Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Why do you read Trek?
I like to read about my favorite pre-existing Trek characters facing new problems and scenarios. 55 80.88%
I like to continue where the plot of a series or film left off, or read about before it began. 60 88.24%
I like to meet entirely new characters that connect themselves with the current Trek universe. 39 57.35%
I like to have the technology that exists in the current Trek universe explained. 10 14.71%
I like to read about new technology that does not exist in the current Trek universe. 6 8.82%
I am a fan of literature and reading 37 54.41%
Other 8 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 1 2013, 06:27 PM   #31
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Re: What is the biggest reason that you read Trek novels/stories?

I like to read about Sisko, Kira, Picard, Odo, Ezri, Worf etc after their TV series and films ended, although I do like some of the new characters that were introduced -Vaughn, Taran'atar etc, although the new characters on the Enterprise-E have disappointed me.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 02:07 AM   #32
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

The characters on the E would have grown on me more if any of them lasted very long.
They should have introduced a new crew during the beginning of the relaunch and stuck with them from then on.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 03:58 AM   #33
A J
Ensign

I echo what several folks have already stated. I selected the first three options plus I just like to read.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 04:17 AM   #34
JWolf
Commodore

I didn't vote for the technology options. I read Trek for the characters/stories.

You don't get some of the emotion you get frm the books because of the technology. You get it because of the characters and the story.
Old March 2 2013, 12:04 PM   #35
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I just bleep over the technology. Some of the books have just flown by that way.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 12:13 PM   #36
Sho
Fleet Captain

I could actually do with a little more technology, provided it's actually cogent.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 01:48 PM   #37
EddyDrama
Lieutenant Junior Grade

For me, pretty much all of the options apply. The novelisation ofStar Trek First Contact was the first book that I ever read completely, I had started to read other books before that but I found reading very boring up until that. It was also in english and it was the summer before we started english classes at school, I had learned enough english from watching tv that I understood about 99% of the words in the book, had to check only a few word from dictionary. After First Contact I read the novelisation of All Good Things and after that the novelisation of Generations. So at first I was intrested only in the novelisations of the episodes and movies, and as I read more I also got more intrested in reading in general as well but mainly I read only Star Trek. I started to read all Star Trek novels that I could get my hands on because I was intrested in new adventures that I had not seen in tv.

Somewhere around 2001-03 I started to lose intrest in reading Star Trek, and apparently I lost a box filled with Treklit when moving, but I did go often to a bookstore and out of old habit always checked the Star Trek books but never bought any. Some of the Star Trek books never left my own bookshelf even when I never read that, one of them was First Contact as it was the first book I ever read. About year and a half ago I saw Christopher L Bennetts DTI book on a bookstore and decided to give it a try as it looked intresting. After reading it I realised that there has been a lot of things happening in treklit-verse and that I'm still intrested in Star Trek, so I started reading treklit all again. I buy the newest books and go through used-bookstores for the older books that I never read (and sometimes books that I have read but did not own them anymore). I even found some of the old Young Adult series books for euro a piece (havent had a chance to read them yet), I remember seeing them in bookstores back in the day but thought that I was too old to read them, even though as I understand they were written for teens and I was a teenager back then.

So basically I read because I enjoy reading and because I want to see what happens next in Star Trek.
EddyDrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 03:30 AM   #38
ryan123450
Commodore

I read Trek books because I love to be able to just jump right into a story already understanding the universe I'm in. I already know the characters and setting, and have an emotional investment in everything. I really enjoy continuing to follow the stories I've followed since childhood as well. I wouldn't be interested in Trek books at all if they didn't continue the storylines after the series. These are the same reasons I read the Star Wars EU and a few other media tie in series.

Old March 4 2013, 02:03 AM   #39
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Garrovick wrote: View Post
I sometimes wonder how people were able to keep up with everything that was being published between around 1995 through 2002 or so, when there were around 25 to 30 novels published every year.
I was able to keep up until DS9 came out and the miniseries stuff started. Then it was harder, and then basically impossible for me for at least 10 years. I'm catching up on some, but have discovered that others are ones that were never worth missing in the first place.

Halogen wrote: View Post
Hey, really illuminating responses. Thank you. Did not expect all the elaboration, especially.

I suppose I should weigh in on why I tend to shy away from trek fiction.

- When I pick up a book, part of the joy for me is learning about new characters, and having a new world skillfully laid out for me by the author.

- I do not like mixing formats. Wires get crossed in my brain when I'm reading a description of things I saw with my eyes on TV. Reading for me is a lot about the richness of the prose. So, while there is an interesting magic about reading words about familiar actions that create a character previously rendered only visually and aurally, for me I get a bitter taste. I have picked up one or two novels and was struck by the amount of words that went into describing the minutiae of Trek characters, like Picard pulling his shirt down, or Sisco having a loud and authoritative voice, etc.

Now, I am not criticizing those who like Trek fiction. Not at all. That's why I made a poll, so I could hear what motivates folks.

I would be interested in fic that diverges quite a bit from existing storylines. Any recs?
Do you mean the pro novels or fanfic? For pro novels, try John Ford's How Much For Just the Planet?. Hint: enjoying this novel is much easier for folks with an interest/background in music/drama/musical theatre.

If you mean fanfic, there's a forum here for that. Or PM me for other recommendations.

(p.s. I loathe Abrams, too)

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 02:36 AM   #40
ryan123450
Commodore

Or perhaps he means something along the lines of the Myriad Universes stories.