RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,403
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 624
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 28 2014, 08:41 AM   #556
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Re: Voyager again, for the first time

You'd think the Borg would have discovered cloning by now. They could take representative samples when a society is interesting enough then let it continue to develop is it will. Be more like pruning, while clones are generated to bring up drone numbers as necessary? The current method seems rather wasteful and ultimately stultifying to their purpose.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 09:57 AM   #557
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You're describing the 29th century assimilation process of the Borg, that was used on Mulcahey to no lasting ill effect in Drone from Season 5... Um... If the Borg adopted this method as standard, if Janeway wouldn't have stopped the Collective from adopting this method as standard, wouldn't this mean that the Borg would have immediately evolved past the point of needing to destroy lives to assimilate cultures and so therefore would have stopped destroying lives to assimilate cultures immediately?

In fact, with the Borg as they are striving for perfection, I do not think that they would have any interest in keeping their current stock of outmoded Drones once they had been outmoded. Trillions of outdated Drones no sexier or useful than Windows 95. It's just a question of if the retired Drones were going to be kicked out of the collective into space, or onto a planetbound landfill, or maybe even given a couple cubes to fly off in and make a life for themselves or if the Borg weren't complete fucking assholes put them back where they found them if their worlds of origin still existed.

Sure it's wrong to anyone else but Janeway to give species technology they are not ready for, just look at what happened to the Hirogen after Kathy gifted them Holodecks.

Hunted for sport by justifiably angry AI.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Oh.

Logically, I thought that since One was a clone of Mulcahey that Mulcahey and One were played by the same actor... That does seem reasonable right?

Apparently not. Boehmer is just a delight every time I find him hiding under a quart of latex or a German accent.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; May 28 2014 at 10:07 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 01:51 PM   #558
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
It seems a mystery why they are so "OH EARTH" all the time. But maybe it is because humans have some inferiority complex? Like they assimilate someone, a top science dude, and he's still thinking and being in his heart of hearts that he really doesn't know everything and might actually be a bit of fail. So then the Borg are like, okaaaaaay.. let's go get someone who does know it all. Rinse and repeat.

But you take a Vulcan, or a Klingon and they all like "I AM SUPERIOR" and "I AM THE MAN". So the Borg, who have a zero in psychology, think oh right, got everything we need here, no reason to pursue this race as a whole.
Another aspect of it could be "These bastards keep beating us, so clearly there's more to them than what we've assimilated up to this point. Let's go back and make sure we get it all"

Travelling back in time to wipe us out doesn't cover that. Unless the Borg Queen was a bit more petulant about it of "We are perfection, and I'm tired of you lot proving we're not. So I'm going to make sure you can't!"
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 09:24 PM   #559
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

She waited for Picard.

I mean REALLY waited.

The Queen could have gone back in time in Borgspace and then made her way to 21st century Earth.

Just a girl in love with a boy to shy to tell him about it.

Old May 28 2014, 10:54 PM   #560
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Logically, I thought that since One was a clone of Mulcahey that Mulcahey and One were played by the same actor... That does seem reasonable right?

Apparently not. Boehmer is just a delight every time I find him hiding under a quart of latex or a German accent.
I was surprised they didn't use Boehmer for Mulcahey as well. It was the character's first on-screen appearance, though he'd been mentioned in an earlier episode.

I think one of Boehmer's biggest roles on Trek was as Mestral in ENT: Carbon Creek.
Old May 28 2014, 11:02 PM   #561
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
And Voyager stunted you. Squashed your little brains into its petty definition of wonder and its instant fix "science". Pummeled you with racist and specieist truths all newspeaked into Federation ideals. GUTTED the Borg. How are you supposed to expand and grow after that happens?!

Thank goodness I had TOS. I never suffered like you young 'uns did.

I'll see your rabbit and raise you one brain.

We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 10:17 AM   #562
NightJim
Commander

Good Shepherd
Nice look at the crew who aren't the senior staff. And Tom Morello. I liked the presentation that each of the heads of department knew exactly who these people were and what the problems were too. Can't help but feel that it needed another five-ten minutes to show the crew having actually changed though, rather than just Janeway commenting she thought it was enough. The problems of television though.

Live Fast and Prosper
Genius title. Not a bad episode either. Nice change of pace to what we've been seeing. Nice use of the Doctor as well. Minor niggle of maybe the remote projector should have been spotted, well hidden but there.
Old June 10 2014, 12:39 PM   #563
NightJim
Commander

Muse

Man that was a creepy opening. Came across like some sort of cult rather than a play, but overall a nice episode, with some stinging criticism of modern TV thrown in there for good measure.

I'm worried about the next one. I've seen a lot of moaning about Fury on here, and I've seen it approaching. Now it's next I'm stuck... maybe a break for some Trek reading maybe?
Old June 10 2014, 12:47 PM   #564
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Janeway respects courage, NightJim.

Sit down with the popcorn and take it like a Voyager.

(Of course, I'm one of three people in the universe who likes that ep. )

ETA: I LOVE the way B'Elanna ended the play in muse.

KELIS: I'll be inspired every time I think of you.
TORRES: One to beam, to ascend to the heavens. (she transports away from the stage)
Old June 10 2014, 12:55 PM   #565
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I liked Fury but not for nice reasons.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 09:21 AM   #566
NightJim
Commander

lol you may have a point, but I finished the other book I'm reading last night and so am probably starting a Trek book later. But if I get time during the day I'll just get Fury over and done with so it's out the way.
Old June 11 2014, 11:17 AM   #567
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I loved how in the DeLaney sisters were made out to be such whores... Think about it. This only happened because B'Elanna shaped the narrative while explaining their purpose on the ship.

You didn't know that this Klingon was a mean girl?

Well, now you do.

Old June 11 2014, 11:40 AM   #568
Yanks
Fleet Captain

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
Janeway respects courage, NightJim.

Sit down with the popcorn and take it like a Voyager.

(Of course, I'm one of three people in the universe who likes that ep. )

ETA: I LOVE the way B'Elanna ended the play in muse.

KELIS: I'll be inspired every time I think of you.
TORRES: One to beam, to ascend to the heavens. (she transports away from the stage)
Make that 4!!

A fine performanced by Kellie Waymire as well. (snif)

I too loved the ending.
Old June 11 2014, 12:49 PM   #569
NightJim
Commander

I'm glad someone brought back the joke about the Delaney sisters. Seems that after they showed them the writers forgot about them.
Old June 12 2014, 07:23 PM   #570
lee249
Ensign

What i never understood was that Janeway ordered the destruction of the Caretakers array to prevent the Kazon getting their hands on the technology ultimately changing the balance of power in the Delta quadrant. BUT, wasn't voyager presented with another chance later on resulting in Janeway making a wrong decision?

Sorry, i forget which episode that was. It may have involved the Borg or when the ship established communications with earth through the Hirogen array they discovered (Similar to the Caretakers) which emitted similar pulses.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
lee249 is offline   Reply With Quote