph.
Ziggy: I'm referring to the six-story high fireballs, like that one right there! [points at the screen of the explosion]
Ziggy: Now, could that happen to me in the kitchen or something?

Flynn: When we morph, is it absolutely 100% necessary that we scream "RPM, get in gear" from the top of our lungs?
Ziggy: Uh, that's a very good point. Uh, some of us out there are trying impress chicks. Uh, it's definitely not helping.

Flynn: [While talking about a zord] It's not normal, okay? It's a giant flying chicken that's shooting laser beams at people, really?
Summer: Okay, I'm with Flynn. This thing is so weird.
Ziggy: Weird? Okay, you cruise around in a giant yellow teddy bear, okay? I drive a big green fish. Look in the mirror, people. We're in no position to be sitting in judgment of anything weird.
Dillon: Man's got a point.

Scott: [After asking about the eyes on the zords] What do you mean, "What eyes"? Right there, on the front of our Zords.
Dr. K: They are not eyes. They are optical field scanning sensors for your cockpit's A2D display.
Scott: Well, they look like, well...
Dillon: They look like eyes.
Ziggy: Big googly anime eyes
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 06:34 AM   #15
AllStarEntprise
Captain
 
AllStarEntprise's Avatar
 
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

Frontier wrote: View Post
What I Want From the New Power Rangers Reboot Movie
  • A True PG-13 Superhero Film with a Serious Tone, on par with Comicbook movies of the last decade-plus. We’ve got 20+ seasons and 2 other movies with the tame grade school tone. Enough is enough.
  • No Rita as bad-guy, Go Straight to Lord Zed. Dude was so bad-ass he had parents complaining. Let him be bad-ass. Keep this look, his sound, and just let him be the evil SOB he is.
  • Bad-ass Goldar as Zed’s right-hand lieutenant.
  • Conflict between the Rangers. Totally different social circles at School, not friends at first. They’ve got to learn to work together and overcome their differences at first.
  • Evil Green Ranger that is saved/turned good in first movie. Loses powers heroically in the second movie. Is reborn as the white ranger in the third to save the day.
  • Jason David Frank in some capacity. TBH I’d be fine with him as the Green Ranger/White Ranger. Who cares if he’s 40? Have him be Jason’s martial arts instructor, add a whole mentor/student thing to it. Dude’s the Spock of the MMPR verse.
  • Cameos from all the original rangers at various points. Have them play teachers, parents, I don’t care what to the new Rangers. Just get them in there for a minute or so each.
I agree with all except Zedd. Rita was a way better villain than Zeddy. Zedd was all hot air and yelling and never came as close to beating the rangers like Rita did in season 1.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
power rangers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.