Star Trek Uniform Laptop Bag And Fanny Pack
By: T'Bonz on May 26

Star Trek: The Fifty Year Mission
By: T'Bonz on May 26

Where No Garden Gnome Has Gone Before
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Scotland Yard Trekkie Fear
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 3 2015, 09:01 PM   #1
scragnog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

TNG Bridge in Unreal Engine 4

Hey all!

So I've been working on and off on various TNG recreations for game engines for a few years. I started on the Source Engine before moving onto CryEngine and now finally settling for Unreal Engine 4 (did you know it went free on March 2nd? Awesome!)

It's a very powerful but ultimately forgiving engine as I know I don't follow the correct conventions or do things right but it pats me on the back and goes 'there there, I'll accept it'.

So I've resurrected a project I've been working on for quite a while, using assets previously created and getting it all working in Unreal Engine 4.

The first stage of this will be the Bridge from TNG, nothing like jumping in at the deep end!

Some very early screenshots below. At the moment there's very little texture work done and I'm just working on getting all the assets in place. But regardless of the insanely early stage I'm at, any comments and criticisms would be appreciated! When I'm happy with this, I'll release it as a standalone file with Oculus Rift and (assuming performance is up to par) GearVR support as UE4 supports these out of the box and I can test with both.

scragnog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2015, 09:42 PM   #2
Finn
Vice Admiral

Re: TNG Bridge in Unreal Engine 4

Is this TNG in the JJAbramsverse?
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2015, 10:12 PM   #3
scragnog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Finn wrote: View Post
Is this TNG in the JJAbramsverse?
Hah! The lens flares and various effects give me a good idea of how everything is lit at the moment. Obviously everything will be made much more subtle as I continue. Plus I'm a sucker for lens flares!
Old March 4 2015, 02:09 AM   #4
scragnog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just a quick update on what I got done this evening. I've fully textured up Data and Wesleys stations at the front of the bridge and made this quick (terrible frame rate) video of everything so far. Youtube link!
Old March 4 2015, 04:15 AM   #5
BeatleJWOL
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Cool start!
BeatleJWOL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2015, 11:58 AM   #6
scragnog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
Cool start!
Cheers. i think the biggest issues are gonna be screen-accurate lighting and colours. It's really hard to get the correct tone of something using the non Blu-Ray versions of the show. I might have to pop out and grab some of the Blu-Rays and use those as reference.
Old March 4 2015, 03:02 PM   #7
BeatleJWOL
Fleet Captain

scragnog wrote: View Post
It's really hard to get the correct tone of something using the non Blu-Ray versions of the show. I might have to pop out and grab some of the Blu-Rays and use those as reference.
Remember too that TrekCore has the screenshots available from the Blu-rays; they're up through season 5 by now, I think.
Old March 4 2015, 03:29 PM   #8
scragnog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's really hard to get the correct tone of something using the non Blu-Ray versions of the show. I might have to pop out and grab some of the Blu-Rays and use those as reference.
Remember too that TrekCore has the screenshots available from the Blu-rays; they're up through season 5 by now, I think.
Ooh very good point. I should be able to grab some hi-res screens from there then. Cheers for the heads-up!
Old March 5 2015, 01:08 AM   #9
BeatleJWOL
Fleet Captain

Ooh very good point. I should be able to grab some hi-res screens from there then. Cheers for the heads-up!
Just thought of this too: seasons 1, 3 and 5 are probably the best choices for ship shots, as they were done by CBS Digital and so the effects are improved over season 4 (and vastly improved, at least in terms of screenshots, over season 2).
Old March 9 2015, 01:45 AM   #10
scragnog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

A bit of an update to where I am with this. Running into all sorts of quirks with UE4 but so far I'm amazed by its capabilities.
Texturing is by far the most time consuming part of all this (I already had most of the models ready to go) but here's a few pics of how things are looking right now.

Old March 9 2015, 02:05 AM   #11
Albertese
Commodore

Wait... the command chairs could spin?

--Alex
Old March 9 2015, 02:17 AM   #12
scragnog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Albertese wrote: View Post
Wait... the command chairs could spin?

--Alex
Hah now you've made me question it! I'm sure I recall them turning in the chairs whilst talking. I'm positive that happened... I'll see if I can find any proof of it. If not I can just disable the spin!
Old March 9 2015, 02:33 AM   #13
JJohnson
Captain

Three things:
1. Your 3d modelling skills are amazing! The bridge looks shaped just like I remember it! I definitely can't wait to see more!
2. The lens flares are distracting and make the images look fogged up in some instances
3. The support for tactical, I'm not sure it was rounded on the front like that.

Please keep up the great work. I tried 3d a long time ago, and found I have little skill in it, so you have my admiration at your much much better skills in it. Keep going, and maybe even take it to some other rooms in the ship!
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2015, 09:18 AM   #14
QuinnTV
Lieutenant Commander

http://slightlywarped.com/crapfactor.../rare_s104.jpg

I have a recollection of the chairs swiveling as well. So far, I'm only able to come up with this picture, in which you can see Riker's chair turned toward the center seat quite a bit.
QuinnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2015, 03:02 PM   #15
scragnog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

JJohnson wrote: View Post
Three things:
1. Your 3d modelling skills are amazing! The bridge looks shaped just like I remember it! I definitely can't wait to see more!
2. The lens flares are distracting and make the images look fogged up in some instances
3. The support for tactical, I'm not sure it was rounded on the front like that.

Please keep up the great work. I tried 3d a long time ago, and found I have little skill in it, so you have my admiration at your much much better skills in it. Keep going, and maybe even take it to some other rooms in the ship!
Thanks! I'm pretty happy geometry-wise, it's the texturing and lighting that will make all the difference here. Plus I want to get some interaction going which will no doubt take time, but it'll be worth it.

Yeah I really should tone down the lens flare, it's needless post-processing that takes away from what's actually there.

Interestingly, the support isn't rounded, it's a flat surface> Something strange is happening with the lighting on that surface. Plus I need to add in the details that are on the support form season 3 onwards.