Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 24 2014, 11:21 PM   #511
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Voyager again, for the first time

In the sickbay they had both a Caretaker's corpse and an enhanced Ocampan corpse.

You would think that genetically you clone some interesting shit out of that exotic biomatter.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 11:38 AM   #512
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Someone to Watch Over Me
I'm surprised this one came so late after Seven's introduction, only because it's one of those episodes I remember. Having never watched seasons 6 and 7, but hearing of Seven hooking up with Chakotay I remember getting super annoyed because it was meant to be the Doctor. Re-watching I've been struck at how that take might not have been right, how their relationship was much more student/teacher than him having a thing for her. That changes this episode, and watching it a little older, it feels a little worse for it.

11:59
One of those interesting flashback episodes that proves Voyager didn't give a shit about what had been established in previous treks for late 20th/early 21st century. All said, not a bad episode, if not very Trek. But a Mulgrew acting showcase, O'Donnell is very different to Janeway. Also, how much did she really contribute towards the genetic diversity of Janeway? She's obviously a late marriage for Mr Janeway, and he's already got a teenage son. Not that it matters, the whole point of it is what resulted from the memory of her, not her actual actions, but it was something that struck me as amusing.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2014, 08:40 AM   #513
NightJim
Commander

Relativity

Now that is an amazing opening to the episode. Also for a time jump, Seven and Janeway got to keep their memories, something Year of Hell needed to do for Paris and Chakotay to not make it a giant waste of time. I really liked the return of Braxton and his (non-psychotic) attitude towards Janeway, shame it's a different actor so the return had to be explained. Good time travel episode all round.
Old April 7 2014, 08:51 AM   #514
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

NightJim wrote: View Post
. . .shame it's a different actor. . .
Yeah, but it's Bruce McGill, so it's worth it. It's too bad he wasn't the original Braxton. I've been a fan since Animal House was released.
Old April 9 2014, 07:03 PM   #515
Mr_Homn
Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
NightJim wrote: View Post
. . .shame it's a different actor. . .
Yeah, but it's Bruce McGill, so it's worth it. It's too bad he wasn't the original Braxton. I've been a fan since Animal House was released.
He's great in his miami vice guest role too.
Old April 10 2014, 08:52 PM   #516
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Happy Birthday, NightJim!
Old April 11 2014, 10:00 AM   #517
NightJim
Commander

Thank you sir.
Old April 14 2014, 09:07 AM   #518
NightJim
Commander

Yesterday I was a little ill after a rather massive birthday night out, so I got a fair bit of Voyager watched.

Warhead
I was worried this was going to be another "oh we've found an AI that's dangerous and now we need to understand it" which admittedly it was, but transferring that AI into the Doctor raised it a few notches above yet another Prototype/Dreadnought rehash.

Equinox
Basically my yardarm for how much of Voyager I've originally seen. By watching this I'm 100% into unfamiliar territory. It's a lot later then I thought (and also I don't believe I ever saw the second part after watching it)
Damn that's a fine episode. I liked the mirroring of Ransom coming around as Janeway sank, and the portrayal of what could have been if Voyager hadn't stuck to Federation priniciples. What did the Equinox crew think was going to happen when they got back? The Federation would have strung them up for using the Aliens in that way.

Cool that remaining crew were brought onboard, and that Janeway busted them all down to crewmen. The characterisation of the Ensign Gilmore was a bit dodgy. She clearly didn't buy into Ransom's thinking, and used her work to ignore it. Yet the minute the breakout of holding she's all gun-ho. At least her switching sides with Ransom at the end helped a little. I kinda want to see more of the Equinox's journey through the Delta Quadrant, has there been any books or anything? Especially as when they were pulled there wasn't covered, other than the Caretaker again.

Survival Instinct
I liked it, pretty neat idea. Though I don't have much to say about it.

Barge of the Dead
... anyway

Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy
Picardo getting to act his arse off, which is always welcome. And the Aliens were a nice change from what Star Trek usually does. Fun episode.
Old April 20 2014, 05:31 PM   #519
NightJim
Commander

Alice
I honestly can't work out how I feel about this one. The Paris goes off on one and wants to be all independent again feels like incredibly worn ground, and someone needs to come up with some better material for the character. Then again, this is almost a subversion of that, as he's basically mind controlled into that pattern, which is a half decent redeeming feature, but still, it's really the same ground with some new top soil trying to hide the patches.

Riddles
A nice episode I nearly hated from the get go. The Neelix/Tuvok relationship felt like it moved on with Tuvix, and this episode ignores that and resets to Tuvok hating him, and once again relearning that maybe Neelix isn't that bad. Like 'Alice', this feels like the writing staff have no real idea of how to progress they're characters and instead are just retreading old ground hoping to pass it off as something new.
That said, Tim Russ' acting and childlike performance as mindwiped Tuvok help redeem it somewhat.
Old April 21 2014, 07:45 PM   #520
NightJim
Commander

Dragon's Teeth
After my last post moaning about them retreading old ground, this felt a little better. Admittedly the "Voyager falls for nice aliens who turn out to not be" isn't exactly original, but this at least did a nice spin on it anyway.

One Small Step
I loved this episode. Brilliantly done, and that little mention of the World Series by Seven, and Tom's smile, worked exceptionally well.

The Voyager Conspiracy
Incredibly hilarious. Been awhile since the show felt it could stick it's tongue in its cheek, and it does it incredibly well here.
Old April 23 2014, 12:48 AM   #521
BA56
Cadet

Re: Dragons Teeth.

Yes, the unspoken moral of voyager seems to be--"don't trust strangers".

The Voyager Conspiracy

I thought they could have explored paranoia a little more deeply here.
BA56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 06:26 PM   #522
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

BA56 wrote: View Post
Re: Dragons Teeth.

Yes, the unspoken moral of voyager seems to be--"don't trust strangers".
At least, not ones that look vaguely like cobras.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 11:04 PM   #523
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Encounter at Farpoint isn't even on my list. Heck I think banjos might even have improved it!
I'm currently rewatching Season 4 of Star Trek Deep Space Nine, but after I finished watching the rest of the season, I plan to return to watching Star Trek Voyager all over again from Season 1 to Season 7.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 02:15 AM   #524
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Barge of the Dead ... anyway
OMG... BotD is one of my top 10 shows.
Old April 27 2014, 02:40 AM   #525
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Kim runs up to the Captain in a desperate fuss... "Captain Janeway! Captain Janeway! Captain Janeway! Captain Janeway! Captain Janeway! PLEASE! I'm having these dreams about a girl who puts out and doesn't laugh at me for having feelings! Please let the Doctor medically induce me into a coma so that I can be with the woman I love! PLEASE!"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote